Buzzards at library

betsydema

Queen of the May
Does anyone know why dozens of buzzards are hanging around the Lexington Park Library?? They were standing around the parking lot in groups of three or more when I was there a few weeks ago. Then, I was back at the Lex Park Library a couple of days ago and the buzzards are still hanging around the parking lot, but even more are perched in the dead trees in back of the parking lot. Could someone be feeding them??? (They've got to eat also.) I've also noticed that there are cats hanging out in this area behind the parking lot. Wondering if there is a connection between the buzzards and cats. :cds:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Does anyone know why dozens of buzzards are hanging around the Lexington Park Library?? They were standing around the parking lot in groups of three or more when I was there a few weeks ago. Then, I was back at the Lex Park Library a couple of days ago and the buzzards are still hanging around the parking lot, but even more are perched in the dead trees in back of the parking lot. Could someone be feeding them??? (They've got to eat also.) I've also noticed that there are cats hanging out in this area behind the parking lot. Wondering if there is a connection between the buzzards and cats. :cds:

Hmmm...perhaps they heard about the birds and fish and decided to go to the library to get some information on how to avoid the same fate?

(I'm sorry...I couldn't help it...it was there, I just had to take the shot...)

Jannifer

It is really a odd scene for sure. Spooky. I do know there are a huge amount of fereal cats in that area also.

red_explorer

Colony

There is a huge colony of them near me too...all the time. They move in huge groups throughout the neighborhood...spooky but cool.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I saw them too! :lmao: When I went to that library for the first time about a month ago they were all over the place. I've been back a few times and haven't seen them again, though. :lol:

On another note, I happened to glance down at the bricks with people's names imprinted on them and saw "Tigger". :lol:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I happened to glance down at the bricks with people's names imprinted on them and saw "Tigger".
That might be what's drawing the buzzards there. They want to finish a meal then make a few flyovers. :lol:

H

HazyCloud

Could someone be feeding them??? (They've got to eat also.) I've also noticed that there are cats hanging out in this area behind the parking lot. Wondering if there is a connection between the buzzards and cats. :cds:
No one can feed buzzards (a.k.a. turkey vultures) unless they feed them dead flesh, because that is all they eat. If there is a connection between the buzzards and the feral cats, it is that the buzzards are feasting on the bodies of dead cats. However, buzzards roost in very large groups; maybe this is just where they like roosting at the moment and is not necessarily linked to a nearby food source.

aubriana

There is a huge colony of them near me too...all the time. They move in huge groups throughout the neighborhood...spooky but cool.

I was there about a month ago and there was very large buzzared standing on the curb at the rear of the parking lot at the edge of the woods just standing there with his wings spred completely spread out. I watched him for about 10 min and he never moved. It was REALLY creepy. When I came out of the library he was gone and as I drove by I looked down in the ravene and there must have been a hundred buzzards camped out there - like a scene out of a Hitchcock movie!

The next time I went to the Library I noticed a very large group of ferel cats... scattering everywhere

Wonder what awaits me on my next visit!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I was there about a month ago and there was very large buzzared standing on the curb at the rear of the parking lot at the edge of the woods just standing there with his wings spred completely spread out. I watched him for about 10 min and he never moved. It was REALLY creepy. When I came out of the library he was gone and as I drove by I looked down in the ravene and there must have been a hundred buzzards camped out there - like a scene out of a Hitchcock movie!

The next time I went to the Library I noticed a very large group of ferel cats... scattering everywhere

Wonder what awaits me on my next visit!
That would be a wake.

betsydema

Queen of the May
It is really a odd scene for sure. Spooky. I do know there are a huge amount of fereal cats in that area also.

All I can think of is that someone is feeding the feral cats which the buzzards are aware of and are waiting to feed on what the cats don't eat. Just a guess. Those buzzard are pooping all in the parking lot........think I'll go to the library in Leonardtown as I don't know what a wad of buzzard poop would do to the finish on my car.