Why you like Southern Maryland/ Things to do

Ohiogirl

I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside. For those who have lived here awhile, or even their entire lives... Why do you enjoy living in southern Maryland?? What does somd have, that other places don't? If someone was visiting from out of town, what should they see or visit here? I'm not putting somd down in any way, just trying to find a way to enjoy my time here.

Vince

Look hard enough and there's stuff to do depending on what you like. Been to Ohio and have many friends there, and in the winter up there you're stuck inside all the time. Snow, snow and more snow. At least down here you can get out of your house after a snowfall.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I spend a lot of time on the water and always have. Everything I like most about the county revolves around that.

Ohiogirl

Look hard enough and there's stuff to do depending on what you like. Been to Ohio and have many friends there, and in the winter up there you're stuck inside all the time. Snow, snow and more snow. At least down here you can get out of your house after a snowfall.

Yes, we can get out of the house after a snowfall here...but where to? I've looked up things to do, but really haven't found anything. We enjoy being outside, once it's warmer I plan on going to Point lookout state park. Try to catch a fish or two. Which reminds me, a local man said there is a place to find sharks teeth around here, and I'm not talking about the guy on 2-4 in Lusby :) Anyone know where that is?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I spend a lot of time on the water and always have. Everything I like most about the county revolves around that.
:yeahthat:

This time of year sucks. When the weather warms, there will be beaches, softball, baseball, fishing, hiking, Solomons, bike riding.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:high5: I was going to say the same thing! (I'm from Ohio)

Thing2 was in Ohio this weekend and there is 4" of snow on the ground up near Lake Erie. Talk about COLD!!

If the OP has been here since October (when they signed up here on the forums, anyway) they should have experienced our wonderful fall weather -and there is plenty to do in the fall!

Check out SOMD.com - there is a TON of information right on this site about what there is to do. You can search the forums for the threads on this topic, too.

Good luck!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside.

What do you all like to do? There's a bunch of stuff you all can occupy yourselves with.

When people come from out of town you want to take them to:

• DC
  • Annapolis
  • Colonial Beach
  • Picking crabs at a waterfront restaurant with outside dining
  • Plus there are a zillion "piss around" places that aren't all hopping with activity, but are still a nice day jaunt. Let us know if you want a list, because I'm not kidding - there are a zillion.

Everyone gets cabin fever during the winter, but there are still things to do. Welcome to SoMD!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yes, we can get out of the house after a snowfall here...but where to? I've looked up things to do, but really haven't found anything. We enjoy being outside, once it's warmer I plan on going to Point lookout state park. Try to catch a fish or two. Which reminds me, a local man said there is a place to find sharks teeth around here, and I'm not talking about the guy on 2-4 in Lusby :) Anyone know where that is?

You're not looking hard enough. :shrug:

No matter where in this area you live, we are a short drive from the Nation's Capital. There is plenty to do which could keep you busy for months. Or longer.

And you can walk in the spring, summer & fall - so you are outdoors. Bring a picnic lunch and eat on the Mall. Almost all is free, too.

Calvert Cliffs. Nice hiking down to the beach. Also Flag Ponds.

lilbitz

This is why I love it here (I'm from Montgomery County)
1. Practically every night from spring to fall, my family goes to Solomons to walk around, see the sunset and get the best Mango lemonade ever!
2. We go mountain biking and look for fossils at Calvert Cliffs state park
3. There is NO traffic
4. In winter, I take my daughter bowling, to the jump yard, to make pottery.
5. We live close to DC, so just yesterday we took a 1/2 day and went to the museums.
6. We go to downtown annapolis and look in the shops and then go the the mall too!
7. We go fishing
There are so many things to do here and never want to move anywhere else. I feel so much more relaxed here, and sometimes just want to stay in our house (which was way cheaper then if we stayed in Montgomery county)

Hope this helps!

Ohiogirl

You're not looking hard enough. :shrug:

No matter where in this area you live, we are a short drive from the Nation's Capital. There is plenty to do which could keep you busy for months. Or longer.

And you can walk in the spring, summer & fall - so you are outdoors. Bring a picnic lunch and eat on the Mall. Almost all is free, too.

I do want to check out DC and some malls, but am a little bit hesitant b/c of traffic. I don't know which highway we were on going thru DC, but I'm pretty sure the speed limit was 55 and people were doing 90. Once we exit the death trap of an interstate, do the roads get better?

Thanks for all the responses so far

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I do want to check out DC and some malls, but am a little bit hesitant b/c of traffic. I don't know which highway we were on going thru DC, but I'm pretty sure the speed limit was 55 and people were doing 90. Once we exit the death trap of an interstate, do the roads get better?

From SOMD you don't need to get on the interstate to go to DC.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

Calvert Cliffs. Nice hiking down to the beach. Also Flag Ponds.

:yeahthat:

Also, North Beach (no charge in off-season), Brownie's Beach in Chesapeake Beach(not sure about charge in off-season but probably not), or any other bayside beach area with sand. Hint: look for the lines of tiny pebbles close to the water line. You can find shark's teeth in all sizes, from itty, itty bitty to great big. If you haven't already, visit the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomon's Island -- great place to learn about the history of the area.

Other things to do:

check out these websites for places to visit in the Southern Maryland area:

winery tours -- there are plenty in this area

County Parks -- there are plenty in this area

As Bann said, check out the homepage for Southern Maryland (where you found this forum). There is always an events list there.

Good luck!

Vince

Got kids? Take them to the Air and Space museum or the Smithsonian. And you can't see it all in a day.

poster

Go straight up Rt4 is will take you right to the museums.
Go on a Sun in the early morning and there shouldn't be any traffic, you might even find parking right out front of one of them if your early enough.
It takes a day to see each museum (if you really take the time to look at everything). They're free and you can pack a lunch and find a bench.

Stop by a MD visitors center and they should have plenty of guides/maps and calendars of events to start you off. There's one on this side of the Potomac River bridge. Sure they have a web site also.

JOKER

Great Mills Rd
I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside. For those who have lived here awhile, or even their entire lives... Why do you enjoy living in southern Maryland?? What does somd have, that other places don't? If someone was visiting from out of town, what should they see or visit here? I'm not putting somd down in any way, just trying to find a way to enjoy my time here.

NUTHIN'
Go Back where you came from NOW !

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
NUTHIN'
Go Back where you came from NOW !

:smack:

Tons of places to eat! :buddies: Lenny's is good, Cafe De Artist, Tides, Chefs American Bistro, Red Robin, Olive Garden.

That's how I got be 756.5 lbs! At the rate I'm goin' I'll be a thousand pounds before June :buddies: