Calling all Wood Stove owners!

Commune

I'm hoping to build a new house soon. I was going to go with a Masonry Heater but can't afford the upfront costs so I'm going to go with a wood stove. It will be centralized in the house and I've already planned on a big opening above said stove so that the heat can easily make it's way upstairs which is where our living area will be. The house will be approx. 2400sqft and I'm just wondering what some of you other woodstove users have.

Have been looking at Lopi Liberty and Blaze Kings as there's not much of a selection for big woodstoves.

Thanks for any input.

General Lee

Can't got wrong with a Lopi or Blaze King, both good stoves. Might want to check out Jotul as well. Insulate the house well and get whats rated to heat the sq footage. Going to big and you may find yourself getting heated out of house and home as well as opening doors and windows to cool down.

Can't got wrong with a Lopi or Blaze King, both good stoves. Might want to check out Jotul as well. Insulate the house well and get whats rated to heat the sq footage. Going to big and you may find yourself getting heated out of house and home as well as opening doors and windows to cool down.

Been there. I had a huge parlor stove. The recommended stack temp for optimum efficiency was 500*. By the time the stack was running 500*, you couldn't stay in the room. Run it cooler, and you set yourself up for creosote buildup.

Oh, it was a Vermont Castings.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Definitely do 6" walls (well worth the expense) and DO NOT SKIMP ON WINDOWS! There is a lot more to a window than a piece of glass in a hole in the wall.

Pete

Repete
I immensely dislike wood. It is labor intensive, dirty, and unless you have wood on your property and willing to cut and split it, there can be some serious expense with buying it.

I am converting to gas as soon as I don't have wood left. For me it is free because I have a bunch of trees.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
I immensely dislike wood. It is labor intensive, dirty, and unless you have wood on your property and willing to cut and split it, there can be some serious expense with buying it.

I am converting to gas as soon as I don't have wood left. For me it is free because I have a bunch of trees.

Wimp! Love my wood burning stove. I bet you have a gas grill too?

Pete

Repete
Wimp! Love my wood burning stove. I bet you have a gas grill too?

Yup. I am just tired of wood. My entire life has included cutting, splitting, stacking, going to get more,buying, delivering, loading, unloading, sweeping up bark, saw dust, ash, bugs, chimney sweeping, screw it, bring on the gas.

Commune

Thanks for the input. My house although two story will pretty much be an open floor plan so I don't think the Liberty will be running me out of there. As far as wood, I already cut wood with my in laws and have friends with many trees so wood is no problemo. I will however be 'new' to wood stoves. Never had one so I'm assuming it will be a learning process. Grew up with a fireplace and am not a total dumbass but I know it will take some gettin' used to.

I know about the dirt and such that comes with burning wood and hauling it into the house so the placement of my stove is preplanned with that in mind. My only other problem is getting a chimney/pipe that can run up 14 or 15 feet without support till it hits the ceiling of the second floor.

I'm actually a carpenter that works for a local custom homebuilder so I got the walls, insulation, etc of the new house well in hand :wench:

General Lee

Thanks for the input. My house although two story will pretty much be an open floor plan so I don't think the Liberty will be running me out of there. As far as wood, I already cut wood with my in laws and have friends with many trees so wood is no problemo. I will however be 'new' to wood stoves. Never had one so I'm assuming it will be a learning process. Grew up with a fireplace and am not a total dumbass but I know it will take some gettin' used to.

I know about the dirt and such that comes with burning wood and hauling it into the house so the placement of my stove is preplanned with that in mind. My only other problem is getting a chimney/pipe that can run up 14 or 15 feet without support till it hits the ceiling of the second floor.

I'm actually a carpenter that works for a local custom homebuilder so I got the walls, insulation, etc of the new house well in hand :wench:

Sounds like your well on your way. You will figure out the wood stove burning part in no time. One thing of advice: Always try to be at least 1 year ahead or more on your wood supply. Your wood stove burning experience will be a lot more joyous with dry seasoned wood.

Vince

I immensely dislike wood. It is labor intensive, dirty, and unless you have wood on your property and willing to cut and split it, there can be some serious expense with buying it.I am converting to gas as soon as I don't have wood left. For me it is free because I have a bunch of trees.
:yeahthat: Got tired of wood and converted to a pellet stove about 5 years ago. I don't regret it one bit.

Pushrod

Patriot
We have a Hearthstone woodstove. It was one of the best purchases we have made for the house. Not only is it aestetically pleasing, by itself it keeps the house comfortable on the coldest of days. My favorite feature is the blocks of thick soapstone that continue to emit heat long after the fire is out. You put in a load of wood before you go to bed and close the damper and the stove will continue to heat the house for 8 or 9 hours.

Soapstone, Cast Iron and Contemporary Wood Stoves | Hearthstone Stoves

Annoying_Boy

Preach it brother!

Nobody ever got stitches from turning the thermostat up.

:killingme

golf_nut0

Hopefully one of you all can point me in the right direction.....I have an antique box wood stove that I am trying to get rid of. Is there a place locally that deals with buying and selling of antique wood stoves? It has all of the pieces and is in working order. If someone spent the time to clean it up, you could get up to ~ $2k for it. I have googled it and found a few places that sell them but do not buy them. I found one link that has the same stove that I have listed for $2,500. Thanks for any information that you might have.

Gatabout

Wood

Wood is a mess and filthy in the home, dust everywhere and constantly removing ash. Have you looked into pellet stoves will heat your whole house, no problem with no hot spots. Cheaper and cleaner than wood, only problem is no electricity no heat.:dye: