The Kennedys miniseries: Let the public watch it

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"With heroic disdain for cheap reality shows and tawdry sexcoms, a big television network schedules a dramatic miniseries that takes a critical look at a popular presidency. Rapacious corporate interests intervene, pressuring the network to cancel it. What happens next?

Well, if the popular president is named Reagan, then America's political progressives revolt against censorship, insisting that the marketplace of ideas can't be ravaged by mega-corporate leviathans. Another network steps up -- the series airs! The First Amendment triumphs.

But if the popular president is named Kennedy, the story ends differently. Very differently. Suppression of political criticism becomes corporate good citizenship. Other networks sniff that the show just isn't right for them. And progressives triumphantly take to the Internet to brag about their role in ideological repression: "We Won! Thanks to you The History Channel has canceled The Kennedys miniseries!''

The Kennedys reportedly is harshly critical of the political dynasty, taking a tough look at the way patriarch Joe Kennedy used his bootlegging wealth to buy influence as well as the compulsive womanizing of his presidential son, John. I say "reportedly'' because we haven't seen it and perhaps never will."

Read more here.

Pete

Repete
It's funny that a show supposedly critical of the lefty darlings the Kennedy's get squashed and no network will touch it, yet that hackjob on Bush "W" was on Showtime 6 times a day for 2 months and no one had a problem with that.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

bcp

In My Opinion
After JKF,, and for that matter Before JKF, all the Kennedy's were total Pieces of crap.
Not a one worth the paper his name was written on. The worst of them was that now worm food commi Ted, May Satan torture his soul.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Joe Kennedy gets such a bad rap that it's annoying. Yes, he was a bootlegger. Yes, he was a scoundrel. Yes, he bought his kid the presidency.

So what?

I consider the Kennedys a great American story. Joe's grandparents came here in the mid-1800s because they were starving to death in Ireland, and from those lowly beginnings, a dynasty was born. Where else can something like that happen but in America?

I'm not going to give his worthless descendants any credit, because most of them haven't done a damn thing except live off the trust funds Joe set up for them, and run around playing politics because it's better than getting a real job. Oh, and a couple of them ran or supported charities because that's what the idle rich do to make themselves feel...less idle and rich.

But I love Joe and Rose Kennedy and think their more unsavory aspects are what make them such a great story.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Joe Kennedy gets such a bad rap that it's annoying. Yes, he was a bootlegger. Yes, he was a scoundrel. Yes, he bought his kid the presidency.

So what?

I consider the Kennedys a great American story. Joe's grandparents came here in the mid-1800s because they were starving to death in Ireland, and from those lowly beginnings, a dynasty was born. Where else can something like that happen but in America?

I'm not going to give his worthless descendants any credit, because most of them haven't done a damn thing except live off the trust funds Joe set up for them, and run around playing politics because it's better than getting a real job. Oh, and a couple of them ran or supported charities because that's what the idle rich do to make themselves feel...less idle and rich.

But I love Joe and Rose Kennedy and think their more unsavory aspects are what make them such a great story.

I bet you think Bonnie and Clyde is a love story to rival Romeo and Juliet.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Joe Kennedy made sure his male prodginy got into politics and was grooming Joe Jr for the POTUS. Too bad he had to settle for Jonny boy. Then he made sure his kids passed legislation that would help them maintain power and wealth. Know all that money the fed gives away to foundations? Guess what political family started that corporate charity?

ImnoMensa

So what?

Joe committing adultery with Gloria Swanson. Even having her stay at the compound while his wife was there, kinda rubbing it in , I guess. Joe Kennedy, the anti Semite,who argued for the appeasement of Hitler and wanted the United States to stay out of any conflict that might occur between Britain and Germany.As Roosevelt's ambassador to Britain, despised the British, supported the Nazis and predicted, after the fall of France, that Hitler would be in Buckingham Palace in a fortnight.

Joe Kennedy who In 1941, without the knowledge of his wife, had his daughter Rosemary lobotomised.

Not the guy I would love so much, but he was certainly unsavory.

bcp

In My Opinion
Know all that money the fed gives away to foundations? Guess what political family started that corporate charity?

Typical lib
makes sure his wealth is protected, then forces those with less to support charities that he will get the credit for.
If he really cared that much about charity, you would think he would have spent his own money.
This same method can be seen today in the form of social services. We as taxpayers have no choice but to pay to support others and give them benifits, while the majority of those calling for the benefits insure that the tax cut off is set to a limit to protect themselves from the expense.

Bavarian

Joe committing adultery with Gloria Swanson. Even having her stay at the compound while his wife was there, kinda rubbing it in , I guess. Joe Kennedy, the anti Semite,who argued for the appeasement of Hitler and wanted the United States to stay out of any conflict that might occur between Britain and Germany.As Roosevelt's ambassador to Britain, despised the British, supported the Nazis and predicted, after the fall of France, that Hitler would be in Buckingham Palace in a fortnight.

Joe Kennedy who In 1941, without the knowledge of his wife, had his daughter Rosemary lobotomised.

Not the guy I would love so much, but he was certainly unsavory.

He may not have been perfect, but not too many aristocratic families were. At least he wanted to keep the U.S. out of the European War, WWII, just like President Washington said in his "Farewell Address to the Nation".

For an example of a Holy, good and peaceful leader, check out Kaiser Karl of Austria during the First World War where he tried to stop it before it started.

Matthew

He may not have been perfect, but not too many aristocratic families were. At least he wanted to keep the U.S. out of the European War, WWII, just like President Washington said in his "Farewell Address to the Nation".

For an example of a Holy, good and peaceful leader, check out Kaiser Karl of Austria during the First World War where he tried to stop it before it started.

You are forgetting that we would have been content to settle scores with the Japanese alone, but Adolph ad his pet monkey, Benito decided to declare war on us in support of their Axis buddy. This even though in Mein Kampf, Hitler was just as disparaging of Asians as he was of the rest of the non Aryan untermensch.

Joseph Kennedy hated the Brits for their brutal occupation of Ireland as well as their refusal to return the Northern Counties. In that way is he similar to the Kenyan mutant and his father.

Bavarian

Read "Hitler, Churchill and the Unnecessary War" by Pat Buchanan. Churchill orchestrated the War. He got FDR in so as to have help and FDR figured he would get out of the depression. Churchill declared war on Germany first after the invasion of Poland. He wanted war to "protect the territorial integrity of Poland" and Poland was lost to Russia.

Churchill made it look to Hitler that the U.S. was going to declare war on Germany, so he declared war on U.S. first, he was duped.

If the U.S. had stayed out of the First World War, it would have soon ended in a mutual truce, and no defeated, broken Germany would have been swayed by Adolf Hitler as their saviour.

ImnoMensa

If we had stayed out of the European war , Hitler would probably have won it, and after he finished with Jews ,Catholics, and Homosexuals who would be next in his concentration camps

Bavarian

We will never no what would have happened. Not all Jews went to Concentration camps.

I still think that if the U.S. had stayed out of WW I, there would have been no Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini.

Last edited: