Propane Fireplace Insert

Wrkn4livn

I need recommendations on a local fireplace installer...
We have a propane fireplace but the doors are gone and its putting soot into the house. I guess a new fireplace with new logs and glass doors would be the best way to go. So far, all I've seen are kits and I would need to do the work. I'm looking for an installer so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We have a propane fireplace but the doors are gone and its putting soot into the house. I guess a new fireplace with new logs and glass doors would be the best way to go. So far, all I've seen are kits and I would need to do the work. I'm looking for an installer so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

We got ours (and they are installing next week) at Taylor Gas.

Our old house had one installed by them and never had an issue so stayed with them. There's a fireplace and Hearth Store in Waldorf, Taylor beat their price by about 6k.

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!

Thanks

Tri County Hearth and Patio in Waldorf! Located on 925.

vince77

Tri County Hearth and Patio in Waldorf! Located on 925.

they have a lot of options, nice stuff, but they are expensive.....I had them put gas logs in my fireplace.....three units burned up within a month...got a refund...had a place in PF come, the guy said the logs they put in were too big for the firebox, he installed a properly sized set, they've worked flawlessly for 6 years....he couldn't believe they kept putting the same large set in my fireplace and couldn't figure out they were too large....

Thanks

I have one I installed and it was a cheapy. Never had an issue with soot. Maybe get a newer model? I don't even have doors, just a movable glass thing to put in front of it. Maybe you aren't letting it get enough air? Well, I guess with no doors it is.

Annoying_Boy

Thanks

Be sure to study the user/installation manual of whichever one it is you are going to buy. If it's not installed correctly the fireplace is going to leak so much cold air into your home you'll wish you never bought it. And just the opposite in the summer.

:coffee:

Be sure to study the user/installation manual of whichever one it is you are going to buy. If it's not installed correctly the fireplace is going to leak so much cold air into your home you'll wish you never bought it. And just the opposite in the summer.

:coffee:

Not if you block off the chimney.

Annoying_Boy

Not if you block off the chimney.

I'm not talking chimneys. Most homes have them built into a "chase," which is an extruding enclosure off the home just for the fireplace. If the chase isn't insulated and done to manufactur's instructions/specifications, you're going to hate that fireplace.

As we speak, mine has a towel in front of the bottom to keep the wind from blowing into the house.

:popcorn:

I'm not talking chimneys. Most homes have them built into a "chase," which is an extruding enclosure off the home just for the fireplace. If the chase isn't insulated and done to manufactur's instructions/specifications, you're going to hate that fireplace.

As we speak, mine has a towel in front of the bottom to keep the wind from blowing into the house.

:popcorn:

Ah. Gotcha.

Pete

Repete
We got ours (and they are installing next week) at Taylor Gas.

Our old house had one installed by them and never had an issue so stayed with them. There's a fireplace and Hearth Store in Waldorf, Taylor beat their price by about 6k.

Beat the price by $6K? How much did the damn thing cost?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Beat the price by $6K? How much did the damn thing cost?

When we priced out what we wanted in Waldorf we left there with a quote well over 8k. 42 inch burner, cabinet, base and doors and we still would have had to pay a gas company to come out and install the gas lines and tank.

When we priced out what we wanted in Waldorf we left there with a quote well over 8k. 42 inch burner, cabinet, base and doors and we still would have had to pay a gas company to come out and install the gas lines and tank.

I payed $175 for mine plus some copper pipes and a tank. Oh, I had to rent a hell of a hammer drill to get though the outside of the fireplace into the house.
I already had the fireplace there.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I payed $175 for mine plus some copper pipes and a tank. Oh, I had to rent a hell of a hammer drill to get though the outside of the fireplace into the house.
I already had the fireplace there.

In both cases I think the actual burner (insert) was the cheapest major piece. The cabinet was the majority of the cosr

willie

I got an 18" ventless from Taylor a few years ago. It has performed very well and we are thinking of adding a second one. It was $2142 and included everything.

Annoying_Boy

When the fireplace install goes bad...

This is what air leakage into your home looks like when the fireplace isn't properly sealed.

That's a picture of the temperature of the floor in front of my fireplace from the cold air rushing in around it.

:jameo:

Attachments

• family.room.fireplace.outdoor.temp.23.degrees.jpg
    family.room.fireplace.outdoor.temp.23.degrees.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 81