Oil Furnace

redheadedhussy

Does anyone know if you have to bleed the line with an oil furnace to restart it? I've hit the reset button, the motor will come on for a few minutes, then cuts off.

Does anyone know if you have to bleed the line with an oil furnace to restart it? I've hit the reset button, the motor will come on for a few minutes, then cuts off.

Not usually. You probably have another issue, like a dirty oil filter or a mis-firing electrode.

You sure you have fuel?

Last edited:

There is a bleeder valve on the pump of some models. I've never had to use mine though. The tech had to try about 6 times before all the air was out last time. Wait several minutes before retrying. You could also take off your filter and see if it has fuel in it.

R

rhenderson

Why did the furnace cut off? Out of oil? If it only an empty oil tank you should be able to restart it with the reset button.

If you have oil then and it doesn't restart with the reset then it time for a service call. If the filter was replaced recently it should not be the problem. Even so a furnace will usually start and run for several minutes even with the dirty filter. The problem I've run into most with furnace not starting with the reset is the electric eye that senses when there's flame in the fire box is either dirty or not working.

I'm in the La Plata area and use Southern Pride for our service.

smilin

BOXER NATION
There is a bleeder valve on the pump of some models. I've never had to use mine though. The tech had to try about 6 times before all the air was out last time. Wait several minutes before retrying. You could also take off your filter and see if it has fuel in it.

We had the same problem, checked fuel, emergency switch, circuit breaker, then called service. Found out the electronic control module was blown, replaced it - twice.
Tough day to happen, but then there seems to be a lot of oil repair trucks out and about this morning.
Good luck.

Tough day to happen, but then there seems to be a lot of oil repair trucks out and about this morning.
Good luck.

Seems to be the way.... the number of oil burner failures is proportional to the decrease in temp. The colder and more miserable it is, the more furnaces seem to fail.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of my oil burners sits well above the tank; if it runs out of oil (and it has a few times) then I have to use the bleeder and purge air to get the furnace to re-start. Every time.

The other one sits so that the fuel pump is below the level of oil in the tank and it self-primes OK.

Note also that not all systems are dual line and hence recirculating (which makes it easier to self-prime). If you have only a single line betwen your tank and your furnace, that setup almost always requires manual bleeding to get it to prime and start.

Katt

obviously, you need to bleed the air out of the line if you ran out of fuel. If you haven't had your system serviced this year yet, it also might just be a dirty oil filter that's clogged up and in that case, you need a new filter, then bleed the line, then restart. Could also be the igniter gone bad. I've had most all of my furnaces' parts replaced over the years. It never fails, when it's the coldest and on weekends is when breakdowns happen!

redheadedhussy

One of my oil burners sits well above the tank; if it runs out of oil (and it has a few times) then I have to use the bleeder and purge air to get the furnace to re-start. Every time.

The other one sits so that the fuel pump is below the level of oil in the tank and it self-primes OK.

Note also that not all systems are dual line and hence recirculating (which makes it easier to self-prime). If you have only a single line betwen your tank and your furnace, that setup almost always requires manual bleeding to get it to prime and start.

Thanks, I thought I remembered my father doing that (many moons ago), will give it a try. Our burner does set well above the tank and we were out of oil.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Running it out of fuel isn't good and you could have sucked up some garbage if you tried to fire the furnace up too soon after the refill. I suspect that you have trash in the filter or have a plugged nozzel. When was the unit last serviced?

redheadedhussy

Running it out of fuel isn't good and you could have sucked up some garbage if you tried to fire the furnace up too soon after the refill. I suspect that you have trash in the filter or have a plugged nozzel. When was the unit last serviced?

Last year, January 2010.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Look at your pump and see how many copper lines run to it; 1 line= you must prime, 2 lines= it primes it self. If you let it sit for a little bit after you added fuel before you try to start it you should be ok to bleed it, if not then you might as well replace the nozzle. If it wont start and it is a 2 line system, you have more problems than just air

Look at your pump and see how many copper lines run to it; 1 line= you must prime, 2 lines= it primes it self. If you let it sit for a little bit after you added fuel before you try to start it you should be ok to bleed it, if not then you might as well replace the nozzle. If it wont start and it is a 2 line system, you have more problems than just air

I was wondering if filling the filter holder with fuel or K-1 would get it going. Like I was saying the tech had a problem restarting mine (dual line). He looked at the filter, but said it was clean. It had just been changed, but then I ran out. Anyway the filter didn't have much fuel in it when he looked at it.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you ran empty, it could very well have picked up a bunch of nasty stuff. Happened to a buddy of mine recently, two line filter, took it apart, cleaned the filter element, has worked fine since.