Thinking of moving to Waldorf, recomendations?

steppinthrax

I was refered here by City Data. I live in White Marsh, Baltimore county. I got a new job in D.C. I also want to be closer to D.C. since most of my occupations will lie in that area. I remember when I was growing up Waldorf (5yo during the early 90s) was a pretty ruff area. There were a lot of security issues. I also remember a lot of night clubs were there. I got a job in D.C. and a couple of people told me waldorf has became a "bedroom" community. I have a wife and two children. I don't want to expose them to bad schools.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I wouldn't move there. I moved out of Waldorf 2yrs ago. Its too busy and has become PG south.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I did a school comparision, the schools are supposetly a better then baltimore county.

I would check out anyplace but Waldorf, more people = more problems.
Depends on what you are looking for, as usual. Most who live there like the proximity to DC, shopping etc. Everybody hates the traffic.
Don't stop at school reports, look at crime reports and traffic reports.
If you want that Urban feel in the country, Waldorf is your best bet. Ask any Waldorfian about living in Chuck county.
:killingme

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Waldorf = :jameo: but compared to Baltimore County = :yay:

Do your homework on places to live, (crime, schools) if the area gets too bad too fast it will be hard to offload any residence you aquire... :coffee:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Coming from Baltimore, Waldorf will appear wonderful. Stepping, you have to realize most of the forum posters live in more rural areas, so any kind of "city life" is horrid. Whereas you are going to think Waldorf is rinky dink in comparison to Baltimore. :smile:

There are good neighborhoods and bad, like anywhere. Just do your research and talk to an area realtor. Try to visit any homes your are interested in during the daytime and evening. It will give you a better idea of the neighborhood. I did the commute from DC for years, and that's not too bad.

Other towns to consider Laurel, Crofton, Annapolis, Indian Bridge and Brandywine. Also, don't rule out northern Calvert County. That would really be a bedroom community instead of a suburb and wouldn't be too bad of a commute. There are also commuter buses that run route 4 that you could pick up. Good luck.

Look at the MTA Commuter Bus lines. Does one work for where you work? Base your place of residence on access to that line. Northern St. Mary's is easy access to the main DC bus lines and St. Mary's is MUCH better than Waldorf.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Rough area in the early 90's? I lived in Baltimore County in the early/mid 90's, where I moved from Waldorf... There were some seriously rough areas in Balt. Co, much worse than Waldorf and even parts of White Marsh were certainly not where I'd want to raise kids.

Now, I live in Northern St. Mary's County and am quite happy with the schools here. It is a reasonable commute to Washington.

But we looked in Waldorf when we moved here 9 years ago and at that time, Malcolm Elementary was a highly rated school (I think it still is, but I haven't checked lately). And the area around that school is a better neighborhood than it was when I went there in the 70's because an effort was made to clean the place up in the mid-90's. Other areas may be worse and get more attention because of it, but there are still nice places. The schools draw from multiple neighborhoods and there will be problem children in all of them, but you'll get that everywhere to a certain extent.

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!
I was refered here by City Data. I live in White Marsh, Baltimore county. I got a new job in D.C. I also want to be closer to D.C. since most of my occupations will lie in that area. I remember when I was growing up Waldorf (5yo during the early 90s) was a pretty ruff area. There were a lot of security issues. I also remember a lot of night clubs were there. I got a job in D.C. and a couple of people told me waldorf has became a "bedroom" community. I have a wife and two children. I don't want to expose them to bad schools.

Looking to buy?, I know of a nice home on the market in Pinefield...I can pm you the MLS listing....perfect for a family.....inground pool, rec room....4 br....nice house.

dadswrx

Don't know if this was directed to me, but I'll respond anyway.

Route 4 (Pennsylvania Ave) is a straight shot from Calvert County into DC, so you never get on the beltway or Rte 301. But it really depends where in DC you are working. I work near the Navy Yard so I take Rte 4 to Suitland Parkway. It takes about 40 minutes each way and that includes stopping at the park and ride to meet with the car pool.

How is route 301 v.s. 95. In the morning 6 am weekday etc.... (going north of course)

jsouthan

I second the vote for Northern Calvert County. Its close to DC and shopping, but not too close.
I also give a big :yay: to northern Calvert. Hubby commutes to Roslyn in less than hour at 6am. The commuter bus from behind the Safeway in Dunkirk is a nice, easy commute. When hubby was at the Pentagon, he did that and would take a nice, little nap on the way there and back. Schools in Calvert are some of the best in Maryland.