St Mary's Co Schools- Two hour delay

FED_UP

St. Mary's County Schools 2 Hours Late, Code 1, No AM Pre-K

Yea, could be some icing out now being that it is 27 degree in Great Mills and the roads got wet with the little bit of snow. I don't remember seeing any pre-salt around this area yesterday, that might not be a good thing.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yea, could be some icing out now being that it is 27 degree in Great Mills and the roads got wet with the little bit of snow. I don't remember seeing any pre-salt around this area yesterday, that might not be a good thing.
Yea, I didn't see any of the pretreatment stuff either. Roads in the area of the base looked pretty much dry. At least Chancellors and Pegg were.

Rt. 5 between Gallant Green and Bryantown light was VERY slick at 6:30. Thankfully no traffic backup. I saw 1 powerpole that had been taken out by an accident that happened before 6 (traffic report at 6:08 mentioned it) and signs of 3-4 more cars going off the road. I slowed to 30 due to slipping and was not the slowest car on the road.

OldHillcrestGuy

Rt. 5 between Gallant Green and Bryantown light was VERY slick at 6:30. Thankfully no traffic backup. I saw 1 powerpole that had been taken out by an accident that happened before 6 (traffic report at 6:08 mentioned it) and signs of 3-4 more cars going off the road. I slowed to 30 due to slipping and was not the slowest car on the road.

That accident with the power pole caused a traffic jam at 530, just missed taking out that new fence, vehicle had just been put on the tow truck when I came through. Was very slick from 488 up to Forest Park.

BOP

You know, every time I hear of schools closing or delaying for what effectively is no snow at all, I think "what a bunch of gd pussies Southern Marylanders are."

Check this out: Oklahoma sees record cold: -31 - Weather - msnbc.com

Oklahoma sees record cold: -31
Arkansas also in deep freeze: 'Minus 17 with about 20 inches of snow ... I've never seen anything like it,' cattleman says

I have. Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale.

Delay school for 2 hours. Close the schools for a day. Cheeze and crackers, people! Try SIX days out of school! That's in 1 friggin' stretch! Not the whole winter! I remember riding on a school bus and getting stuck in drifts, having to have a farmer come tow us out with the old John Deere. Crap, if we didn't go to school on account of weather, that meant the school probably wasn't there any more.

Grow some, SMIBs, stop babying your brats.

terbear1225

A child died last night on the icy roads. They made the right call.

:yeahthat:

it's easy to armchair quarterback and whine about schools making the wrong call and say "stop babying the brats".

it's not easy to be there and try to comfort those "brats" as they find out that one of their friends died on those roads.

FED_UP

A child died last night on the icy roads. They made the right call.

Yea I read that, wow 16 year old girl, she had to of just gotten her license at that age I guess. I think its best to take your kids out on all weather conditions while they are learning and let them watch you, and they can see how cautious you are being as you point things out to them. In the process of teaching mine now :cds:

You know, every time I hear of schools closing or delaying for what effectively is no snow at all, I think "what a bunch of gd pussies Southern Marylanders are."

:blahblah::blahblah: Grow some, SMIBs, stop babying your brats.

Screw you. They made the right decision. Roads were very slick.

toppick08

Arkansas also in deep freeze: 'Minus 17 with about 20 inches of snow ... I've never seen anything like it,' cattleman says

Delay school for 2 hours. Close the schools for a day. Cheeze and crackers, people! Try SIX days out of school! That's in 1 friggin' stretch! Not the whole winter! I remember riding on a school bus and getting stuck in drifts, having to have a farmer come tow us out with the old John Deere. Crap, if we didn't go to school on account of weather, that meant the school probably wasn't there any more.

:drama:.....Let me wash my panties..:ohwell:

awpitt

Main Streeter

The whole mood seems to be different now days than the 70s or early 80s. I grew up un Washington County and the busses had built in sand applicators around the rear wheels and we went to school quite a few times when the buses had chains on. We just had to go go to school because if they'd closed everytime it snowed then we would've been goging to school well into July. Now, it snows a lot more in that area than it does in SoMD and I notice that Washington County has a lot more school closures now than they did when I was growing up. So it's just that the mood has changed a lot to the point where school systems everywhere are a lot more likely to close due to weather that would've meant an on time opening years ago. I'm often critical of the school system when it closes for something like an inch or less of snow; however, I can't fault them for doing a delayed opening, even on a morning like yesterday when things are iffy. St. Mary's is unique in that the ground can be dry in St. Inigoes when, at the same time, there can be two inches of snow on the ground in Mechanicsville. Even when I was growing up, Washington County had quite a few delayed openings; however, they weren't because of road conditions. The delays were for the benefit of the bus drivers so they would have extra time to get the buses cleaned off and on the road and so the custodians could make sure parking lots were passable. In the end, I agree with SMCPS's call yesterday.

nomoney

and I bet you walked 5 miles uphill three times a day too.....waa waa waa......I'm sorry you've hit the I'm so old stage, all I have to look forward to is b!tching about stupid #### now.

I saw two accidents on my road alone on my way to work yesterday morning,due to ice. This time they made the right call.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Now, it snows a lot more in that area than it does in SoMD and I notice that Washington County has a lot more school closures now than they did when I was growing up. So it's just that the mood has changed a lot to the point where school systems everywhere are a lot more likely to close due to weather.

They don't close for the weather, they close for the lawyers

BOP

Screw you. They made the right decision. Roads were very slick.

Bite me, SMIB. The 16 year old, may she rest in peace, was out at night. I was out at 0530 in both Calvert and St Mary's. The roads were fine. Everywhere. Even the side road off the side road off the side road I live on wasn't slick, and trust me, it freezes before bridges freeze.

Okay, the parking lots were a little exciting in places, but other than that, no reason whatsoever for them to not send the buses out. You are teaching your children to hide inside at the slightest sign of adversity.

BOP

and I bet you walked 5 miles uphill three times a day too.....waa waa waa......I'm sorry you've hit the I'm so old stage, all I have to look forward to is b!tching about stupid #### now.

I saw two accidents on my road alone on my way to work yesterday morning,due to ice. This time they made the right call.

You saw them...you probably caused them, noload.

Old has got nothing to do with it. We're pussifying this country, and this is the kind of thing that contributes to that.

nomoney

You saw them...you probably caused them, noload.

Old has got nothing to do with it. We're pussifying this country, and this is the kind of thing that contributes to that.

You're right, the county is becomming pussified. Old farts get on these forums and cry and moan about the littlest stupid sh!t now.