New Riding Mower

I am probably going to buy a new mower this spring. Old one is pretty worn out.

Yard is is hilly. Both up and down hill and across the hill cutting.

Want a pressure oil system, 42"-46" cut and 23" rear tires. <$2000.

Briggs vs. Kohler?

Any recommendations? I doubt there is a "real" JD I can get for that price.

I have a Kohler on my JD 265. Even when it's tuned up, it's always been a bit hard to start. Never fails to start, but sure takes it's time getting going. Qualify with: it's at least 25 years old. In that time I've only had to replace a coil. Mower deck is starting to rust thru n a bunch of places, so I might have to see about replacing that.

I wouldn't have big heartburn with either motor. Absolutely love the pneumatic infinitely variable drive.

Briggs vs. Kohler?

FYI, the mower that is to be replaced is a 2002 LT1000 42" Craftsman w/ 17.5 HP briggs splash oiler and hydrostatic transmission. It can no longer make it up the hill behind my house, transmission lets go until I get to lesser grade and then it will drive again.

FYI, the mower that is to be replaced is a 2002 LT1000 42" Craftsman w/ 17.5 HP briggs splash oiler and hydrostatic transmission. It can no longer make it up the hill behind my house, transmission lets go until I get to lesser grade and then it will drive again.

This happened to my JD. All it needed was a new power belt and adjustment.

Briggs vs. Kohler?

I have a briggs on my push mower that rarely gets used. It almost always starts first pull. The rider has a Kohler always been balky to start.
It's only 16hp, I need more.

ginwoman

We got a Husquverna (sp) last fall from Sears in Wildewood. So far we're not real impressed by it. And I think the guys at Sears that assembled it must have just thrown it together.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
All the belts have been replaced.

SAME EXACT PROBLEM.. it's not your belts. (I have a few hills to go up and down as well)

I don't know the year, but I have a craftsman hydro, my uncle found out that the transmission pump or something around that nature had went, replaced that, and the tractor is golden! Something to think about if you want to save some cash...

He also told me, that having the hills I have, its hard on a hydro system and that going with a straight geared tractor would be better. The luxury of hydro is sweet in all, but if you decide to go with a new tractor, might be something to look at/think about..

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Briggs vs. Kohler?

I'd stay away from Lowe's and Sears it seems most yard tractors are all made buy the same company. Doesn't matter if you buy a Husky a. Craftsman or a JD they all come from AYP.

I do agree with basing the purchase on type of engine, any of them come with Honda motors?

Don't know if they still have any left but Carroll's had a nice selection of used machines that a church traded in. All 300 and 500 series models. They looked lightly used
And were in good shape.

Oh, and Yanmar diesels ROCK!

I'd stay away from Lowe's and Sears it seems most yard tractors are all made buy the same company. Doesn't matter if you buy a Husky a. Craftsman or a JD they all come from AYP.

I do agree with basing the purchase on type of engine, any of them come with Honda motors?

Don't know if they still have any left but Carroll's had a nice selection of used machines that a church traded in. All 300 and 500 series models. They looked lightly used
And were in good shape.

Oh, and Yanmar diesels ROCK!

I have yet to find a Honda engine.

Checked Carrol's page. The used x500 is out of my price range. WAY out of my price range. No 300's listed.

Last edited:
JD, but only from a JD dealer, not one of the home store knockoffs. I have heard some good about Cub, but never personally had one.

My JD 48" is at least 20 years old (bought it with the house in '94, house seller gave me a good deal) . Haven't had anything major fail. On the few occasions where it needed repair, Carrolls comes right to the house. If it can't be fixed there, it goes on the truck and off to the shop at no extra cost to me. Always returned promptly and never had any issues with repairs done. Not sure you'll see service like that with any of the others.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Looks like there are now two major yard tractor manufacturers..

MTD (cub cadet and Troy-Bilt and others)

and AYP, (Sears, Husq, JD box store tractors, and others).

So basically, in most cases, doesn't matter what name is on the side, they all come from the same two companies.

Also read some NASTY things out there about Kohler engines.. Cutting corners, heads leaking

My '04 Husqvarna GTH2548 with 60 hours on it started blowing bluish smoke and ran thru a quart of oil in 10 mins. Called Warranty Repairs, as soon as the Tech came out he went right for the right side of the engine (right side looking from driver's seat)and pulled the plug out. Badly fouled. Head gasket blown. He replaced it and the 4 bolts. He told me this is a KNOWN issue with these particular engines. Told me Kohler used the wrong bolts and after heating and cooling the bolts on the right-hand side "stretch" and cause the gasket to fail. Also said Kohler had redesigned the head and eliminated 2 bolts, making the head almost impossible to torque down evenly onto the gasket.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
JD, but only from a JD dealer, not one of the home store knockoffs. I have heard some good about Cub, but never personally had one.

Not 100% sure, but I think I saw the "box Store" JD's at Carroll's last time I was there.

Think you need to get to the 300, 500 series and larger..

But when you get to the utility tractor, those are Yanmar (a GREAT tractor in itself, but it IS a Yanmar, not a JD)

OldHillcrestGuy

Cub Cadet, Ive had mine for 5 years, and with me and boy #2, your neighbor cutting lawns for 5 years, it has been a workhorse, with very few problems considering the number of lawns that have been cut. Id go to Hugh Gardiner in Faulkner, if you were to purchase a Cubby, youll get excellent service should it ever need any work on it. I dont think its any cheaper buying from TS or some place like Lowes from what Ive seen.