Post Office closures.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Apparently an announcement will come out the 14th of March concerning which post offices will be closed. Rumor has it that the entire Rt 249 peninsula will be consolidated ......

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Apparently an announcement will come out the 14th of March concerning which post offices will be closed. Rumor has it that the entire Rt 249 peninsula will be consolidated ......

Scotland, MD 20687 closed in January and was consolidated into Ridge.

Yours may also close but be consolidated into another

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Scotland, MD 20687 closed in January.

That Mar 14 announcement may only cover the 249 corridor and Callaway/Great Mills, for all I know. :shrug:

I can see them dropping from five all the way down to two; combining Callaway and Great Mills in to one and combining Piney Point, Tall Timbers and Valley Lee in to one.

PJumper

We could help save some of this Post Offices. Remember all the junk mail offers you received? By mailing it back to the sender instead of throwing it away like I do, the Post Office earns from them and hopefully, after a while they'll minimize those mailers! I know it's not much, but every little thing helps.

FED_UP

We could help save some of this Post Offices. Remember all the junk mail offers you received? By mailing it back to the sender instead of throwing it away like I do, the Post Office earns from them and hopefully, after a while they'll minimize those mailers! I know it's not much, but every little thing helps.

I get so much junk mail it's ridiculous and to spend money send them back would not be worth it, unless I can send them back for free.

red_explorer

Fyi

don`t open em, just write "Refuse To Accept", on the front, P.O. has 2 take em back. use their shredder! or like sum1 std, USPS will charge em 4 that prepaid empty envelope. just mark thru that code 1st.

Just so you all know....the junk mail that you hate getting....well, it pays for your regular mail. If the companies werent paying to have all that junk mail sent to you, the USPS would have gone out of business a few years ago. Its a losing money proposition for the federal government.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just so you all know....the junk mail that you hate getting....well, it pays for your regular mail. If the companies werent paying to have all that junk mail sent to you, the USPS would have gone out of business a few years ago. Its a losing money proposition for the federal government.

I had heard that before..but thanks for reminding me again; its certainly a valid point and a real Catch-22 isn't it?

Worst thing is..I have a PO box. If our mail is consolidated all the way up in Valley Lee...its 10 times the trip to get the mail.

But the cuts had to come..like a lot more still do. I can't rail against governement spending if I can't take my share of the cuts with a grin and bear it..

True. It's about all I get. They are the sole support. For that reason I think delivery could be cut back to 5 or even 3 days.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I get so much junk mail it's ridiculous and to spend money send them back would not be worth it, unless I can send them back for free.

I always return the junk mail to sender if it includes a postage-paid envelope. The sender pays for return postage only if it returns. If you throw away a postage-paid envelope, you lose an opportunity to pizz off the sender.

I had heard that before..but thanks for reminding me again; its certainly a valid point and a real Catch-22 isn't it?

Worst thing is..I have a PO box. If our mail is consolidated all the way up in Valley Lee...its 10 times the trip to get the mail.

But the cuts had to come..like a lot more still do. I can't rail against governement spending if I can't take my share of the cuts with a grin and bear it..

Yeah if you need to mail something from the Post office that could be a real pain too.

DEEKAYPEE8569

.....consolidated to where? L.P.?
Well, I don't have to worry about that; since I don't live down that way anymore. Go 'head, I guess. :shrug:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
.....consolidated to where? L.P.?
Well, I don't have to worry about that; since I don't live down that way anymore. Go 'head, I guess. :shrug:

The best guess is Valley Lee because that property is apparently owned by USPS(I only heard; cannot confirm) and not leased..and its big enough to allow expansion.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The best guess is Valley Lee because that property is apparently owned by USPS(I only heard; cannot confirm) and not leased..and its big enough to allow expansion.

Thought that property was owned by a Dean?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thought that property was owned by a Dean?

Could be privately owned..most all USPS locations are on leased property so when the consolidation rumor mentioned the Valley Lee location as being gummint owned, I was at least surprised if not skeptical.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My vote? Scrap the USPS and make every thing fee for service, just like FedEX, UPS, etc. Delivery is included in the price; if "stamps" cost $2 each then so be it. Yes, it would kill some direct mail companies and some other industries but it is one of those things that if they can't see the writing on the wall already, then...

And a lot of places in this country would no longer have mail service.

UPS / Fedex have gotten better down here. But it wasn't that long ago when packages didn't reach St. Mary's Co. for a couple of days or more because "It's at the end of the route and the driver wouldn't have had time to get back to Waldorf with his pick ups."

When FEDEX / UPS deliver, they also pick up. The pacakages they pick up have to be back to the terminal by a designated time. They offered you the alternative of driving to the station in Waldorf and picking your package up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And a lot of places in this country would no longer have mail service.

Exactly..a LOT of places. That is the rub; I happen to believe it is impossible for the USPS to ever operate without being heavily subsidized because of the simple fact that they service so many remote locations with little mail volume. And if they do not..nobody else will do so without a gummint subsidy either, that much is a certainty.

The only question in my mind is whether it makes more sense to subsidize an entity like UPS to provide the rural services..or continued to subsidize the USPS to do it. Pick the cheaper of the two options and live with it.