For all you civil service types

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Wow Vrai, I wish I got my meals, medical, house, and clothes for free. Just like those poor military types.

D

dems4me

I agree with jbslasher - just about all my money goes to expenses that are freely given to the military. However, I'd rather pay for those than pay with my life if called upon - if that makes any sense.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by jlabsher
Wow Vrai, I wish I got my meals, medical, house, and clothes for free, got sent to miserable stinking holes like Adak, Sigonella, Somolia and Iraq where people shoot at you and booby trap busses and stuff to try and kill you, deployed on a ship or to a tent city for months at a time only to come home for a few weeks and go again. Just like those poor military types.
:yeahthat: :duh:

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Wow Vrai, I wish I got my meals, medical, house, and clothes for free. Just like those poor military types.

I find that comment beyond repulsive, sounds like a "let them eat cake" attitude.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For your information, military personnel DON'T get free meals once they're out of basic training. There is a cost to eat at the mess hall, at least there was when my ex-husband was in the Army.

You also don't get a free house. You get barracks or base housing if you have a family. Otherwise you get a housing allowance that usually isn't even remotely close to what you'll have to pay for rent.

You also don't get free clothing. You get a yearly uniform allowance.

The medical you get is comparable to what you'd get as a bennie at a decent corporation.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by dems4me
I agree with jbslasher - just about all my money goes to expenses that are freely given to the military. However, I'd rather pay for those than pay with my life if called upon - if that makes any sense.
Makes perfect sense, you wouldn't serve to protect your own liberty but you will pay others to do it for you.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Pete
Makes perfect sense, you wouldn't serve to protect your own liberty but you will pay others to do it for you.

No, I don't want the decision of my life to be in anyone else's hands but my own. If people want to put me in the line of fire because they feel the sky is red and not blue, then no I don't want to risk my life for something petty. I am and always have been a Christian first and an American second.

Pete

Repete
No, I don't want the decision of my life to be in anyone else's hands but my own. If people want to put me in the line of fire because they feel the sky is red and not blue, then no I don't want to risk my life for something petty. I am and always have been a Christian first and an American second.
Makes perfect sense, you love to enjoy the fruits of others labor and sacrafice, thats what makes you a liberal. I understand. Actually you sound like a conservative there for a minute with all that "I want to let others make decisions for me, I want to do it myself" thing. :confused:

Last edited:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.

Like our commander in chief?

D

dems4me

and the one before that too.

Ughhh - not again:banghead: with you.

People choose to be in the military, its an income and you get training and help with college funding and tuition. Some people go that route, others CHOOOSE not to. If people want to join the military - so be it if they don't so be it. It doesn't mean that one person or the other is a better person. I don't mind dying for a cause, but a futile war is not one of them. If we are attacked, say like 9/11 then most definately I'd like to fight to protect america - in the meantime, that was almost 4 years ago and we still don't have sadamm. some people spend their lives saving people such as rescue workers and other people in the medical profession. It does not mean they are a bad person because they didn't sign up for the armed services.

Pete

Repete
Ughhh - not again:banghead: with you.

People choose to be in the military, its an income and you get training and help with college funding and tuition. Some people go that route, others CHOOOSE not to. If people want to join the military - so be it if they don't so be it. It doesn't mean that one person or the other is a better person. I don't mind dying for a cause, but a futile war is not one of them. If we are attacked, say like 9/11 then most definately I'd like to fight to protect america - in the meantime, that was almost 4 years ago and we still don't have sadamm. some people spend their lives saving people such as rescue workers and other people in the medical profession. It does not mean they are a bad person because they didn't sign up for the armed services.
True........BTW, if they had to instute a draft and you got drafted what road would you take to Canada? Route 1 through Maine or over through NY at Niagra?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Well in the "real" navy (ships you know) meals are free onboard the ship. If you are on shore duty (and Army, AF, & the rest) you get a monthly tax-free meals allowance in your paycheck, then you go to the chow hall to eat and pay for it. On the ship, you don't get that tax free allowance.

If you live in base housing (remember the spouse didn't come with the seabag sailor, getting married was your choice) the only bill you have is cable & telephone, keep the heat at 80 and the A/C at 60, run the lights all the time. If you live off base your BAH is tax-free, so if you're an E-1 (not many of them) that is $1020 @ month in pax or another $12.2K tax free a year.

For your meals you get $8.10 a day or $250 @ month, or about $3K a year tax free.

Medical, hmmm $250 a month average insurance. Another 3K a year.

That equals $18.2K a year tax free on those 3 benefits. At the 18% rate that equals about $21500 at the taxable rate. So the poor married E-1 who earns $13 K actually gets about $34500.