Law Didn't Change Anything

royhobie

hobieflyer
I was the first in line at Route 235 and Chancellors Run Road the other day, headed south at the red light. I did a little traffic study for the heck of it. Every 7 out of 10 cars, folks were on their cell phone. 4 out of 10 did not have seat belts on.

If you are ever first in line yourself, try it out. I hope your results are better than mine.

mdgirlie

I was the first in line at Route 235 and Chancellors Run Road the other day, headed south at the red light. I did a little traffic study for the heck of it. Every 7 out of 10 cars, folks were on their cell phone. 4 out of 10 did not have seat belts on.

If you are ever first in line yourself, try it out. I hope your results are better than mine.

I really like Immaculate Heart of Mary's Church sign. It goes something like this:
Honk it you love Jesus, Text if you want to meet him. LOL!

FED_UP

I do look at that quite a bit, its still amazing how many people are still texting and talking on the cell, young and older, heck I still even do it once in a while. I brought a darn speaker piece for the phone, that crap broke already.

M

makemepurr

I've noticed the same thing. I LOVE the bluetooth Sony stereo in my truck. I use it for my music, as well as the phone.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I didn't see a change either with the law in place. I see more and more kids with a cigarette or coffee in one hand and texting away with the other, some using thier knee to hold the wheel...oh that's right they're invincible.

I love the Ford Sync/nav system in both our cars, push a button and "say a command"!

glhs837

Power with Control
Irrational/illogical behavior isnt always driven by texting/talking, but thats the way to bet. I was following a guy down GMR the other day, about the pace traffic flows on there, about 45ish. Suddenly he drops down by about 7-8mph. Normally indicates the person has seen what they think is a police officer.

But I usually know about that before surrounding traffic does, thanks to me detector and heads up, motorcycle style visual scan, and I had nothing. Sure enough, as I passed him, I saw he was on the phone. I saw a lady in the Gate Trafficpalooza yesterday morning. Every inch counts, and this lady was holding a 20 foot gap in front of her. Too busy texting to move up, which left folks behind her stranded in the intersection. speaking of which, time to resurface the ol' STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE INTERSECTION UNLESS THERE IS ROOM ON THE FAR SIDE!!!!!!! thread again. :killingme

DEEKAYPEE8569

You said, 'on their cell phone.' For clarification; were they texting or talking?

Since I am not a "texter", I will sound dumb and ask; does this 'new law' prohibit ALL cell use while driving; or does it only specifically ban texting while driving?

Cowgirl

You said, 'on their cell phone.' For clarification; were they texting or talking?

Since I am not a "texter", I will sound dumb and ask; does this 'new law' prohibit ALL cell use while driving; or does it only specifically ban texting while driving?

It prevents any hand held device from being used. Only hands free use is allowed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

it's illegal to use it while holding it in your hand

belvak

Happy Camper
I didn't see a change either with the law in place. I see more and more kids with a cigarette or coffee in one hand and texting away with the other, some using thier knee to hold the wheel...oh that's right they're invincible.

I love the Ford Sync/nav system in both our cars, push a button and "say a command"!

:yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The absurdity is that using the cell phone is only enforceable as a secondary offense. Thus if you aren't doing anything else wrong you can't be ticketed for doing it. No wonder you aren't seeing a change of behavior.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
The absurdity is that using the cell phone is only enforceable as a secondary offense. Thus if you aren't doing anything else wrong you can't be ticketed for doing it. No wonder you aren't seeing a change of behavior.

Yeah, I don't understand why they made the law like that. Very dumb.

BlueOx77

Yes, it is a very dumb law. Why don't they legislate what we're allowed to look at while we're driving? Banning cell phone use is like trying to ban people from changing the radio station, or talking to a passenger in a vehicle. They are all a degree of distraction.
I saw a woman driving down 235, going about 35 mph, who was literally reading a book laying open on her passenger seat. I'm sure that is "illegal" but nothing stopped her from doing it. You can't legislate away stupidity, as much as that would be nice.

Yes, it is a very dumb law. Why don't they legislate what we're allowed to look at while we're driving? Banning cell phone use is like trying to ban people from changing the radio station, or talking to a passenger in a vehicle. They are all a degree of distraction.
I saw a woman driving down 235, going about 35 mph, who was literally reading a book laying open on her passenger seat. I'm sure that is "illegal" but nothing stopped her from doing it. You can't legislate away stupidity, as much as that would be nice.

Probably the operators manual.

jg21

It prevents any hand held device from being used. Only hands free use is allowed.

Which begs the question that no one seems to be able to satisfactorily answer: Why does the act of holding something in your hand make it more dangerous to drive? You're still talking to someone else, you're just not holding something in your hand. By this logic, holding a pen in your hand while talking to a passenger is as unsafe as talking on a cell phone. Don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that drivers seem to drop 10mph whenever they use a cell phone; I just think that the idea of not holding it in your hand makes some sort of difference is ludicrous.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

... and eating, and applying make up. Those women who put on make up should really be ashamed of themselves. You are putting yourself as well as everybody else's life at risk, all because you want to pretty your face before you get to your destination. If I don't have time in the morning, I wait until I get to work to put mine on. Sorry, but those women really disturb me doing that nonsense.:cds:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You'd think as much as blue tooth devices cost they would last? Nope they are fragile little suckers that you have to be oh so careful with - can't tell you how many of those I've been through. Oh and they don't do well if they fall out into the driveway and you didn't notice ... and it rains ... :whistle:

I finally bought a wired hands-free device that I leave on the dash to use when I'm desperate to talk while driving.

Then again there's always the speaker phone, but most of the phones have sorry sound quality via speaker phone.

Mostly I have been resorting to NOT talking while driving. Seems much easier to avoid accidents that way :whistle: .

I do look at that quite a bit, its still amazing how many people are still texting and talking on the cell, young and older, heck I still even do it once in a while. I brought a darn speaker piece for the phone, that crap broke already.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:yeahthat:

Which begs the question that no one seems to be able to satisfactorily answer: Why does the act of holding something in your hand make it more dangerous to drive? You're still talking to someone else, you're just not holding something in your hand. By this logic, holding a pen in your hand while talking to a passenger is as unsafe as talking on a cell phone. Don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that drivers seem to drop 10mph whenever they use a cell phone; I just think that the idea of not holding it in your hand makes some sort of difference is ludicrous.