Will the govt shut down?

2Loquacious

The House is trying to put together another CR (2 weeks this time) to stop the govt from shutting down but the plan will have cuts. Senate/Pres won't agree to any cuts cause it would 'hurt the economy'.

So, who wins? Will the govt shut down or not?

SamSpade

I think it will.

I'm wondering if I can apply for unemployment, because it's not at all clear we will be paid and no one seems to say if we can.

But I can't imagine a worse scenario if federal employees can apply for unemployment and they don't get paid, because suddenly Maryland, DC and Virginia get slammed with paying out tons of money.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
they may do the famous "work at risk" that contractors do all the time, where you work without pay so the project doesn't crash, and once they're funded again you get the back pay.

I don't know if you can get unemployment without job termination. This is just a stop work, not a termination.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

2Loquacious

The interesting thing is that a govt shutdown would not affect 85% of this base. Only the EOB (NAVAIR) folks would go (unless essential) while the NAWCAD (navy working capital folks) would all stay. I am sure the traffic would be lighter but that may be the only way you could tell.

I am thinking it will happen too - not sure how long it will last though. I am thinking if less than 2 weeks they would not get pay. Longer than 2 weeks - they pay them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The interesting thing is that a govt shutdown would not affect 85% of this base. Only the EOB (NAVAIR) folks would go (unless essential) while the NAWCAD (navy working capital folks) would all stay. I am sure the traffic would be lighter but that may be the only way you could tell.

I am thinking it will happen too - not sure how long it will last though. I am thinking if less than 2 weeks they would not get pay. Longer than 2 weeks - they pay them.

I'll hope you are right, but it doesn't sound that way.

"The people who are developing the wing to the Joint Strike Fighter will likely not be covered," Cooney said. "But the people buying ammunition that is going to be sent to Afghanistan in a couple of months will be protected."

Determining employees' and contractors' work status also could be based on whether the shutdown is labeled "hard" or "soft." During a soft shutdown, workers would be told to show up but do nothing productive to carry out the mission, Cooney said. Soft shutdowns are typical when an administration believes a budget compromise is near and it is unnecessary for workers to miss a full day.

The more likely scenario is a hard shutdown, during which federal and contract workers are furloughed. In this scenario, security guards would block employees from entering their buildings. Workers would be prohibited from volunteering their services and would be advised not to continue working under the false assumption that the financial terms could be worked out later.
Contractors would share the pain of a government shutdown (2/23/11) -- GovExec.com

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Also, Sam it looks like you could apply for unemployment

For furloughed employees who live paycheck to paycheck, there is little recourse, Palguta said. "There is nothing officially that the government can provide," he noted. Depending on how long the furlough lasted, some employees would be able to apply for unemployment compensation, and there are a few nonprofits groups that could provide assistance, such as the Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund, a charity that is part of the Combined Federal Campaign.

Pay is no guarantee for furloughed employees (2/22/11) -- GovExec.com

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
From what I've been reading, it may indeed be a termination for some contractors.
Contractors would share the pain of a government shutdown (2/23/11) -- GovExec.com

Many contractors are already 'sharing the pain' by having their projects halted and/or delayed thanks to the fact that the country, and hence also DoD, is being run under CR authority and not that of an approved annual budget.

I recently saw the long list of USN ship maintenance and repair cancellations that were announced..many involving contracts already executed and some even requiring stoppages of work already in progress..a LOT of layoffs associated with that.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This is interesting, in case anybody was planning on borrowing from their thrift savings, you had better do it now
Employees cannot take paid leave -- scheduled or unscheduled -- on days they are furloughed. They also cannot take out loans from their Thrift Savings Plan accounts during the furlough. Depending on their job title and description, they might be able to seek other employment during this time, though conflict-of-interest and legal restrictions still apply.

Wisdom of two-week furlough proposal is subject to debate (1/21/11) -- GovExec.com

SamSpade

I typically get paid on alternate Saturdays - and my coworkers aren't sure if direct deposits en route will appear. Normally, I'd get paid on the 5th. I'm guessing I still will.

My concern about unemployment is two-fold. One, it takes a while to get any, and two, if they pay us, I have to go through the hassle of paying them back.

After the 1995 shutdown, a law was passed that feds cannot be paid during a shutdown. But guess what?
Like most laws, it does not apply to Congress. They, and their staffers, still get paid.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The House is trying to put together another CR (2 weeks this time) to stop the govt from shutting down but the plan will have cuts. Senate/Pres won't agree to any cuts cause it would 'hurt the economy'.

So, who wins? Will the govt shut down or not?

Yeah, I'm :offtopic: but Congress didn't have a tough time passing pay raises for themselves did they. Just sayin'.....

2Loquacious

I am sure congress considers themselves 'essential personnel' (though that is debatable in my eyes) and would continue to work/get paid.

I didn't know they had passed a law about not paying again...will have to google that.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I typically get paid on alternate Saturdays - and my coworkers aren't sure if direct deposits en route will appear. Normally, I'd get paid on the 5th. I'm guessing I still will.

My concern about unemployment is two-fold. One, it takes a while to get any, and two, if they pay us, I have to go through the hassle of paying them back.

Isn't it a case of stopping work then not getting paid since you aren't at work? Wouldn't the hours you have already worked be paid under the old CR, you just wouldn't be allowed to earn the next paycheck?

Bavarian

During last shutdown, we NATC people kept on working. There was a delay in pay, but we got paid eventually. If not, the bad guys could use this time to start a war.

Not sure of the pencil pushers at NAVAIR and NADC? They are expendible.

SamSpade

Isn't it a case of stopping work then not getting paid since you aren't at work? Wouldn't the hours you have already worked be paid under the old CR, you just wouldn't be allowed to earn the next paycheck?

I found an OPM link that said I'd get my money next Saturday.

Still can't find definitive answer regarding Maryland unemployment.