The QBHI Sales Contract For Dummies

Annoying_Boy

Last edited:

SolidStateS15

So I just read through your whole blog and am now worried as I am in the process of buying a home in Pembrooke. Does anyone know if there are radon problems there too? They haven't mentioned anything about that. I'm also going to have to watch everything these illegal contractors do so I don't get screwed like you did. Hopefully I can catch this stuff early so they can fix it on the spot. I need to make sure they seal up EVERYTHING! We also got a fireplace too and now I'm already regretting it :cds:

Annoying_Boy

So I just read through your whole blog and am now worried as I am in the process of buying a home in Pembrooke. Does anyone know if there are radon problems there too? They haven't mentioned anything about that. I'm also going to have to watch everything these illegal contractors do so I don't get screwed like you did. Hopefully I can catch this stuff early so they can fix it on the spot. I need to make sure they seal up EVERYTHING! We also got a fireplace too and now I'm already regretting it :cds:

I don't know what step you're at in the construction process, but if the drywall isn't up yet, then you need to demand that QBHI install the $350 optional, passive radon evacuation pipe into your home.

No matter what the radon levels are in Pembrooke, the pipe is a benefit to your family's health. The price of the radon pipe in the grand scheme of what houses cost to build is a joke. It's dirt cheap.

The next thing I recommend that you and every other single person who is reading this stuff and saying to yourself "I can't believe this is allowed to happen, or going on etc." is for you to both call and email the Board of Saint Mary's County Commissioners and voice your displeasure about our building code. In particular the fact that we have no radon regulation in the County and City of Leonardtown building code.

Tell these Commissioners that you want "Appendix F" of the International building code adopted for radon.

Again, don't just email them and assume they've gotten it and actually read it: call them and tell them personally. Or better yet, do all that and show up at the next public forum and complain about radon.

Good luck to you.

SolidStateS15

thanks for the link. they just poured the foundation walls so not very far in the process at all. i'm just going to be there every step of the way looking over their shoulders to make sure it's all done right. i know a good bit about construction and am a home hobbiest so it won't be hard to find these things especially since you have outlined them very well. i knew it that they build these houses way too fast and don't take their time to do it right. they are just cutting corners so they can put up more houses faster for more profit but screw the end user in the arse. what a scam, and the guy is making multi-millions off of these homes just in Pembrook, can't imagine what the total combined is between both St. Mary's and Calvert with all the subdivisions they own. You would think they would be able to install a freaking radon pipe for everyone as a gimme.

Annoying_Boy

thanks for the link. they just poured the foundation walls so not very far in the process at all. i'm just going to be there every step of the way looking over their shoulders to make sure it's all done right. i know a good bit about construction and am a home hobbiest so it won't be hard to find these things especially since you have outlined them very well. i knew it that they build these houses way too fast and don't take their time to do it right. they are just cutting corners so they can put up more houses faster for more profit but screw the end user in the arse. what a scam, and the guy is making multi-millions off of these homes just in Pembrook, can't imagine what the total combined is between both St. Mary's and Calvert with all the subdivisions they own. You would think they would be able to install a freaking radon pipe for everyone as a gimme.

I was told by someone that "one crew" was assigned to frame six houses in one week.

:whistle:

SolidStateS15

exactly, they hire a bunch of illegals with no training to start swinging hammers on houses and we wonder why there are problems.

i just wrote to them asking why they don't offer standard radon pump systems.

Annoying_Boy

I'm still kicking myself for not filming it, but some of the subcontractors were installing insulation in the garage of a home across the street from me at 9 p.m using only the headlights of the work truck sitting in the driveway to do it.

:killingme

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
How big is the crew?

In my neighborhood, I've seen at least 10 people working on a house. They're starting about 6:30 am, and when I get home after 5, many times they are still working.

The average is about 2 weeks to frame in my neighborhood.

Annoying_Boy

In my neighborhood, I've seen at least 10 people working on a house. They're starting about 6:30 am, and when I get home after 5, many times they are still working.

The average is about 2 weeks to frame in my neighborhood.

They must be really knocking down the overtime pay.

:whistle:

Annoying_Boy

I had another priceless moment when the sales agent was going to take us to see a home under construction here in Leonard's Grant, but when we pulled up to it, a huge number of Hispanic workers were laying all over the front porch taking a break.

Needless to say we didn't get to see that house...

:killingme

Annoying_Boy

Study Appendix F of the code for building a home that won't have radon issues.

And ask QBHI if your basement slab is going to meet these specifications?

I uploaded it here.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...mEtZDM2Zi00MGE3LWE5NWEtZTNiYjYyYmNhMDUz&hl=en

This is what Saint Mary's County will have to adopt if they want to start saving lives.

:coffee: