Solar Installers

ewashkow

Does anyone know of a local company that will actually come out and look at your property to determine if you would be a good canidate for solar? The reason I ask is the only companies I have been able to find will just pull up a picture from google earth that is at least 2 years old and decline me even though much has changed since then.

Thanks!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Why not take some photos and e-mail or upload them somewhere? :shrug:

Does anyone know of a local company that will actually come out and look at your property to determine if you would be a good canidate for solar? The reason I ask is the only companies I have been able to find will just pull up a picture from google earth that is at least 2 years old and decline me even though much has changed since then.

Thanks!

Solar Tech Inc

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We had some people come to our office for that specific reason. It may be the same people above. I'll look for the info tomorrow. If it's a different company, I'll let you know.

ylexot

Super Genius
I'd still like to see some real world numbers from an actual installation in the area. For example:
System size
System cost
Credits received that offset the cost
Actual total energy generated over a year

tinroofsundae

My solar electric system is being installed next week. It is 20kW, by Solar Solution, based in Washington DC. By my calculations I will break even in less than 6 years. Tax free. And have enough electricity to power an electric car. There are other installers, some more established and reputable than others. Stay away from "national" companies with little experience in our region. Email me and I'll send you a six page summary of everything you need to know.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I found most of the "sell back to the utility what you don't need" hype to be just that, hype.

Not only is it hype, but it's not allowed in MD..

I can't imagine a solar system big enough to take you totally off of the grid without major life changes, or an acre of "tracking" solar panels in your yard.

Check out Astrum Solar - our neighbors here in Calvert County are featured on their website, and there are a lot of details about cost, etcetera.

I have had a few meetings with them, but we can't afford the upfront cost right now.

From my understanding of the rules and regulations, the previous poster's comment about selling back excess capacity being illegal in MD doesn't ring true - but I am a solar novice still.

I would speak directly with a referral client before taking anything a sales rep says at face value as well. Good luck!

ylexot

Super Genius
According to the calculator on their website, a 10kW system would cost $50k minus $20k in government tax credits and grants and would take 10+ years to pay for itself. No thanks.

BTW, why doesn't anyone scream that those subsidies are tax breaks for the rich? It's not like the poor/middle class can afford to pay $30k now to start saving money ten years from now.

thatguy

According to the calculator on their website, a 10kW system would cost $50k minus $20k in government tax credits and grants and would take 10+ years to pay for itself. No thanks.

BTW, why doesn't anyone scream that those subsidies are tax breaks for the rich? It's not like the poor/middle class can afford to pay $30k now to start saving money ten years from now.

ever hear of a loan?

IF that 10Kw unit takes you totally off the grid, then your electric bill has been eliminated. You put that towards the loan payment..... seems doable for a middle class family IF the system actually gets you off the grid.

thatguy

Well.. just using estimates.. A house uses between 20 - 40 kWh a day, and since we average <= 6 hours of sun a day you'd need between an 80 - 160 kWh system.

Again, pure estimates.. 100 Sq foot of Solar Panel = 1 kW and at the low end you may need an 80 kW system, you'd be looking at 8000 sq feet of solar panel and $$$$.

Of course the rest is based on percentages.. A 10 kW system will reduce your electric usage by about 2.5 kW per day, or <=10%. In most cases 10% of your electric bill would be in the $20 - $30 range. What would the payments be?

and thats why i put the IF in italics........ its a pretty big if

ylexot

Super Genius
ever hear of a loan?

IF that 10Kw unit takes you totally off the grid, then your electric bill has been eliminated. You put that towards the loan payment..... seems doable for a middle class family IF the system actually gets you off the grid.

That 10kW unit would be close, but not enough to get off the grid...if it generated 10kW 24/7 (not even close). Plus, you cannot actually get off the grid unless you also have storage batteries ($$$). With that system, you'd have to sell the power to SMECO (it is legal, itsbob) during the day when you're at work and the solar system is actually doing something. Then you have to buy it back from them when you're home...at a higher rate, of course. Also, the monthly loan payment would be ~1.5x my electric bill. So again, it is not for the poor/middle class.

Last edited:

thatguy

That 10kW unit would be close, but not enough to get off the grid...if it generated 10kW 24/7 (not even close). Plus, you cannot actually get off the grid unless you also have storage batteries ($$$). With that system, you'd have to sell the power to SMECO (it is legal, itsbob) during the day when you're at work and the solar system is actually doing something. Then you have to buy it back from them when you're home...at a higher rate, of course. Also, the monthly loan payment would be ~1.5x my electric bill. So again, it is not for the poor/middle class.

I guess that depends on the length of the loan, but just a quick estimate from your numbers puts the payment close to my average electric bill. Of course this is all moot if the system doens't actually eliminate your electric bill (or close to it). Add to that the upkeep and any additonaly unforseen costs and you are probably losing money.

Beleive me, if i thought it would pay i would have already gone this route, i just dont see it happening.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I remember talking to a wind turbine company a few years back (prior to Erhlich I believe) and I SWEAR I remember them telling me I wouldn't be allowed to sell back un-used energy.

At the time MD was one of very few states that didn't allow it.

covekat

My husbands company installs solar, even without going off the grid you can eliminate your electric bill. Usually your payoff is the amount of your electric bill over the course of 5-6 years. You can not sell excess energy, but can sell your energy credits.

One of our local jobs is Fresh Meadows (Bay Equine) in Huntingtown.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I love, love, love solar. I have solar heat for my pool and solar lighting. I'm going to go all out solar soon. I do live in the sunshine state, so it's really easy for me. I am amazed at the things the sun can do. Not sure how that would work in Maryland remembering sometimes there are days with no sun at all.

covekat

I love, love, love solar. I have solar heat for my pool and solar lighting. I'm going to go all out solar soon. I do live in the sunshine state, so it's really easy for me. I am amazed at the things the sun can do. Not sure how that would work in Maryland remembering sometimes there are days with no sun at all.

We did installs in Huntingtown during the winter, and our customers eliminated their electric bill the first month (even when it snowed). Two years later and still a zero electric bill! If the right system is designed they work!