Look at what the school gave my son

SoccerMom2

Look at what Park Hall Elementary School gave my 5 year old son for being good in school. Don't you think this is sending the wrong message? If my son were to bring this toy to school he would of been expelled. I called the school to inform them what happen. The lady in the office transferred me to the vice principle. She apologized and reassured me that she wasn't the one who gave my son the toy and that she and another lady hand pick the toys. The VP said that they have parent volunteers at the school and they must of done it. I was told to send the toy back to school with my son and he can exchange it for another toy next friday. In the mean time my son thinks he did something wrong is crying and upset. I just got done explaining how guns are not allowed in school and are bad she wants me to send that toy with him to school. Great job! Lets confuse him even more. Needless to day i will being going to the school on Monday and talking to the school in person.

Attachments

• 001.1.jpg
    001.1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,063

SoccerMom2

Really? You're making a fuss over a robot with a toy gun? :cds:

It sends the wrong message. As i stated before if he were to bring that toy to school he would of been expelled, so why give that type of toy out for good behavior. It doesn't make sense.

Ohiogirl

He's crying and upset because of your reaction. You probably could have handled the situation better.

Are you the same mom who scolded her child at the Cove playground for playing cops and robbers with his friend a few weekends ago?

SoccerMom2

He's crying and upset because of your reaction. You probably could have handled the situation better.

Are you the same mom who scolded her child at the Cove playground for playing cops and robbers with his friend a few weekends ago?

No. I never been there. I was very calm when i talked to my son and sent him up stairs to play before i called the school.

No. I never been there. I was very calm when i talked to my son and sent him up stairs to play before i called the school.

It may send a conflicting message, but I wouldn't make a fuss about it. Just let them know what they are doing and let the boy keep the toy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
. I just got done explaining how guns are not allowed in school and are bad ...

Guns are inanimate.. They don't have feelings, personalities, and they can't even talk. It's impossible for them to be bad, and as impossible as THAT is, a plastic gun in the hands of a plastic robot even more so..

People, on the other hand...

Well, they can be pretty damn looney..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It sends the wrong message. As i stated before if he were to bring that toy to school he would of been expelled, so why give that type of toy out for good behavior. It doesn't make sense.

so what happens when he takes it back to school?

Just because the school has rules made by idiots doesn't mean you have to be an idiot also

royhobie

hobieflyer
Look at what Park Hall Elementary School gave my 5 year old son for being good in school. Don't you think this is sending the wrong message? If my son were to bring this toy to school he would of been expelled. I called the school to inform them what happen. The lady in the office transferred me to the vice principle. She apologized and reassured me that she wasn't the one who gave my son the toy and that she and another lady hand pick the toys. The VP said that they have parent volunteers at the school and they must of done it. I was told to send the toy back to school with my son and he can exchange it for another toy next friday. In the mean time my son thinks he did something wrong is crying and upset. I just got done explaining how guns are not allowed in school and are bad she wants me to send that toy with him to school. Great job! Lets confuse him even more. Needless to day i will being going to the school on Monday and talking to the school in person.

Park Hall is a St. Mary's County School. This County has a Safety and Security Dept. for schools.The Supervisor of this Dept. is Mike Wyatt. It also has a Safety and Security Committee lead by Mike. There are Principals, teachers, Community leaders and law enforcement on the Committee. If you gave him a call, he would tell you no school in this system would suspend your child over this toy. I am familar with the policy for the Board of Education. The child would not be suspended or expelled over this toy.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Meaning no offense but your reaction to this is making a major mountain out of minor molehill.

It is common in elementary schools for teachers to do something called a "treasure chest" reward system, especially in the lowest grades. The babies have a great week (stay on green instead of red) -- do the homework, follow the rules, be kind to others, etc., etc., they get to pick a "reward" from the treasure chest. Treasure chest rewards are a combination of small things - pencils, fancy erasers, stickers, tattoos, Happy Meal toys, party favor toys, or anything that the teachers can pick up or get donated at little to no cost (tax-payer dollars don't fund these little luxuries). The most important piece of this is having the child choose the item.

That little toy is probably very popular with the little boys! Your child is probably upset because Mommy is freaking out over a toy that he liked. I find it hard to believe that your school would "expel" a 5 year-old child for having that toy.

A more reasonable reaction would be to just repeat your feelings and explanations about guns being able to hurt people, remind him not to point it at anyone and then let it go. If he's typical boy, he'll play with it for a day or two and then go on to something else, giving you an opportunity to make it "disappear". For the sake of your child, do you REALLY want to be known as "that Mom who freaked out over the toy"?

Relax, let it go and save the big guns for something more important down the line.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My in-laws' dog spent an afternoon popping bubbles and had diarrhea for the rest of the day. :coffee:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
:cds:

Poor kid is probably very confused and upset now, over something that should have been a very positive reward for being a good kid. And probably feels guilty for getting everyone in trouble.

Not to mention, it's parents that freak out over nothing that make people afraid or unwilling to work with children...who the hell wants to give a good kid an award he loves and is proud of, only to be read the riot act by a VP who got a call from an over reactive parent? Not me. Better reaction would have been to ignore it and if you were really worried about him getting in trouble, make sure he never took it to school. You kinda just contributed to making the school even more paranoid about stupid things than they already were.

R

RebeccaDouglas

Just saying

I am willing to bet that a 5 year old would not be expelled from bringing a toy robot holding a gun to school and perhaps we should look at the intention which was to reward your son. This is one of those instances where you pat your son on the head and say "Great job buddy" and shoot a quick email to the school that politely says "I would prefer my child not receive toys with guns in the future - thanks for your attention" and leave it at that.

You may want to leave out your tag line about sex and snow though! Just saying.