Chancellors Run Road, I got LASED!!!!!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Yesterday afternoon, nice officer hit me with the laser to see how fast I was moving. Of course, since I was less than 10mph over, he didnt come after me. But to those folks who think that 15 or 20 mph, or even 30mph over in a 40 is just peachy, stand by. Laser is instantaneous, no detector can save you.

I have seen folks doing +70 around here recently, which is just a bit insane in a 40. I'm certainly not the slowest person on the roadway, but +30, thats just nuts.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Yesterday afternoon, nice officer hit me with the laser to see how fast I was moving. Of course, since I was less than 10mph over, he didnt come after me. But to those folks who think that 15 or 20 mph, or even 30mph over in a 40 is just peachy, stand by. Laser is instantaneous, no detector can save you.

I have seen folks doing +70 around here recently, which is just a bit insane in a 40. I'm certainly not the slowest person on the roadway, but +30, thats just nuts.

You are correct about the laser. However, a handheld radar called the Falcon which is an older model does the same. You pull the trigger on it just like a gun. It sends a signal out, captures the speed and then you can lock it in on your radar gun which flashes on the radar until you clear it. Simple and basic just like the laser. For the folks that love to speed, by the time your detector picks up the signal, your speed is already captured by the radar and then you are pulled over and issued a ticket. Simple as that. Slow down, and you won't have to worry about.

Don't forget to buckle up, stay off the cell and drive safe.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
You are correct about the laser. However, a handheld radar called the Falcon which is an older model does the same. You pull the trigger on it just like a gun. It sends a signal out, captures the speed and then you can lock it in on your radar gun which flashes on the radar until you clear it. Simple and basic just like the laser. For the folks that love to speed, by the time your detector picks up the signal, your speed is already captured by the radar and then you are pulled over and issued a ticket. Simple as that. Slow down, and you won't have to worry about.

Don't forget to buckle up, stay off the cell and drive safe.

You're somewhat right. RADAR beam has a wide spread, and when it "hits" a car SOME of it returns to the source but most of it continues on into space.

If the cop hits the trigger on a RADAR for a car 1/4 mile in front of you, or ten cars in front of you in traffic your detector will alert to it.

Now if you are the only car on the road, and you're the first to get shot with the RADAR then there is nothing you can do

A LASER is very precise, and only a pencil lead thin beam travels from the "gun" to the target, and returns >90% of it's energy back to it's source. The rest fractures and the energy dissipates into space in all directions. This makes the LASER almost undetectable even if the cop lases the car directly in front of you. I got hit in traffic on the Outer Loop a few years back, and instead of my detector screaming "LASER!! LASER!!" It should have just said, "Pull Over, you've been Lased!!"

Was on that road on my bike yesterday. Made me remember to sit up straight after the first bump. Ooph, ow! I wasn't going fast either. 45mph maybe.

rkrider

Seems the average speed on Chancellors Run Rd. is at least 55. Easy tickets for the police if interested.......

glhs837

Power with Control
Roy, instant on does indeed catch you almost instantaneously. But if its deployed here, they certainly dont use it often. Less often that the laser, which doesnt get pulled out often. I see it maybe once every year or so. %99 of the radar down here is Ka band, and the officers run it on standby, in which case I get an alert maybe one half mile away, or full on, in which case the detection distance is much greater. Most common, though, is standby while they cruise, and turn on full power when interested in a vehicle.

Static enforcement, where they just sit on the side of the road blasting every car, seems to have gone by the wayside since Cameron took office, and I am glad to see that. But it still is a valid tactic, and should be used in cases like CR, where folks are just over the top.

I am safe, in any case. I rarely exceed 8-9mph over, am always buckled, and always use the Bluetooth in my car. And before I get the old "talking handsfree is just as distracting, spare me. I know what tasks to shed when, and dont care about offending my conversational partner.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Not on the C.R. Raceway!
Talked to a an old State trooper in Solomons who was lazing cars going over the Solomons bridge. He was doing a land sale business.
Told me hew as catching them just as they crested the top of the bridge, on a line of sight from in front of the Roy Rogers.

Not on the C.R. Raceway!
Talked to a an old State trooper in Solomons who was lazing cars going over the Solomons bridge. He was doing a land sale business.
Told me hew as catching them just as they crested the top of the bridge, on a line of sight from in front of the Roy Rogers.

Seems like an odd place to speed. I usually find that people kind of slow down up there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ya gotta be careful getting stories from officers like that though, they have no qualms at all with a little white lie in the name of getting you to follow traffic laws. The distance straight line from Roys to the peak of the bridge is 3/4 of a mile, almost 4,000 feet, and thats the extreme range of almost any LIDAR unit out there. Not to mention, beam spread at that point is almost certain to be wider than the bridge.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Ya gotta be careful getting stories from officers like that though, they have no qualms at all with a little white lie in the name of getting you to follow traffic laws. The distance straight line from Roys to the peak of the bridge is 3/4 of a mile, almost 4,000 feet, and thats the extreme range of almost any LIDAR unit out there. Not to mention, beam spread at that point is almost certain to be wider than the bridge.

Have no idea what the final disposition was but I watched him pulling them over.
And over.:killingme

The slow down generally happens around rush hour, mid afternoon, people speed up to get that vomit comet feeling over the top...

DEEKAYPEE8569

You're somewhat right. RADAR beam has a wide spread, and when it "hits" a car SOME of it returns to the source but most of it continues on into space.

A LASER is very precise, and only a pencil lead thin beam travels from the "gun" to the target, and returns >90% of it's energy back to it's source. The rest fractures and the energy dissipates into space in all directions. This makes the LASER almost undetectable even if the cop lases the car directly in front of you. I got hit in traffic on the Outer Loop a few years back, and instead of my detector screaming "LASER!! LASER!!" It should have just said, "Pull Over, you've been Lased!!"

A while back I heard what I believe to be a myth; that if you place reflective tape; the multi-faceted (sp?) type on your bumper or around your front license plate; or if you get one of those reflective frames; that it defeats the laser. Of course, if the laser is pointed somewhere other than those two places, you're gonna get snagged.

Clem_Shady

This is starting to sound like the D.C Breathalyzer machine...

:popcorn:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not sure of the LIDAR max range (I recall reading that it is usually less than 2000), but they typically have a beamwidth of 3 to 4 milliradians (.17 to .23 degrees). At 4000 feet that would equate to a beam size of a right about 2.5 feet at a range of 4000, I'm sure the bridge is quite a bit wider.

Beta84

They're out to get us

I thought +7 is usually when cops will consider pulling people over. +10 is more likely and at +15 it's considered reckless driving and your ticket got that much uglier. No?

glhs837

Power with Control
Have no idea what the final disposition was but I watched him pulling them over.
And over.:killingme

The slow down generally happens around rush hour, mid afternoon, people speed up to get that vomit comet feeling over the top...

A while back I heard what I believe to be a myth; that if you place reflective tape; the multi-faceted (sp?) type on your bumper or around your front license plate; or if you get one of those reflective frames; that it defeats the laser. Of course, if the laser is pointed somewhere other than those two places, you're gonna get snagged.

Someone has said laser speed guns is one of the reasons Maryland requires a license plate on the front of your vehicle. As one of the very few nearly vertical surfaces on an automobile, it provides the reflective surface to allow longer-distance LASING. O/W the non-vertical surfaces disperse (and weaken) the return signal and shorten the effective distance of the velocity circuitry.

smilin, from Roys? Can you even distinguish a make and model on top of the bridge from there without binoculars? Was he calling over to guys on the highway? Or was he leaving the parking lot and catching up to them out on 4?

Dee, the only real way to beat the laser is with a product like Laserveil, which basically blasts the parts of the EM spectrum in which the laser operates with light. Not coherent laser light, but enough raw light that is confuses the LIDAR unit. Deflecting it with tape, not gonna work. Police use headlight buckets of the plates. Some vehicles are harder to read, like the Old Alero, but its uncommon that they cant get a reading.

Lenny, you are correct about the front plates part in LIDAR effectiveness. I have no idea how much of a part that plays in MDs front plate requirement.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Someone has said laser speed guns is one of the reasons Maryland requires a license plate on the front of your vehicle. As one of the very few nearly vertical surfaces on an automobile, it provides the reflective surface to allow longer-distance LASING. O/W the non-vertical surfaces disperse (and weaken) the return signal and shorten the effective distance of the velocity circuitry.

Laser has nothing to do with the front plate requirement. MD has required front and back plates, at least, since the 60s. Probably longer.