Oh Hell No, Jesse

Mongo53

:killingme:killingme:killingme Oh, but we're going to keep seeing posts about how Gov Scott Walker is such a right wing nutjob.:killingme:killingme

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I guess he ain't familiar with the line about "the pursuit...". Maybe that's his problem: people have to pursue what they want instead of having it handed to them. :rolleyes:

ylexot

Super Genius
I don't think he knows what a "right" is. You already have a right to all of those things (that would be by virtue of the 10th amendment). That doesn't mean that the government must provide all of those things.

Rommey

I wonder if Jesse can name a right that we currently have that doesn't require someone else to give, provide, purchase, or do anything for someone else to enjoy those rights.

ImnoMensa

Young Jesse is just saying what his constituents want to hear.

That is the reason Representatives are given time to speak on the House floor when no one else is there to hear. It goes on the Congressional Record, and they get to play this in the hometown as though the House were full of members.

Even Jesse would not be stupid enough to say this crap before the full House, thay would laugh him out of the room, but when he sends this home to be played for the Brothers they will all go "OOOOOOOO. Get me one Jess." "I wants one of them Ipods, I can't read so I dont need a puter."

Sure that wasn't Jefferson?

Maybe he was referring to FDR speciously quoting Jefferson. :lol: I mean, in many regards FDR stood for much the opposite of what Jefferson stood for, so it stands to reason that he would use fake quotes from Jefferson to give credibility to his ideas.

But, the 'he' that Mr. Jackson was referring to was definitely FDR (from this speech). I watched the unedited video.

I wasn't aware that laptops were around in FDR's time...

Scott

They were called abaci.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Maybe he was referring to FDR speciously quoting Jefferson. :lol: I mean, in many regards FDR stood for much the opposite of what Jefferson stood for, so it stands to reason that he would use fake quotes from Jefferson to give credibility to his ideas.

But, the 'he' that Mr. Jackson was referring to was definitely FDR (from this speech). I watched the unedited video.

They were called abaci.

I'm sorry. I meant George, not Thomas.

:lol:

SamSpade

Crack dealers would all of a sudden consider laptops and ipods legal currency.

Exactly. Somewhere recently I was discussing the give a man a fish/teach a man remark with respect to this catalog I got, where you can ensure a family gets a cow or a goat or ten chickens or whatever in some African nation. I can't remember who it was, but I think it was our adoption agency person who said that in (the country we're going to) if you give a man a fishing pole, he will sell it for a fish.

You can't fix the problem with money, but you CAN fix the problem with the incentive to get money. Give kids iPods and laptops, and they will pawn them for stuff they want.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...but I think it was our adoption agency person who said that in (the country we're going to) if you give a man a fishing pole, he will sell it for a fish.

I said that and it is a direct quote from a personal friend who lives in Africa with native folks, not in some hotel, and has lived in several different areas over there.

:buddies:

SamSpade

I said that and it is a direct quote from a personal friend who lives in Africa with native folks, not in some hotel, and has lived in several different areas over there.

:buddies:

Ah. Now I remember.

I remember years ago there was this big push in some African nation to fight one of their biggest problems - deforestation. Since so many people live with wood as their source of heat, that and other reasons has resulted in the desertification of miles of Africa.

One such program failed because when the workers planted the trees, they put every one in the ground upside down - not because they didn't know any better, but because they were angry at the landholder who was going to profit from the program.

I've heard countless stories of such things, but they continue to provide basically the same answer - you cannot solve some problems simply by buying stuff and you can't fix things by throwing money at it. You either do it yourself or provide a strong incentive for someone to do it for themselves.