Builders

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Hoping there might be some builders/H.I. people on here who can give me a ballpark figure on what they charge per square foot for an addition/new construction. Recommendations on who to use will be appreciated...... NO, I don't want A_B's builders contact info. :buddies:

Clem_Shady

Hoping there might be some builders/H.I. people on here who can give me a ballpark figure on what they charge per square foot for an addition/new construction. Recommendations on who to use will be appreciated...... NO, I don't want A_B's builders contact info. :buddies:

Have you taken a look at "Angie's List?"

:coffee:

chrissyhh

We used Harvey Morgan for an addition on our house 4 years ago. I would highly recommend him 301-373-2000.

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!

I HIGHLY recommend Doug E. Middleton, Middleton Builders! He's the best, educates you along the way....has contractor's that have worked with/for him for 30 years. He's currently building my new home.

SoMDGirl42

I think they missed the point where you didn't want builders contact info. I wish I could help you with the info you requested, but I don't know what they charged per sq ft, only what the total addition cost.

Clem_Shady

Regardless of who you choose here's some common sense checks to make before hiring any kind of contractor or home improvement person, because anyone can come in here and recommend someone when in fact that someone may be them.

So here's some things to check:

1. Check the Maryland Judiciary Case Search for their company's record and their own civil and criminal records. You may also ask the contractor the names of who will be performing the work and check them too.

Maryland Judiciary Case Search

2. Check to see if they have a business license and check if it is in good standing:

Taxpayer Services

3. Check to see if they are properly licensed:

Licensing Queries - Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

4. Check their BBB (Better Business Record):

BBB of Washington DC & Eastern PA: Home

5. Ask for references from other customers and photos of their previous work.

Just a few tips.

Anyone else have more tips to add?

:popcorn:

Clem_Shady

This is how bad the home improvement business is:

"Many roofing contractors provide their own warranty against errors in workmanship, sometimes for as long as ten years or more. Obviously, that coverage is only good for as long as the contractor remains in business. Since roofing is a “high-turnover” business, the majority of roofing contractors are out of business within five years — far less than the life of your new roof — making their warranty worthless and leaving you with nowhere to turn in the event that you have a workmanship problem."

That quote is from the manufacturer of Timberline Shingles.

Residential Roofing - Warranty Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

:jameo:

BernieP

Resident PIA
For as many builders as are in the phone book you'll get a reccommendation.

IMO, call a few to hear what they have to say, if you want, post a question on the forum to get feedback on a particular builder.

Pick a couple, meet with them, get their estimate, do your homework and then decide.

Most builders will have a referal list. Previous customers who have agreed to be contacted by perspective customers.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
We took bids on an addition last year (roughly 450 square feet) and had a square foot range of $70 to $170. That was from 12 different contractors.
We were shaking our heads at the numbers wondering how some could be so cheap and some so expensive. The ultra low ones were easy to figure out. Most of them had records, judgments against them or judgments pending. The problem with the hire bids was we got less for the money.

Lowest bid-$35,000. Turn key. They would complete everything (I knew this wasn't possible). Guy was a scammer.

Highest bid-$80,000. That would NOT include floors, paint, light fixtures, Smeco charges (for moving the line), porta potty or dumpster. This guy is our neighbor.

One bid had $4000 for permits. A little research and we found the permits wouldn't total much more than $500.

Of the 3 honest ones (no criminal records anyway) they all came in right at about $100-$110 a square foot. One said no floors. I think two said no paint and they all said no Smeco charges were included in the price.

That reminds me. Some of them had 2 or even 3 thousand dollars in their bids for "Smeco charges". I had Smeco come out and take a look at what they would have to do and what it would cost. Less than $300 total and that was a high range. It could be as little as $200.

Do your homework. Time is money but to give somebody a 5,6 or 700% mark up is just criminal.

Last edited:

TGB

Definately get recommendations from other people that have used them. I always get 6-8 people for quotes before I decide who I want to use. I used sublime consturction for my basement Michael Adriani is very knowledgable, clean, great workmenship 240-298-9988

Clem_Shady

Regardless of who you choose here's some common sense checks to make before hiring any kind of contractor or home improvement person, because anyone can come in here and recommend someone when in fact that someone may be them.

So here's some things to check:

1. Check the Maryland Judiciary Case Search for their company's record and their own civil and criminal records. You may also ask the contractor the names of who will be performing the work and check them too.

Maryland Judiciary Case Search

2. Check to see if they have a business license and check if it is in good standing:

Taxpayer Services

3. Check to see if they are properly licensed:

Licensing Queries - Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

4. Check their BBB (Better Business Record):

BBB of Washington DC & Eastern PA: Home

5. Ask for references from other customers and photos of their previous work.

Just a few tips.

Anyone else have more tips to add?

I forgot the most obvious one: search this forum and the rest of the Internet for their name and company name.

If they're making you really nervous, then look up their home address in the tax records and do a search on that also to see if they've been operating previous businesses.