Why do liberals fear Christianity and not Islam?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Please, I'd like to hear only from those liberals, progressives, humanists et a who fear Christianity yet tend to promote the virtues of Islam and, if not flat out support it, at least give it credit, leeway and benefit of the doubt you don't give Christians and Christianity?

:popcorn:

E

EmptyTimCup

yet tend to promote the virtues of Islam

especially Islam hates FAGS (remember Imadinnerjacket "we have no homo's in Iran), Abortion, freedom of thought ..... Allahs way or you can be kept as a slave, pay a tax (only if you have money), or killed by any Muslim with no repercussions

.... actually the latter can be done at anytime :whistle:

SamSpade

Please, I'd like to hear only from those liberals, progressives, humanists et a who fear Christianity yet tend to promote the virtues of Islam and, if not flat out support it, at least give it credit, leeway and benefit of the doubt you don't give Christians and Christianity?

Reminds me of that quote from "Bloodsport"

"Very good. But brick not hit back! "

You can make fun of Christians all day long. The worst you will get is, they will complain about it. They won't sue you and they won't ruin you.

But if you blink twice the wrong way at a Muslim, he'll kill you and everyone you know. You're better off being HIS friend.

Which is the only sensible reason why, if you hate religion - or are on record as saying how much you hate religion (say, like Bill Maher) you make it very clear that MUSLIMS aren't on your list. You will NOT hear that guy get on the air and give Muslims the same stuff he routinely gives Christians.

Mongo53

I'd love to see a liberal answer, but I doubt you'll ever get one, instead of trying to resolve the contradictions their emotionally driven decision making creates, they'd rather post cut & pastes from ultra-left websites, full of hyperbole about how evil conservatives are. Then sit back in an emotional high of smug satisfaction about "How they showed those conservatives how bad they really are..."

2 things I think are behind it, either, or a combination of both.
  1. Political Correctness, emotional driven agendas based on victimhood mentality, groups they see as the victim, are automatically elevated in status and side with them on issues, and do NOT side with were the facts lead you. This is has, as in this case, lead to totally contradictary stands on issues, because they are NOT examining the facts of the issues, they simply side with which ever group in the issue seems to be the biggest victim.
  2. Counter-Culture, Contrarianism, the preconceived notion that traditional values, traditional institutions and traditional standards are the root of all things negative they observe today. Its another emotionally driven, void of fact, idealogy, that ends up contradicting itself all the time, because its wrong at it's fundamental roots.
Most liberals won't even examine the facts or positions behind the conflict or the issue, they simply see Crhistians as the Victimizer and side against them, creating thier argument by cherry picking any facts that support them and ignoring any that do NOT. And on the other hand, they simply see Muslims as the Victim and side with them, and make up a intellectually dishonest argument to support their decision after the fact.

-AND/OR-

Most liberals won't even examine the facts behind the issue or conflict, they simple believe that Christians, as a traditional institution in this nation, is at the root everything negative they observe, and thus must be contradicted and marginilized if they are to make any progress toward eleminating those negatives in life they observe.

Muslims, being NON-traditional in this country, must be the polar opposite and therefore the polar opposite of bad must be good.

Everything they attack Christianity for, is ten times worse in Islam, yet they defend Islam. They won't even try to resolve the contradiction, doing so would mean having to re-examine thier idealogy and find the flaws in it, which we know they will NOT do, they want their next emotional high.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd love to see a liberal answer, but I doubt you'll ever get one, instead of trying to resolve the contradictions their emotionally driven decision making creates, they'd rather post cut & pastes from ultra-left websites, full of hyperbole about how evil conservatives are. Then sit back in an emotional high of smug satisfaction about "How they showed those conservatives how bad they really are..."

I think, at core, Sam has it nailed. Salmon Rushdie, who takes a back seat to no one in terms of courage and conviction, calls this "Cowardice masquerading as respect".

Mongo53

laynpipe said:
i could be wrong, but i would tend to think that most liberals are christians.
Very profound :rolleyes: and such a nice dance, but you didn't answer the question.
Unless he is implying there is an element of Self-Loathing in Liberal positions that end up being contradictary.

Its also evidence to my Contrarian point, Contrarians still join and participate in the institutions they condemn and attack, its less about an convictions based in idealogy and more a knee jerk emotional reaction to blame the traditional as being the root cause for anything negative.

SamSpade

Unless he is implying there is an element of Self-Loathing in Liberal positions that end up being contradictary.

Its also evidence to my Contrarian point, Contrarians still join and participate in the institutions they condemn and attack, its less about an convictions based in idealogy and more a knee jerk emotional reaction to blame the traditional as being the root cause for anything negative.

I tended to think of this as the Teenage response to things:

"I just want to be different -- just like all my friends".

Mongo53

I tended to think of this as the Teenage response to things:

"I just want to be different -- just like all my friends".
More like EMO/Goth Teenagers, that reject most people's leinant conformity that is the voluntary result of active particpation in society with positive results, to accept rigit conformity, that is mandated by a small sub-culture that is the result of refusing to participate in society with negative results.

BUT, they are Non-Conformists and everyone else are the mindless Conformists. Such is the life of the Contrarian, unable to see the contradiction that their emotional knee jerk reaction creates, but they still feel superior and love to ride that emotional high.

philibusters

I don't think liberals fear Christianity. They do based on my own personal observation seem to be less religious, though there is probably a large chunk of democrats/liberals that are genuinely religious and who are passionate about their faith (my guess is that may even be the norm in more rural locations, while city liberals tend to be more anti-religious). A lot of liberals are athiests. Atheists range all personality types and just like Christians, some atheists wear that on their sleeves and others are pretty friendly towards religion.

As a self-identified moderate liberal I would say ones stance on Christianity does not really do much to define you as a liberal. Somebody could be deeply religious and be a liberal and somebody could be deep atheistic and be a liberal. If you were including definitions of a liberal, you probably wouldn't include their stance on Christianity.

On the second question, why are liberals not more afraid of Islam, I'll throw that question back at you, Why are conservatives so afraid of Islam. Most liberals in this country know maybe a handful of Muslims in their life, they don't have much contact with Islam, they don't see Islam much in their culture or society. It just not a big deal to them. To them Islam is a religion that really doesn't influence U.S. Society much. They distinguish Islam from the Arab Nationalism in the Middle East, which to liberals seem like oligariachs where the rulers try to direct the passion of the educated classes outwards (in the form of hostility to the west, rather than inwards and the nature of their despotism) and they sometimes succeed (say Saudi Arabia, and sometimes fail--the uprising in Egypt). To liberals this is all a political conflict, distinguishable from the broader issue of Islam

Actually on the second issue, I substituted a lot of my own views for that of a typical liberal, but I feel a lot of liberals probably share similar views on Islam. I have no real fear of Islam, other than the oil money propping up those Arab regimes they would be economic wastelands with little to no influence on the level of third world countries in Asia and South American and I don't fear those cultures overtaking our society and culture at all. Radical Islam as an ideology simply cannot compete in the world of ideas and globalization with the concepts of democracy and capitalism and I don't even take serious as competition for democracy and capitalism. In my opinion, people who dwell on Islam mistakenly think there is a real competition.

E

EmptyTimCup

Why are conservatives so afraid of Islam.

Because we have OUR EYES open and have studied the issues and realize these Molsems are striving to take over the world, with their POLITICAL System, they say one thing on Al-Jazeeria English - Islam is the Religion of Peace - and on the Arabic Al-J how they are going to take over the world, how Shar'ia is coming to America we see it is "Moderate" Muslims HONOR Killing they daughters and sisters when they get to "Westernized"

Iran wants Nuke's so they can nuke the west and bring back the 12th Iman

:buddies:

E

EmptyTimCup

Radical Islam as an ideology simply cannot compete in the world of ideas and globalization with the concepts of democracy and capitalism and I don't even take serious as competition for democracy and capitalism.

Really ....... then why when given a chance to vote for freedom, the Palestinian's voted for Authoritarian Rule under Hamas ....

mark my words the same thing will happen in Egypt in 5 - 10 yrs.

the Moslem Brotherhood was behind Sadat Assignation for making peace with Israel .....

PsyOps

Pixelated

Abortion, Bush and war!

EDIT: Support for Jews and Israel.

Last edited:

philibusters

Because we have OUR EYES open and have studied the issues and realize these Molsems are striving to take over the world, with their POLITICAL System, they say one thing on Al-Jazeeria English - Islam is the Religion of Peace - and on the Arabic Al-J how they are going to take over the world, how Shar'ia is coming to America we see it is "Moderate" Muslims HONOR Killing they daughters and sisters when they get to "Westernized"

Iran wants Nuke's so they can nuke the west and bring back the 12th Iman

:buddies:

Eyes open to what? Without oil these Arab countries are third world countries that people have not heard of. Do we fear being taken over by South American countries and political systems.

All the Arab countries have as political systems are despotism. The despots have a few tools like Islam that can help stablize their power. These Arab countries are nothing in of themselves. Its the oil that gives them influence. Take away the oil and they are just third world countries because of their weak political systems.

Watch out for a country like a China. India is an upcomer too, riddled with corruption, but still a long term threat to the U.S. , these Arab nations are nothing.

As for the faith itself, to be it is very distinguishable from the Arab countries and arab nationalism. The Islam faith has a rich history, its been many things over the last 1300 or so years. Right now one thing fundamental Islam is, is a tool for Arab Nationalism. Islam doesn't have to be extreme. Its just another religion, like Buddhism, Hinduism, or Christianity that can take many shapes and forms. I don't understand why conservatives fear Islam so much. I think part of the reason is they conflate it with Arab nationalism and its more militant anti-west factions, but even when you factor in those, they are nothing on the grand scale of things.

philibusters

Really ....... then why when given a chance to vote for freedom, the Palestinian's voted for Authoritarian Rule under Hamas ....

mark my words the same thing will happen in Egypt in 5 - 10 yrs.

the Moslem Brotherhood was behind Sadat Assignation for making peace with Israel .....

I have no knowledge of the background politics in Palestine. Perhaps HAMAS has been delivering the goods that the people want.

SamSpade

Watch out for a country like a China. India is an upcomer too, riddled with corruption, but still a long term threat to the U.S. , these Arab nations are nothing.

Two different kinds of threats. China would like to take over without firing a shot. Radical Islamists can't wait to fire a shot, and are totally willing to do so on the slightest provocation. If China were to get violent they would stand to lose very, very much. Radical Islamists risk little and fear nothing. China isn't going to be shooting at us - they need us as we are to accomplish what they want. Radical Islamists are ideologues who want death - they are self-proclaimed as death-dealers. Need a quote?

It's the difference between fearing the business competitor who wants to control your market - and the thug down the street who wants to carjack you and leave you in a bloody mess on the street. The first is a slow-moving train rolling down the tracks, the other is a knife in the dark.

Yeah, a LITTLE more afraid of the second guy, and taking what measure I can to be ready.