To a SHA person

blacklabman

Exit from San Souci Plaza onto Rte 235 northbound: there is no directional markers (overhead sign or painted on the roadway) in the far right lane indicating left turn/straight ahead. I use that lane and the idiots keep cutting me off forcing me into the accel/decel lane by the PNC bank. And don't get started on accel/decel lanes! Well, they would probably cut me off anyway, but it gives me a good reason to blast the horn.

Would you please take for action!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Exit from San Souci Plaza onto Rte 235 northbound: there is no directional markers (overhead sign or painted on the roadway) in the far right lane indicating left turn/straight ahead. I use that lane and the idiots keep cutting me off forcing me into the accel/decel lane by the PNC bank. And don't get started on accel/decel lanes! Well, they would probably cut me off anyway, but it gives me a good reason to blast the horn.

Would you please take for action!

Knowing that people swing wide at that turn, using the unmarked lane to turn left is stupid.

SHA can't fix that.

You can usually use your horn by turning left from the center lane and going to the center lane on 235.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I thought it was clearly marked as a straight thru lane, no turn from the right-most lane.
I agree but the word "clearly" might be the operative word. As I recall there were big fat white arrows painted on the road. They may have faded with time and the snow removal may have rendered them hard to see

But yes, as I recall 2 lanes for left (N 235), right most lane is straight to Millstone Landing.

PJumper

I agree but the word "clearly" might be the operative word. As I recall there were big fat white arrows painted on the road. They may have faded with time and the snow removal may have rendered them hard to see

But yes, as I recall 2 lanes for left (N 235), right most lane is straight to Millstone Landing.

Actually, the 3rd lane from left is a left turn/straight ahead lane. The rightmost lane is a right turn only lane.

blacklabman

Actually, the 3rd lane from left is a left turn/straight ahead lane. The rightmost lane is a right turn only lane.

Correct. That is why I stated the far right lane to turn on northbound 235, There is no over-head sign ot arrows/turn lane painted on that lane.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That's my point. There is no marking.

so why did you use it to turn left? What made you believe it was available for left turns?
You have some on here that think it was straight thru, others that it was left turns and straight. Seems to me if you are "assuming", it would be safer to assume it was straight thru only.
eh?

CR / Maple @ 235 is clearly marked.

The changed the pattern at Rt 4 (St. Andrews Church Rd) / 235 a few years back which confused people, but I believe it was marked.

The also changed Wildewood Blvd from left turn / straight to straight only.

So you might want to check your assumptions on this one.

Ok, I had to drop off something at the post office, so on my way out I looked very carefully at the intersection.

BL, you are right; there is no arrow or overhead lane sign for the lane in question.

However.... Lane 1 and 2 (left-most 2 lanes exiting San Souci onto 235 NB) have arrows painted in the lanes clearly identifying them as left turn. Lane 3 has no arrow. Between lanes 1 and 2 is a dotted line. Between lane 2 and 3 is a solid line. Between lane 3 and 4 (rightmost turn-right-only onto 235 SB) is a solid line.

Lanes 1 and 2 are clearly a pair of left turn lanes with arrows above and below. Lane 3 is separate and distinct from those two lanes, separated by a solid line, and is not intended for a left turn, as is lane 4, separate and distinct from the other lanes as a right only.

You are the only person I know that believes and uses lane 3 as a left turn lane, and I can fully understand why you get cut off. I have never seen anyone else make a left from lane 3. I strongly suggest you don't turn left from lane 3 anymore.

That said.... yes, an arrow or overhead sign would remove any doubt. And while they are at it, they can do the same for Town Creek Drive exiting onto 235. It's marked pretty much the same way, and people going straight conflict with those turning.

Look at the overhead view. No question in my mind.

California, St Mary's, Maryland - Google Maps

Last edited:

blacklabman

Ok, I had to drop off something at the post office, so on my way out I looked very carefully at the intersection.

BL, you are right; there is no arrow or overhead lane sign for the lane in question.

However.... Lane 1 and 2 (left-most 2 lanes exiting San Souci onto 235 NB) have arrows painted in the lanes clearly identifying them as left turn. Lane 3 has no arrow. Between lanes 1 and 2 is a dotted line. Between lane 2 and 3 is a solid line. Between lane 3 and 4 (rightmost turn-right-only onto 235 SB) is a solid line.

Lanes 1 and 2 are clearly a pair of left turn lanes with arrows above and below. Lane 3 is separate and distinct from those two lanes, separated by a solid line, and is not intended for a left turn, as is lane 4, separate and distinct from the other lanes as a right only.

You are the only person I know that believes and uses lane 3 as a left turn lane, and I can fully understand why you get cut off. I have never seen anyone else make a left from lane 3. I strongly suggest you don't turn left from lane 3 anymore.

That said.... yes, an arrow or overhead sign would remove any doubt. And while they are at it, they can do the same for Town Creek Drive exiting onto 235. It's marked pretty much the same way, and people going straight conflict with those turning.

Look at the overhead view. No question in my mind.

California, St Mary's, Maryland - Google Maps

Regardless of the markings, a driver in the left most and center lane should maintain that position during the turn, i.e, left most lane takes left most lane on 235, center lane takes center lane on 235. Any thing other than that is an improper turn.

It is interesting that the center lane on Town Creek Drive is MARKED to direct the driver to the third lane on south bound 235 or proceed straight.

And another thing! Maple Road, across from Chancellors Run; both lanes are marked for a left hand turn, but some fool in the left most lane crosses all lanes of 235 to enter the gas station.

And another thing! Maple Road, across from Chancellors Run; both lanes are marked for a left hand turn, but some fool in the left most lane crosses all lanes of 235 to enter the gas station.

They do that to me all the time. I have a big truck with loud horns. I win.