Moral dilemma

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Driving home tonight, car in the ditch. Pulled car out with my truck. Young lady should not of been driving. I let her drive off knowing she should be off the road. .??? What should I have done?

Bradbo

So whats the problem?

No, I'm kidding but what where you going to do? Detain her against her will and call the police, her mother, drunk friends? I think your beating yourself up over nothing you had much control over in the first place.

Or you could have followed her home if you were a real stand up guy, idk It's a tough call.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Parked her car and given her a ride home??

You couldn't force her, but you could have offered.

Parked her car and given her a ride home??

You couldn't force her, but you could have offered.

:yeahthat: I would have left the car in the ditch, locked it and offered her a ride home. Let her deal with the fallout in the morning.

Letting her leave, and then finding out she was in an accident or hurt someone..... I couldn't do that.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
You shouldn't blame yourself too much, because you did try to do a good thing, what seemed right at the time. Ideally, you would have taken her to a spot where she could be picked up or another safe point.

What were the signs that she was not right?

TPD

the poor dad
Yeah - had a conversation in the parking lot one night with a drunk. I let her get in her car to drive home - just made sure I left before her! I didn't have any moral dilemma whatsoever.

Justme2

Sorry to say

One rainy night after work after seeing a car hydroplane in to a ditch. Was going to help the guy get it out. Even went out of my way to help him he was going South bound and I was going North bound in the middle of "NO WHERE" after midnight. By the time I got South side he was on the North side. I went to the North side again I could see him walking the service road. Raining by the buckets full felt really sorry for the guy. I said to myself If I will go to the service road I have to trail him one more time forget it. I Finally got to catch up to him he open the door. I said I give a lift up here to the local service station where I knew there was normally a trooper and maybe the three of us could push you out. Well, Next thing I see and hear the car door slamming like the glass was going to break out of the door and "F that". Stopped at the station any how told Trooper the story and he said car was more then likely stolen wanted my name address etc and was starting to drag in to your have to go to court type of attitude. NEVER Again I will call first *77 or 911. But never getting to involved again.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think what GW said. If you knew she was impaired before puling the car out, tell her you couldnt in good conscience do that unless you knew she wasnt going to drive off and hurt herself or someone else. Offer a ride, or maybe to stay until someone she knew could get there. Of course, this is Friday morning quarterbacking, but that is what you asked for:buddies:

limblips

PREMO Member
[Or you could have followed her home if you were a real stand up guy, idk It's a tough call.[/QUOTE]

Follow her home? Why? So you can watch her crash in front of you? I laugh when people say "I'll follow you home to make sure you get there safely". Or the SOMD evasion technique of: "I am sober, I'll stay behind you so a po po can't see you swerving".

Jbeckman

Yeah - had a conversation in the parking lot one night with a drunk. I let her get in her car to drive home - just made sure I left before her! I didn't have any moral dilemma whatsoever.

I don't understand this attitude. What is she/he injured someone (including themselves)? Why don't people have better sense and call the police. It's like seeing someone with a gun and saying, ahhh- I 'll just make sure I head in the other direction. Impaired, inexperienced, distracted - the car is a weapon....do WHATEVER it takes to stop them. Yep - people have free will - but that includes each of us - and morally we should help keep each other safe.

Clem_Shady

I would have called the police and waited until they arrived....

:dingding:

Car could have been stolen. She could have had a suspended license for multiple drunk driving incidents etc, open arrest warrants etc.

Our family was driving north on 301 several years ago in the Brandywine area. A thug and his girlfriend in one of those big, former police car, Chevy Impalas fly's by us, and cuts right in front of us as we approach the traffic light which was green. Another car from the opposite side of 301 makes a left hand turn at that exact moment and gets t-boned by the Impala at probably 65 MPH. I jam on the breaks to avoid hitting both of them and I get rear-ended by the guy behind me in a big ass pickup truck.

Shock trauma, helicopters, seriously hurt people etc.

The two thugs in the Impala?

The cops found a gun under the seat and they had been looking for them because these two had been robbing numerous businesses at gunpoint.

Next time, just call the cops.

Even if they're sleeping.

:smack:

Bradbo

[Or you could have followed her home if you were a real stand up guy, idk It's a tough call.

Follow her home? Why? So you can watch her crash in front of you? I laugh when people say "I'll follow you home to make sure you get there safely". Or the SOMD evasion technique of: "I am sober, I'll stay behind you so a po po can't see you swerving".[/QUOTE]

Obviously the internet seriously dulled the sarcasm in my voice.

Clem_Shady

Here's a great solution: maybe the off-duty officers that like to work private security with their government owned vehicles and equipment could instead start providing a free ride home service for people who have drank too much alcohol.

We would benefit by having their police presence at bars and on the road, which they claim is a proven deterrent to reducing crime, and the roads would be much safer.

:popcorn:

limblips

PREMO Member
[/COLOR]

Follow her home? Why? So you can watch her crash in front of you? I laugh when people say "I'll follow you home to make sure you get there safely". Or the SOMD evasion technique of: "I am sober, I'll stay behind you so a po po can't see you swerving".

Obviously the internet seriously dulled the sarcasm in my voice.[/QUOTE]

Sure enough did! I got it now!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
off-duty officers that like to work private security with their government owned vehicles and equipment could instead start providing a free ride home service for people who have drank too much alcohol.

I'm sure the county would gratefully accept your offer to fund that service.

One rainy night after work after seeing a car hydroplane in to a ditch. Was going to help the guy get it out. Even went out of my way to help him he was going South bound and I was going North bound in the middle of "NO WHERE" after midnight. By the time I got South side he was on the North side. I went to the North side again I could see him walking the service road. Raining by the buckets full felt really sorry for the guy. I said to myself If I will go to the service road I have to trail him one more time forget it. I Finally got to catch up to him he open the door. I said I give a lift up here to the local service station where I knew there was normally a trooper and maybe the three of us could push you out. Well, Next thing I see and hear the car door slamming like the glass was going to break out of the door and "F that". Stopped at the station any how told Trooper the story and he said car was more then likely stolen wanted my name address etc and was starting to drag in to your have to go to court type of attitude. NEVER Again I will call first *77 or 911. But never getting to involved again.

Ummm, what does this even mean?

G

Gemmi

Here's a great solution: maybe the off-duty officers that like to work private security with their government owned vehicles and equipment could instead start providing a free ride home service for people who have drank too much alcohol.

We would benefit by having their police presence at bars and on the road, which they claim is a proven deterrent to reducing crime, and the roads would be much safer.

:popcorn:

Why should the police officers have to provide transportation for drunks? Stay your ass home and drink or call a taxi.