SMC Public Schools

karen_grip

Here's what I don't understand........per student spending is almost 15,000 dollars per year. Tution at SM Ryken is 10,000 per year and much less for the elementary schools. I think the public schools could learn a math lesson here.

dave1959

I heard Dr. Martiano (sp) say in an interview that about 80% of the budget is spent on personel.
(I be be a little off on the number but it was very high.)

FED_UP

Here's what I don't understand........per student spending is almost 15,000 dollars per year. Tution at SM Ryken is 10,000 per year and much less for the elementary schools. I think the public schools could learn a math lesson here.

Hell for that much just send kids to college once they hit 9th grade.

karen_grip

Sounds like some business should come in and tell them how to run the schools and all the waste. WHY does every classroom need a smartboard? Those things are very $$$$$$$$!!!!!!! What about a chalkboard? That could cut some money Dr. M!

Clem_Shady

Supercomputer Questions:

Clem Shady: How many illegal immigrants does Ryken educate?

Alex 2000: I have only been programmed to respond about what Catholic priests do to little boys.

:killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Interesting point! My son's private school tuition is 7500/year, with almost another grand in various fees and misc expenses, uniforms etc. Little more than half of the 15K public school number and yet he is receiving an education far superior to that he was receiving when in the public school system (exactly why I took him out of of the public school system...)

So much more for so much less. Isn't that odd?

Clem_Shady

Interesting point! My son's private school tuition is 7500/year, with almost another grand in various fees and misc expenses, uniforms etc. Little more than half of the 15K public school number and yet he is receiving an education far superior to that he was receiving when in the public school system (exactly why I took him out of of the public school system...)

So much more for so much less. Isn't that odd?

Awe, little Billigan couldn't handle hanging out in some of the best public schools in the nation?

Or, is he like you and kept getting stuffed in wall lockers?

:popcorn:

terbear1225

Sounds like some business should come in and tell them how to run the schools and all the waste. WHY does every classroom need a smartboard? Those things are very $$$$$$$$!!!!!!! What about a chalkboard? That could cut some money Dr. M!

a couple of factors to consider:

Ryken has an interactive whiteboard in every classroom. (same basic functions as a whiteboard but less expensive and less likely to be damaged and have to be replaced)

Teacher salaries at Ryken are about 80% what public school teachers get.

For the person who commented on nuns, there are no nuns employed by Ryken. There is one brother on staff as a math tutor.

Clem_Shady

a couple of factors to consider:

Ryken has an interactive whiteboard in every classroom. (same basic functions as a whiteboard but less expensive and less likely to be damaged and have to be replaced)

Teacher salaries at Ryken are about 80% what public school teachers get.

For the person who commented on nuns, there are no nuns employed by Ryken. There is one brother on staff as a math tutor.

They only employ one black guy?

Wud up wid dat?

:jameo:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Awe, little Billigan couldn't handle hanging out in some of the best public schools in the nation?n:

Comparing SAT scores, scholarships, NHS awards, etc, etc....I don't know how you define 'best' but it's certainly far different than I do. I particlarly like the 100% graduation rate and the 95% college entry rate. Compare that to SMCPS. Heck, Great Mills can only graduate 75% of their kids.

I can afford better for him..and so that's what he's getting. Nothing like a maximum 10 kids per classroom..nothing like it.:coffee:

amyinmd

LOTS OF WASTE in public schools not just here but nationwide. NEA union has ruined public schools. Watch WAITING FOR SUPERMAN.

stars24

I haven't read each post so this might have already been said, but keep in mind, public schools are mandated by federal and state laws to provide services that private schools are not.

A child that is on a ventilator and in a wheel chair and needs a full time, one-on-one nurse, in addition to physical therapy & occupational therapy, the school pays for all of that (including salary & benefits for the employees, and any equipment that is necessary, even summer services if deemed necessary). A child that has a severe emotional disability and puts other kids or themselves at risk and needs to be served at a school out of county with the resources to handle such children - public schools can't just turn them away, so they have to pay their tuition and the special transportation to get there. A deaf child that needs a full-time sign language interpreter, speech therapy, teachers of the deaf - public schools have to provide all that.... (According to the Individuals with Disabilities Act, aka IDEA, and the requirement that schools provide FAPE, a Free Appropriate Public Education).

I'm not sure what the number is, but if you say you read that St. Mary's spends $15,000 per child, keep in mind that's an average. There are several children in the district whose needs may add up to over $100,000 per year so the others are getting "what's left" after the schools meet these expensive federal/state mandates under IDEA. When Congress passed the Act, they promised to pay 40% of the costs that providing these services would entail, but they have never come close to that (never above 17.7%, often much less than that).

So keep in mind private schools do not need nearly the staff the public schools require to meet all the federal mandates (special education teachers, physical therapy, occupational therapy, teachers for the visually impaired and Deaf/hard of hearing, adapted physical education, speech therapists, one-on-one aids, registered nurses, audiologists, teachers for English language learners etc.) so that might account for some of why so much of the budget is spent on personnel and why public schools are forced, by law, to pay for such expensive services these days..... they really do impact a budget greatly. And, cutting these expenditures is not an option, as the liability for not providing such services and the litigation expenditures in trying to justify it would likely be even worse...

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You need to stop using logic, facts and laws. It ruins the point of this thread which is to gratuitously bash teachers. Geez, get with the program.

A signer for a deaf student will get between $300 and $400/day.

If that Emotionally Disabled student has to be placed in residential treatment the cost can go to $300/K per year. Doesn't take too many of those to get to $1M.

Students with IEPs are guaranteed education until age 21 (IDEA, FAPE, LRE).

Doesn't St. Mary's provide transportation to the various private schools? If so, then that cost is added into the public numbers.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I haven't read each post so this might have already been said, but keep in mind, public schools are mandated by federal and state laws to provide services that private schools are not.

A child that is on a ventilator and in a wheel chair and needs a full time, one-on-one nurse, in addition to physical therapy & occupational therapy, the school pays for all of that (including salary & benefits for the employees, and any equipment that is necessary, even summer services if deemed necessary). A child that has a severe emotional disability and puts other kids or themselves at risk and needs to be served at a school out of county with the resources to handle such children - public schools can't just turn them away, so they have to pay their tuition and the special transportation to get there. A deaf child that needs a full-time sign language interpreter, speech therapy, teachers of the deaf - public schools have to provide all that.... (According to the Individuals with Disabilities Act, aka IDEA, and the requirement that schools provide FAPE, a Free Appropriate Public Education).

I'm not sure what the number is, but if you say you read that St. Mary's spends $15,000 per child, keep in mind that's an average. There are several children in the district whose needs may add up to over $100,000 per year so the others are getting "what's left" after the schools meet these expensive federal/state mandates under IDEA. When Congress passed the Act, they promised to pay 40% of the costs that providing these services would entail, but they have never come close to that (never above 17.7%, often much less than that).

So keep in mind private schools do not need nearly the staff the public schools require to meet all the federal mandates (special education teachers, physical therapy, occupational therapy, teachers for the visually impaired and Deaf/hard of hearing, adapted physical education, speech therapists, one-on-one aids, registered nurses, audiologists, teachers for English language learners etc.) so that might account for some of why so much of the budget is spent on personnel and why public schools are forced, by law, to pay for such expensive services these days..... they really do impact a budget greatly. And, cutting these expenditures is not an option, as the liability for not providing such services and the litigation expenditures in trying to justify it would likely be even worse...

Thanks, I forget the word 'Public' in public schools means it MUST be open to all.
Just curious: Wonder if you took the academic entry requirements of Ryken, eliminated the various athletic scholarships, how would the same academic level of public school kids stack up as far as graduation and college?
:popcorn:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Thanks for posting. Private schools get to pick and choose who they educate. The other thing different is the level of parental involvement. A lot of private schools mandate that parents be invovlved, volunteer hours, etc. The OP, like many others, doesn't understand this.

laynpipe

Comparing SAT scores, scholarships, NHS awards, etc, etc....I don't know how you define 'best' but it's certainly far different than I do. I particlarly like the 100% graduation rate and the 95% college entry rate. Compare that to SMCPS. Heck, Great Mills can only graduate 75% of their kids.

I can afford better for him..and so that's what he's getting. Nothing like a maximum 10 kids per classroom..nothing like it.:coffee:

you can afford better for him because you under pay your employees to further driving down the living wage, yet keeping company profits for yourself. forcing employees to pay more for healthcare and prescriptions.....all so little billigan can go to private school. sounds like a smaller model of corporate greed.

Did we really need to put our educational monies into such nice to haves???

St. Mary's schools drawing on the latest technology in use of whiteboards

The boards are similar to dry-erase marker boards but are interfaced with a computer and projector. Students and teachers can touch the board to activate functions. School officials did not have an estimate on how many additional boards will be purchased.

Instruments such as a graphing calculator can be projected onto the board, and a teacher can walk students through the process of solving a math problem. The device also can send screen shots of lessons via e-mail to parents or students who might be absent.

"That becomes the lifeline," Green Holly Elementary School Principal Wauchilue Adams said.