Should I complain? Aka st. mary's hospital stinks

seansgirl

Okay so my father is on a breathing tube right now at St. Mary's Hospital in ICU. He has an underlying lung disease. I want to know if I should complain about the way the nurse treated me and my family yesterday, I can't remember her name right now. She was rude, not compassionate. When I would ask questions she was condescending. She also told me in a very rude tone that oh his lung disease means he needs a new lung. Isn't that kind of ya know, not right? COPD can be treated, she didn't have to say he'll need a new lung...hell she said she didn't even get a chance to look at his charts...wtf is she doing working on my dad if she hasn't " had the time" to look at his charts. BTW he is beginning to do much better, I was just wondering if I should complain to the hospital about this woman.

Last edited:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
This will likely be the most exciting thing to happen here over the weekend, so I say yes. :yay:

dave1959

I would think you would be more interested in how your "dad" is being treated and not how "you" are treated. Take a pill and relax, stay focused on
your dad and when things calm down in a day or two then look at the situation again. It may not have been as bad as first thought.

FED_UP

Okay so my father is on a breathing tube right now at St. Mary's Hospital in ICU. He has an underlying lung disease. I want to know if I should complain about the way the nurse treated me and my family yesterday, I can't remember her name right now. She was rude, not compassionate. When I would ask questions she was condescending. She also told me in a very rude tone that oh his lung disease means he needs a new lung. Isn't that kind of ya know, not right? COPD can be treated, she didn't have to say he'll need a new lung...hell she said she didn't even get a chance to look at his charts...wtf is she doing working on my dad if she hasn't " had the time" to look at his charts. BTW he is beginning to do much better, I was just wondering if I should complain to the hospital about this woman.

I don't see anything serious you wrote worth complaining about, maybe she was not required to read the chart at that point :shrug: anyway hope he gets better.

frequentflier

happy to be living

It seems to me that the person you should be asking questions about your
Dad's health is the doctor treating him; not a nurse.
Patients families tend to be very emotional and stressed and it is nice to be treated with compassion and respect. However, it works both ways. What was your attitude like?
Making a statement that implies the hospital stinks is a bit exaggerated and immature; based on the actions of one nurse. Working in the ICU cannot be easy as people tend to be very ill and they do die there. Is it possible another patient could have just died and she was having an emotional moment herself? Though they are supposed to be professional, nurses and hospital staff are still human.
Hope your Dad feels better soon.

Last edited:
Patients families tend to be very emotional and stressed and it is nice to be treated with compassion and respect. However, it works both ways. What was your attitude like?
Making a statement that implies the hospital stinks is a bit exaggerated and immature; based on the actions of one nurse. Working in the ICU cannot be easy as people tend to be very ill and they do die there. Hpw do you know she hadn't just called the coroner or had an emotional moment herself?

Well said... I have the same take on it... SG, it seems as though you were trying to extract medical diagnosis from the nurse when it is not her place to give you an opinion... it is the place of the doctor.

The worst part about having a loved one in the hospital is the waiting and the unknown. Take a step back and look at it from a different perspective... sounds like expected her to give you warm and fuzzies and took it as a personal afront that she didn't. I don't see that as a reason to be outraged at the hospital or the staff.

Hope he recovers soon.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
How is she treating your father? Does she treat him with compassion and competence?

I understand your frustration. Even more I actually know through personal experiences at both St. Mary's and Civista that often the ICU nurses prefer to work with someone who is dying (this said directly by the nurses themselves). This does not apply to all of them.

At Civista my mother could not communicate due to a breathing tube and was very weak. The nurse came in checking her over and giving medication and she was very rough with her. When I questioned it she said my mother was basically dead and she didn't see why she had to waste her efforts. I informed her that my mother could HEAR what she was saying and she argued with me. When the nurse left my mother opened her eyes and gave her me the LOOK. I got that nurse fired. Sorry but she had no business in that business.

Read up on medical ethicism and the number of people entering the medical profession to further the agenda.

That said, they treat the patients, not the families. The patient advocate is the one that holds your hand not the the medical staff.

Clem_Shady

File the complaint.

Medical personnel are supposed to be compassionate and understand that you're stressed during bad times.

I don't know if they fired her yet, but their used to be, or still is, this fat azz, rude, beeyitch at the Radiology desk that acted like she was doing you a favor waiting on you. And she was like that to me more than once.

You already know what I did, right?

:whistle:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
File the complaint.

Medical personnel are supposed to be compassionate and understand that you're stressed during bad times.

I don't know if they fired her yet, but their used to be, or still is, this fat azz, rude, beeyitch at the Radiology desk that acted like she was doing you a favor waiting on you. And she was like that to me more than once.

You already know what I did, right?

Union rules say that they don't have to be compassionate anymore.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
And being retired means I don't have to behave anymore...

I'm guessing that you didn't even then. You were probably the mouthy little know it all that retired as a first class because the chiefs didn't want to put up with you in their berthing or mess.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Making a statement that implies the hospital stinks is a bit exaggerated and immature; based on the actions of one nurse. Working in the ICU cannot be easy as people tend to be very ill and they do die there. Is it possible another patient could have just died and she was having an emotional moment herself? Though they are supposed to be professional, nurses and hospital staff are still human.

Well said... I have the same take on it... SG, it seems as though you were trying to extract medical diagnosis from the nurse when it is not her place to give you an opinion... it is the place of the doctor.

The worst part about having a loved one in the hospital is the waiting and the unknown. Take a step back and look at it from a different perspective... sounds like expected her to give you warm and fuzzies and took it as a personal afront that she didn't. I don't see that as a reason to be outraged at the hospital or the staff.

Hope he recovers soon.

Well said, ladies :yay:

Roman

Hospital

It's really hard to do your job when someone is asking you questions that you can not answer. The Nurse should have nicely directed the person to question the Doctor. The Nurse should also remember what she learned in School.."Sometimes, you have to treat the Family" especially when a Loved One is in bad shape. I do agree with one of the posts, that you should wait until things have calmed down a bit. Re-think, and if you still feel like that situation needs to be addressed..by all means..go for it. I would have gotten a hold of her verbally, while the situation was still fresh in my mind. Chances are, that when a few days pass, you'll see it wasn't as bad as you thought.
I hope that your Father is going to be OK.

redbear101282

i was at the hospital er yesterday, telling them i thought i had bronchitis with how bad i was wheezing and how sick i had been feeling, they wouldnt even do a chest x-ray. they told me i had upper respiratory infection, which i still dont believe. and they even told me to follow up with my regular doctor, i laughed in their face and told them that if i did have one, do u think i would be here? so i am home trying to get back to myself.

hope all goes good with your dad.

Justme2

Stress

When a family member is very very sick other than something like the common cold. Needs an operation of some kind or is not in condition to operate on at all your world is crashing down.
You feel helpless, lonely, sometimes the little things seem the most important to you. When in fact it really was not a problem at all. I have learned over the years to take that energy and Pray to God to give the doctors the wisdom to heal your family member.
Remember we all are human we all make mistakes. Some of the jobs we all do when we see other people at difficult times in their lives we still have a job to do and can not show compassion or other wise that person becomes to involved and can not do the things that need to be do to heal your family member. God Bless your Family I pray he gets better.

nomoney

i was at the hospital er yesterday, telling them i thought i had bronchitis with how bad i was wheezing and how sick i had been feeling, they wouldnt even do a chest x-ray. they told me i had upper respiratory infection, which i still dont believe. and they even told me to follow up with my regular doctor, i laughed in their face and told them that if i did have one, do u think i would be here? so i am home trying to get back to myself.

hope all goes good with your dad.

people like you are the reason it takes those that go to the ER for an actual emergency 4 hours to get seen. Take your coughing ass to a regular DR.

The ER stands for EMERGENCY Room. Unless you were coughing up blood and passing out from not being able to breathe...it was not an EMERGENCY.

Now go to CVS, buy some mucinex, and stfu.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
This will likely be the most exciting thing to happen here over the weekend, so I say yes.
Given that Clem_Slimy also said to file the complaint, that is obviously the wrong way to go. Therefore, I will now change my answer to agreeing with what frequentflier said.