Skunk!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I've got 85-lbs of skunk-sprayed dog - any suggestions for de-stinking her?

(She landed in my bed at 5 this morning - yuck!)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:lol: It's awful! One of our boxers met up with an unfriendly skunk a few years ago. Tried the peroxide/dishwashing liquid mixture...didn't work.

Best thing was Nature's Miracle-Skunk. We found it in Petco in Prince Frederick. Had to do two applications but it worked very well.

Good luck!

my-thyme

Patron
:lol: It's awful! One of our boxers met up with an unfriendly skunk a few years ago. Tried the peroxide/dishwashing liquid mixture...didn't work.

Best thing was Nature's Miracle-Skunk. We found it in Petco in Prince Frederick. Had to do two applications but it worked very well.

Good luck!

I was all ready to try the peroxide/baking soda/dishwashing liquid...

my-thyme

Patron
'mater juice....and a bike ride.

I bet a ride through the wind would do her a lot of good, but she'd look pretty funny stapped on my little bike behind me :killingme

My hubby keeps hollaring 'mater juice at me, but she's a big ole white dog, and I just can't see that being a good mix.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I've got 85-lbs of skunk-sprayed dog - any suggestions for de-stinking her?

(She landed in my bed at 5 this morning - yuck!)

How is your dog doing? My Boxer got sprayed in October... worst smell ever! My garage stunk for weeks, and my poor dog did, too!

After my boy got sprayed hubby and I traveled to the Pet store in California (next to Old Navy). They were out of the "good" stuff. We then went to Walmart and had no luck, but managed to get some other dog shampoo. While standing in line the cashier kept looking around, and finally asked "Does anyone smell skunk?" Hubby and I busted out... and had to come clean!! :roflmao:

my-thyme

Patron
Round 2 this morning!

Sorry I never followed up on this, 'cause I found THE CURE!

Called my sister-in-law last spring about skunk spray. They live in Vermont, where skunks and dogs often meet with disasterously stinky results.

Her advice - a product called tecnu, found in the drug store shelved with the poison ivy creams. Rub dog down before introducing any water to their coat, then follow with a shampoo. Did a good job last spring, but I had already tried the peroxide solution, so she was wet when I applied the technu. Did a great job this morning!

The stuff was originally developed for NUCLEAR FALLOUT! :killingme The inventor's wife found that it also worked for poison ivy, and because the yucky parts are all oil based, someone tried it for skunk, and it works wonders!

We have the Natures Miracle de- skunker and will be open at 11 in Solomons:howdy:

If the shop had been open earlier, I'd have tried the stuff the pet stores sell, but at 9:30 I was willing to try anything! Had the technu not worked, I'd have been at the door when you opened. Now I've got 3 bottles of technu under the kitchen sink! (Used half a bottle last time, 1/4 did the job this morning.)

Thank goodness hubby smelled it this morning as soon as he opened the door. Last spring she landed in our bed, on top of me, covered in skunk spray - not funny!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

Good luck!

thats what I use here in the shop too...good stuff

bulldog

Round 2 this morning!

Sorry I never followed up on this, 'cause I found THE CURE!

Called my sister-in-law last spring about skunk spray. They live in Vermont, where skunks and dogs often meet with disasterously stinky results.

Her advice - a product called tecnu, found in the drug store shelved with the poison ivy creams. Rub dog down before introducing any water to their coat, then follow with a shampoo. Did a good job last spring, but I had already tried the peroxide solution, so she was wet when I applied the technu. Did a great job this morning!

The stuff was originally developed for NUCLEAR FALLOUT! :killingme The inventor's wife found that it also worked for poison ivy, and because the yucky parts are all oil based, someone tried it for skunk, and it works wonders!

If the shop had been open earlier, I'd have tried the stuff the pet stores sell, but at 9:30 I was willing to try anything! Had the technu not worked, I'd have been at the door when you opened. Now I've got 3 bottles of technu under the kitchen sink! (Used half a bottle last time, 1/4 did the job this morning.)

Thank goodness hubby smelled it this morning as soon as he opened the door. Last spring she landed in our bed, on top of me, covered in skunk spray - not funny!

Hmmm. I use tecnu for poison ivy myself, but never thought of it for skunks. Thinking about it, it is designed to wash away the ivy oils so maybe it works the same way with skunk spray. Interesting and I'll have to keep some on hand cause it's not unusual for me to walk up on a skunk at 0400 when heading into the woods for hunting.