Whats behind the recent speeding enforcement wave?

glhs837

Power with Control
And who is it, just State police? I have seen about 4-6 stationary speed enforcement patrols in the last few days. GMR, both the usual spot in front of the trailer park and down by Sheetez, Chancellors Run, Pegg Road, and a couple of others. Somebody got grant money to burn up?

glhs837

Power with Control
You really dont make much off of that, although politicians might not be able to sort that out, One reason automated enforcement is so popular, its actually a money maker. Using officers to make money fails because they cost so much.

Usually, its a thing like "Smooth Operator" program, where the Feds hand outafew million here and there to combat "aggressive driving", with lots of paid for overtime. Officers pul a lot of overtime, run roadblocks, issue a ton of speeding citations, a few seat belt and equipment violations, and through sheer random chance catch a few real bad guys like DUIs or folks with warrants.

But I find none of the usual press releases that signal a Smooth Operator wave.

Freefaller

It's that time of year

And who is it, just State police? I have seen about 4-6 stationary speed enforcement patrols in the last few days. GMR, both the usual spot in front of the trailer park and down by Sheetez, Chancellors Run, Pegg Road, and a couple of others. Somebody got grant money to burn up?

Happens every spring. As the weather gets better, speeds tend to increase so the State Troopers give out the little reminders to slow down. It's easy to avoid, just don't drive too fast.

glhs837

Power with Control
Happens every spring. As the weather gets better, speeds tend to increase so the State Troopers give out the little reminders to slow down. It's easy to avoid, just don't drive too fast.

Nope, sure doesnt. I pay close attention to this, and this is the most activity of this nature we have had in a few years down here. And I dont worry about avoiding it, between rarely exceeding 78-mph over, and running a radar detector, my odds of being pulled over are very small.

But the increase in radar hits from stationary did catch my notice.

I see nothing wrong with states receiving revenue from issuing speeding tickets. It's a personal choice to speed and a speeder knows the risks involved. I look at it as a voluntary donation towards the state deficit... we thank you for your support...:patriot:

glhs837

Power with Control
I see nothing wrong with states receiving revenue from issuing speeding tickets. It's a personal choice to speed and a speeder knows the risks involved. I look at it as a voluntary donation towards the state deficit... we thank you for your support...:patriot:

My only real beef is that there are much more dangerous driving behaviors that we ignore becuase speeding is easy to catch, even though its not very high on the list of causes of accidents.

royhobie

hobieflyer

Enforcement is increased as part of the St. Patrick's Day push. This is intended to be an increase in enforcement primarily for DWI. However, the money made from a few tickets, other than DWI enforcement is always appreciated by our Tax Happy Governor.

glhs837

Power with Control
I had thought about that Roy, but wasnt sure if they pushed this far forward. Ah, this is interesting......enforcement for fun and profit (well, grant money, but doing enforcement to make money sets a bad precedent)

http://stko.maryland.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=18PU4EFxA9w=&tabid=122&mid=984

Idea is good, but this one bugs me.... Under "Aggresive Driving Training", what do we find?

o RADAR training;
o LIDAR training;
o VASCAR training;
o Crash Reconstruction training (Basic/On-scene, Advanced Collision, or Crash Recon); and
o Related NHTSA Regional and/or national summits and conferences.

so, the only enforcement we do for aggressive driving is go after speeders? Thought so, nice to see that confirmed.

Also like this note about judging.....

NOTE: A large portion of the judging criteria will be based on enforcement and education activities during the required mobilization periods. It is important to track efforts specifically during these periods, but an agency should be prepared to provide citations and arrests, as well as overall effort levels, for the entire year

And the awards.....

 Smooth Operator Award, typically given away each year to those officers that have demonstrated a commitment to preventing aggressive driving and speeding.

since of course, we only train how to catch speeders to combat aggressive driving, how do we win this award? Not by actually going after aggressive drivers, but by bagging a bunch of speeders. :geek:

CrashTest

Not much revenue catching killers and rapists so why bother. :whistle:

woogie

They are competing with Calvert County for the next
episodes of "Speeders"! They are practicing different
methods of speed traps and revenue generation. Look
for a marked "lack of resources" during this period that
would normally be used for REAL crimes like drugs, rapes,
robberies, etc.

Look for an increase in these crimes during this "all hands
ENFORCEMENT effort". The bad guys DO read/watch the
news and plan accordingly!

After all, those crimes don't make good "reality TV" or
generate revenue for the State of County coffers. No
"face-time" on camera for the "Law ENFORCEMENT Officers"
when doing REAL crime-fighting! But they are STARS on
"Speeders"!

glhs837

Power with Control
See above for the competition aspect. As for the "Speeders" tie in, nah, I cant see Cameron going for that. I think he has blown off the above competition these last couple of years, but now with money crunching, he feels the need for the grant money. Just me speculating of course.

And, hv, I did mean 7mph-8mph, although I did see a woman pass me at a speed that had to be over 70mph. In a 40, I might add. And she was going through traffic. Thats why I didnt and wouldnt complain about them running speed enforcement on CR lately. Folks were out of control, with folks routinely doing 60-70 or more over weaving through traffic going 45-50.

That sort of speed differential on a road with this many access points is asking for disaster.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My only real beef is that there are much more dangerous driving behaviors that we ignore becuase speeding is easy to catch, even though its not very high on the list of causes of accidents.

QFT. But a speeding ticket is a guilty until proven innocent fine and with the point system they can extort more money via the "charitable contribution" system of point abatement.

Enforcement is increased as part of the St. Patrick's Day push. This is intended to be an increase in enforcement primarily for DWI. However, the money made from a few tickets, other than DWI enforcement is always appreciated by our Tax Happy Governor.

Interesting comments after the last Sobriety Checkpoint exercise. They commented on the number of outstanding warrants they were able to close. It's a "legit" way to stop and search vehicles. The only thing they aren't allowed to do is check your citizenship / immigration status.