Dept. of Education to monitor chatter, Facebook

E

EmptyTimCup

:shocking:

REPORT: Dept. of Education to monitor chatter, Facebook

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM EDT

So apparently the government now wants principles and teachers to police their students outside of school. Don’t worry, they won’t be showing up at your home – at first – they want to watch your kids on Facebook and Twitter.

Glenn said, “We have a report now from the Department of Education. Officials are, quote, threatening school principals are lawsuits if they fail to monitor and curb students’ lunchtime chats. They’re worried about bullying. And lunchtime chats need to monitored now. So your children need to listened to by the schools so they can understand what your children are saying to each other. Well, that’s good. We will monitor the children, yeah. We will hear what the children are saying. They’re threatening principals with lawsuits if they don’t monitor that, and they’re going a step further.”

“They now have to listen not only to the lunchtime chats but also anytime, not at school time, anytime the children are on Facebook or Twitter. If there is anything harassing or racist or anything else that the school or the school’s principal is concerned with and doesn’t want to get sued by the federal government, well, the principal needs to call that student in.”

According to the story, Facebook is said to be thrilled to be working with White House officials “to foster government oversight of teens’ online activities” as Pat put it.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Okay, help me out here...

Here is the link to the original document (the Dear Colleague letter)
Dear Colleague Letter from Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Russlynn Ali.-- Pg 1

I have just read the entire thing and I don't see where it is requiring the school to monitor Facebook. "Social media" is specifically mentioned on page 8 in the discussion of a specific example.

What am I missing here? (It is Friday, it's been a rough week, and I'm tired.)

TIA!

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
So Glenn Beck's report cites a news story from another news agency, except the news agency he cites is a website HE owns and controls operations of :killingme

Real nice Glenn :killingme

royhobie

hobieflyer

Various media used by students have been monitored for quite some time. Nothing new. This has been done primarily by law enforcement. However, because of the extent of the use of My Space and other forms of electronic media, there isn't enough law enforcement to monitor this use as they wanted. Therefore, the thought is to expand to some "trained" educational professionals. If any concerns in on line communication is detected, it is supposed to be reported to law enforcement for follow up.

Students are well known to post a wide range of comments using various media sources. Some type of comments have been suicide messages, various types of threats, etc. This is why law enforcement is interested in the posting of this type of activity. Posting of threats using "electronic media" is also a Federal offense. However, it is rarely enforced by the FBI. The FBI would rarely get involved when children or older students do this UNLESS there is civil rights violation. Then the FBI is certain to be involved. However, most students these days have no idea what a person's civil rights, are. You should expect far more serious consequences for the use of any type of electronic media for the purpose of cyber bullying. The States and Fed Govt. will be getting far more serious about this within the next few years. Before they were light to moderate because of the age of the violators. Now, new Federal laws in conjunction with the States will mandate swift, harsher penalities. The communication within the electronic media such as My Space and others is easy to obtain with a search warrant by any law enforcement agency. This would be used for prosecution.

E

EmptyTimCup

Various media used by students have been monitored for quite some time. Nothing new. This has been done primarily by law enforcement.

so LEO are randomly looking at Facebook posting by Teens for what exactly ?

where is the probably cause

.... complaints from others ??

or just Trolling looking @ 13 yr old girls ........

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
In my school system, Facebook is blocked -- we couldn't monitor it if we wanted to and I sure don't want to monitor it for anybody! I would imagine if it comes to the attention of the school administration that bullying is going on via Facebook, at that point, it would be turned over to the police as a harassment case. Let the police monitor it. Schools are only responsible for children for 7 hours out of every 24. How does that make us responsible for every single thing that impacts the welfare of our kids? Where are the parents???????

E

EmptyTimCup

Remember Hillary said it takes a Village to raise a child

.... parents are too ####ing stupid to do ti on there own ....

:buddies:

DipStick

so LEO are randomly looking at Facebook posting by Teens for what exactly ?

where is the probably cause

.... complaints from others ??

or just Trolling looking @ 13 yr old girls ........

Several mass shootings have been prevented because law enforcement learned of the plots on facebook and myspace.

I won't get in to the technicalities of how they do stuff, but it's not unlawful... just remember, everything you post on the internet is public record for eternity.

E

EmptyTimCup

.... just remember, everything you post on the internet is public record for eternity.

yep sure is ....

put why are we not paying educators to do this

So apparently the government now wants principles and teachers to police their students outside of school. Don’t worry, they won’t be showing up at your home – at first – they want to watch your kids on Facebook and Twitter.

why don't we just put GPS Trackers with and Cell Phones w/Open Mics on them .... that way we know where that are and what is being said .........

DipStick

ok Great .......... GB found someplace to spend his money

does it make the story less relevant ? is it supported by FACTS .... not lefty spin from Media Matters

Twinoaks posted the document. If The Blaze and The Daily Caller are going to report on a public document that demands "school principals ... monitor and curb students’ lunchtime chat and evening Facebook time", don't you think they have the responsibility to post the document they are "reporting" on?

If they were going to support it with facts, they'd quote the report and post the entire report. It's righty spin.

And Media Matters uses videotape and audiotape evidence... doesn't get much more factual than that.

E

EmptyTimCup

lets rewrite some history ..........

The agency’s threats, which are delivered in a so-called “Dear Colleague” letter,” have the support of White House officials, including President Barack Obama, who held a Mar. 10 White House meeting to promote the initiative as a federal “anti-bullying” policy.

The letter says federal officials have reinterpreted the civil-rights laws that require school principals to curb physical bullying, as well as racist and sexist speech, that take place within school boundaries. Under the new interpretation, principals and their schools are legally liable if they fail to curb “harassment” of students, even if it takes place outside the school, on Facebook or in private conversation among a few youths.

“Harassing conduct may take many forms, including verbal acts and name-calling; graphic and written statements, which may include use of cell phones or the Internet… it does not have to include intent to harm, be directed at a specific target, or involve repeated incidents [but] creates a hostile environment … [which can] limit a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or opportunities offered by a school,” according to the far-reaching letter, which was completed Oct. 26 by Russlynn Ali, who heads the agency’s civil rights office.

Read more: Education Department | Facebook | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Last edited by a moderator:

DipStick

lets rewrite some history ..........

The letter twinoaks posted (that again is neither linked nor quoted directly in these "reports") says no such thing.

You keep quoting the DC and Glenn Beck (sorry, The Blaze owned and operated by Glenn Beck) and this is the third time now I've challenged the sources you continue to use.

Just admit it, Beck and the Daily Caller were talking out of their asses.

The letter merely defines cyber-bullying and cyber-bullying on social networks. It does not "demand" principals curb the activity.

Last edited:
E

EmptyTimCup

The letter merely defines cyber-bullying and cyber-bullying on social networks. It does not "demand" principals curb the activity.

:shortbus:

I realize you are the product of a public school education, but are you so naive to think this will not spill over to the social media ... that the Dept of ED sues school systems that does not address what "THEY" in Washington DC think they should know ....

A school is responsible for addressing harassment incidents about which it knows or reasonably should have known.

how is school system going to address Cyberbullying unless some teacher of other administrator is surfing facebook / my space

A school is responsible for addressing harassment incidents about which it knows or reasonably should have known.9 In some situations, harassment may be in plain sight, widespread, or well-known to students and staff, such as harassment occurring in hallways, during academic or physical education classes, during extracurricular activities, at recess, on a school bus, or through graffiti in public areas. In these cases, the obvious signs of the harassment are sufficient to put the school on notice. In other situations, the school may become aware of misconduct, triggering an investigation that could lead to the discovery of additional incidents that, taken together, may constitute a hostile environment. In all cases, schools should have well-publicized policies prohibiting harassment and procedures for reporting and resolving complaints that will alert the school to incidents of harassment.10

When responding to harassment, a school must take immediate and appropriate action to investigate or otherwise determine what occurred. The specific steps in a school’s investigation will vary depending upon the nature of the allegations, the source of the complaint, the age of the student or students involved, the size and administrative structure of the school, and other factors. In all cases, however, the inquiry should be prompt, thorough, and impartial.

If an investigation reveals that discriminatory harassment has occurred, a school must take prompt and effective steps reasonably calculated to end the harassment, eliminate any hostile environment and its effects, and prevent the harassment from recurring. These duties are a school’s responsibility even if the misconduct also is covered by an anti-bullying policy, and regardless of whether a student has complained, asked the school to take action, or identified the harassment as a form of discrimination.

Appropriate steps to end harassment may include separating the accused harasser and the target, providing counseling for the target and/or harasser, or taking disciplinary action against the harasser. These steps should not penalize the student who was harassed. For example, any separation of the target from an alleged harasser should be designed to minimize the burden on the target’s educational program (e.g., not requiring the target to change his or her class schedule).

In addition, depending on the extent of the harassment, the school may need to provide training or other interventions not only for the perpetrators, but also for the larger school community, to ensure that all students, their families, and school staff can recognize harassment if it recurs and know how to respond. A school also may be required to provide additional services to the student who was harassed in order to address the effects of the harassment, particularly if the school initially delays in responding or responds inappropriately or inadequately to information about harassment. An effective response also may need to include the issuance of new policies against harassment and new procedures by which students, parents, and employees may report allegations of harassment (or wide dissemination of existing policies and procedures), as well as wide distribution of the contact information for the district’s Title IX and Section 504/Title II coordinators.11

Finally, a school should take steps to stop further harassment and prevent any retaliation against the person who made the complaint (or was the subject of the harassment) or against those who provided information as witnesses. At a minimum, the school’s responsibilities include making sure that the harassed students and their families know how to report any subsequent problems, conducting follow-up inquiries to see if there have been any new incidents or any instances of retaliation, and responding promptly and appropriately to address continuing or new problems.

I encourage you to reevaluate the policies and practices your school uses to address bullying19 and harassment to ensure that they comply with the mandates of the federal civil rights laws.

referenced website for information on Bullying:

Home | StopBullying.gov

Cyberbullying, instead of happening face-to-face, happens through the use of technology such as computers, cell phones and other electronic devices. Cyberbullying peaks around the end of middle school and the beginning of high school.

Examples of cyberbullying include:

* Sending hurtful, rude, or mean text messages to others
* Spreading rumors or lies about others by e-mail or on social networks
* Creating websites, videos or social media profiles that embarrass, humiliate, or make fun of others

Bullying online is very different from face-to-face bullying because messages and images can be:

* Sent 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
* Shared be shared to a very wide audience
* Sent anonymously

Effects of Cyberbullying

Research on cyberbullying has found that students involved are more likely to:

* Be unwilling to attend school
* Receive poor grades
* Have lower self-esteem
* Have more health problems

Cyberbullying can have particular affects on those who are targeted. Research has found that young people who have been cyberbullied are significantly more likely to:

* Use alcohol and drugs
* Skip school
* Experience in-person bullying or victimization

Last edited by a moderator:

DipStick

:shortbus:

I realize you are the product of a public school education, but are you so naive to think this will not spill over to the social media ... that the Dept of ED sues school systems that does not address what "THEY" in Washington DC think they should know ....

how is school system going to address Cyberbullying unless some teacher of other administrator is surfing facebook / my space

referenced website for information on Bullying:

Home | StopBullying.gov

I can post a :shortbus: icon to, see? :shortbus:

The document you just posted talks about bullying INSIDE SCHOOL LIMITS!

A school is responsible for addressing harassment incidents about which it knows or reasonably should have known.9 In some situations, harassment may be in plain sight, widespread, or well-known to students and staff, such as harassment occurring in hallways, during academic or physical education classes, during extracurricular activities, at recess, on a school bus, or through graffiti in public areas. In these cases, the obvious signs of the harassment are sufficient to put the school on notice. In other situations, the school may become aware of misconduct, triggering an investigation that could lead to the discovery of additional incidents that, taken together, may constitute a hostile environment. In all cases, schools should have well-publicized policies prohibiting harassment and procedures for reporting and resolving complaints that will alert the school to incidents of harassment.10

Everydamnthing listed is WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE SCHOOL AND THE BOARD OF EDUCATION!

So, adding a :shortbus: does nothing. I know you're butthurt that Glenn Beck and The Daily Caller were either mis-informed or lied to you.

DipStick

Are you really that obtuse? (I think we already know the answer to this)

The student being harassed goes to a guidance counselor. Guidance counselor recommends steps be taken to protect said student. Or the student reports harassing activity to the Principal.

By the way, law enforcement already monitors facebook.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

In this instance, "reasonably known" would be interpreted as something like:
  • kid tells teacher he/she is being bullied
  • teacher reports it to Guidance and/or Administration
  • Guidance and/or Administration interviews student and conducts investigation of incident. During course of investigation, student reports that it is happening on Facebook/My Space
  • Guidance/Administration immediately notifies parents and may notify law enforcement if the reported comments fall into areas that may be actionable.
Teachers and administrators do not surf Facebook and My Space. There are too many other things that need to be done during the day. Most school systems have blocking software that blocks social media sites (such as Myspace and Facebook). In my district, an Administrator or Teacher couldn't get to either of those sites on a school computer if they tried.

For your reading pleasure, HERE is a copy of the Maryland State Department of Education's model policy to address bullying.

Just trying to clarify some facts for this thread.

DipStick

In this instance, "reasonably known" would be interpreted as something like:
  • kid tells teacher he/she is being bullied
  • teacher reports it to Guidance and/or Administration
  • Guidance and/or Administration interviews student and conducts investigation of incident. During course of investigation, student reports that it is happening on Facebook/My Space
  • Guidance/Administration immediately notifies parents and may notify law enforcement if the reported comments fall into areas that may be actionable.
Teachers and administrators do not surf Facebook and My Space. There are too many other things that need to be done during the day. Most school systems have blocking software that blocks social media sites (such as Myspace and Facebook). In my district, an Administrator or Teacher couldn't get to either of those sites on a school computer if they tried.

For your reading pleasure, HERE is a copy of the Maryland State Department of Education's model policy to address bullying.

Just trying to clarify some facts for this thread.

Don't confuse EmptyTimCup with facts.