Roku and Streaming Devices

SamSpade

Does anyone use these? We often get Netflix through our game system, but I've been looking at alternatives.

I can get Amazon Instant through a streaming device such as a Roku but I've never talked with anyone who has tried it.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I know GWGuy and aps have discussed these. If they don't see this, you could PM them.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It seems all those devices have limitations due to licensing agreements/arrangements.
I think your best bet is a laptop with a HDMI output you can hook up to your TV.
There are also some small desktops with heavy duty video cards made just to stream to your TV

Gottta go with APS on this. He has a Roku, I had a WDTV Live Plus. Because they are built in hardware and firmware, they can't do the same job as a PC. They either have license, software or network limitations. They are GREAT for playing local stored media, but not so great for streaming.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
We bought a roku last year just for MLB. My husband likes to watch all the Braves games. We never tried it for anything else but it did have the options for netflix, hulu and a bunch of other things. It worked fine. Every once in a while it would freeze but I dont know if that was the roku player or our internet service.

We only stopped using it because we got a blu-ray player this year and we use that for netflix and baseball.

E

EmptyTimCup

I think your best bet is a laptop with a HDMI output you can hook up to your TV.

my mac book pro with a DVI / display port adapter does nicely with my wide screen tv

VLC plays most anything I need ... and netfliks streaming through the browser covers web based items

I supposed HULU would work as well .....

BigSlam123b

Only happy When It Rains
I love my Roku box. I use Hulu+ and Amazon On Demand alot. I also have a channel called RoksBox which allows me to access my media and stream it from my PC. Definitely pondering dropping my cable subscription.

anandhad

Roku provides the number of free channels from the time of installation through the installation charge is comparatively low to other streaming devices. These channels can be downloaded and installed by using Roku com link enter code and these channels can be easily activated by Roku com link activation code.