Do You Think You Can Get Out In Time?

royhobie

hobieflyer
In Japan, they thought the 12 mile evac radius was okay. Our government told our citizens 50 mile radius was more realistic. Our government turned out to be more accurate. They were not accurate when they said radiation would not reach the West Coast. It has.

Therefore, if CCNPP ever had a problem and St. Mary's County had to evacuate within the FIFTY mile evac zone, do you think you can get out in time? Before you answer, remember, people from the southern half of Calvert Co. will be coming across the Thomas Johnson bridge. The middle part will cross the Benedict bridge and go north. The northern part will only go north. At least this is what they think will happen.

Since there has been no real evacuation, they don't know for sure. During a smaller scale, REAL evacuation that took place during Sept. 11th, 2001 at the Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, MD, this evacuation was deemed to have failed by all of the so called experts that were involved.

Now, couple all of the above with the planned massive build up along Route 235 in the Lexington Park to California, MD area ( and yes, it is planned for the long term), and then you would have what in the D.C. area is called... "gridlock". I mentioned at one of the several meetings I attended that they have NO infrastructure to support the build up they plan to have over the years. THEY DON'T CARE. They really don't. I was totally ignored!

Those most effected are people in the St. Inigoes area, St. Mary's City area, to include all of St. Mary's College of Maryland, Ridge, Point Lookout, Point Lookout State Park and don't forget the County schools in the southern region.

This is more of a general problem our region has which is not properly addressed by a wide range of people, let alone the politicians. And when you ask the polticians, they either shrug their shoulders, or agree, but over the years do nothing to address the problem. Now, the roads we DO HAVE are crumbling under the traffic that continues to increase. Our infrastructure continues to go down hill. I realize in the southern half of St. Mary's County, the shoulders were paved to be used during an evacuation. This does no good at all. Here is why - You have bottlenecks all over the place caused by narrowed lanes, traffic light problems and accidents during an evac. Also, the bridges are without enough lanes. So, the extra paved would only increase the amount of traffic "sitting" on a road under what could potentially be dire circumstances.

The best plan, like many in Japan did is to leave early. They did not listen to stories downplaying the problem by their govenment. They got out when they could. Remember the evacuation zone in our phone books? Based on what we now know, the zone in the phone book is wishful thinking with no thought of any accuracy. The Enterprise newspaper recently had a similar concern in one of their articles.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Therefore, if CCNPP ever had a problem and St. Mary's County had to evacuate within the FIFTY mile evac zone, do you think you can get out in time? Before you answer, remember, people from the southern half of Calvert Co. will be coming across the Thomas Johnson bridge. The middle part will cross the Benedict bridge and go north. The northern part will only go north. At least this is what they think will happen.

:nono: Don't come crawling over here to Calvert County, there's no more room and Route 4 will be a total gridlocked parking lot. :jameo:

Nope. No way out. We're all going to die. :cds:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Smart move for those south countians would be to invest in boats and "goeth by sea".

I'm there already.

:howdy:

I do thinks anyone who is irrationally paranoid about the Calvert plant should leave the area though..it can't hurt.

:whistle:

Clem_Shady

With all the radon we have here in Leonard's Grant, we'll be immune to any further radiation poisoning at our current absorption rate.

And the dummies that bought the granite counter tops in their already radon filled homes will be excellent candidates to go in and shut the reactor down.

:popcorn:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I'm there already.

:howdy:

I do thinks anyone who is irrationally paranoid about the Calvert plant should leave the area though..it can't hurt.

:whistle:
I'm planning to hi-jack Baja's boat.

DANG! Did I just type that out loud? There goes that plan.

County_Boy

With all the radon we have here in Leonard's Grant, we'll be immune to any further radiation poisoning at our current absorption rate.

And the dummies that bought the granite counter tops in their already radon filled homes will be excellent candidates to go in and shut the reactor down.

You will be LONG GONE before that Reactor has problems !

Wenchy

Hot Flash
If this ever happened I would want a friend/family member with a plane small enough to fly out of St. Mary's but large enough for a dozen or so people.

Pipe dreams. :cool:

Maybe the base will fly us all out. :lol:

Clem_Shady

All joking aside, you'd probably be safer and smarter to seal your windows and doors off with plastic, pop an iodine pill, and go to your basement with all the water, can goods, and other non perishable foods you have, and stay there until told otherwise.

All joking aside, you'd probably be safer and smarter to seal your windows and doors off with plastic, pop an iodine pill, and go to your basement with all the water, can goods, and other non perishable foods you have, and stay there until told otherwise.

I agree., exept for the told otherwise part In that situation I would make my own decisions. Not that I don't trust the "authorities" mind you.Winds are generally blowing the other way anyway. In any case it is not even in the top ten of my list of possible bad things that could happen.

Clem_Shady

I agree., exept for the told otherwise part In that situation I would make my own decisions. Not that I don't trust the "authorities" mind you.Winds are generally blowing the other way anyway. In any case it is not even in the top ten of my list of possible bad things that could happen.

And offer to babysit all your evacuating neighbors dogs.

Might as well have fresh meat for the first month or so.

:snacks:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
CCNP

Earthquake-engineered to take a 6.5. Maximum predicted here, 4.5.
Hurricane-withstand a Cat 5+.
50 mile radius is concern for agriculture and outside animals (cows, pigs).
Attack from land-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on-site.
Attack from water-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on site.

NRC: Domestic Safeguards

NRC: Nuclear Security and Safeguards

Clem_Shady

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
CCNP

Earthquake-engineered to take a 6.5. Maximum predicted here, 4.5.
Hurricane-withstand a Cat 5+.
50 mile radius is concern for agriculture and outside animals (cows, pigs).
Attack from land-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on-site.
Attack from water-internal security plus various local agencies, multi-layered defense on site.

NRC: Domestic Safeguards

NRC: Nuclear Security and Safeguards

:yay:

So all you Chicken Littles :jameo: can rest easily now!