Dunkirk, MD (calvert county), is this a good area?

steppinthrax

I first was thinking about White Plains and La Plata, MD. But after spending some time there and doing my research, I came to find the schools are pretty poor. There are only like 1 or 2 good elem schools in that region.

Now My wife and I visited Dunkirk, MD over the weekend. They have great schools (4/5, 5/5) and one at least is a blue ribbon school. Real estate is a tad bit more expensive, but you have to make that sacrifice. The area seems real peaceful. The only neg is that a lot of the properties are in close proximity to route 4, which seems to be a high speed motorway.

Anybody have any information about this area?

Toxick

Splat
I first was thinking about White Plains and La Plata, MD. But after spending some time there and doing my research, I came to find the schools are pretty poor. There are only like 1 or 2 good elem schools in that region.

I've always thought that Dunkirk was one of the nicest areas in Calvert. It's peaceful and pretty. I'm not sure about crime rates or other stats of that area, but it's a good place to be.

jsouthan

Now My wife and I visited Dunkirk, MD over the weekend. They have great schools (4/5, 5/5) and one at least is a blue ribbon school. Real estate is a tad bit more expensive, but you have to make that sacrifice. The area seems real peaceful. The only neg is that a lot of the properties are in close proximity to route 4, which seems to be a high speed motorway.

I love this area! We live about 3 miles south of Dunkirk, in Owings. The schools are great (any of them in this area) and crime is very low. As for route 4, I would make sure that wherever you purchase has good access onto it. It is a must that you travel this road, but if you can ensure that where you are entering it has a safe access, then you mitigate a lot of the issues with it. We live where we can either take a right-hand turn on rt. 4 to go north or take a very small side road around to a red light for a safe left-hand turn to go on rt. 4 south.

Good luck on your house hunt. I know there are several houses for sale in our neighborhood (Arbor Greene/Victoria Station -- these are actually 2 separate neighborhoods that are connected).

laynpipe

dunkirk is a great place to live. just dont move to mechanicsville, near baja28. the smell will overtake you like it has so many others. :buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Depends.

Where are you coming from?

In some instances, the worst schools in our area maybe better than the best schools in the area you are coming from.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Depends.

Where are you coming from?

In some instances, the worst schools in our area maybe better than the best schools in the area you are coming from.

And vice versa.

Dunkirk depends on your price range, although the assessments have dropped this year, it's still one of the more expensive non-waterfront in Calvert.

Most, if not all, the schools in Calvert at all levels are considered among the best in MD.

Where you would want to live may depend on your tolerance for commuting and where you have to go.

steppinthrax

The houses I'm looking at are situated around Mt. Harmony elem, Northpoint middle and Northpoint High. These are all either 4 or 5 star schools. My wife and I drove around the school area, one is a blue ribbon. The school my dauther is going to right now is baltimore county and is a 3/5.

Rael

Supper's Ready

Dunkirk is an awesome commute if you're going to work in D.C. I don't have a HS or younger school-aged child, but have heard nothing less than great things about the schools in Calvert County.

Mostly quiet and peaceful, my wife and I love it here.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I've always thought that Dunkirk was one of the nicest areas in Calvert. It's peaceful and pretty. I'm not sure about crime rates or other stats of that area, but it's a good place to be.

I agree, Dunkirk is a really nice area. When house shopping 3.5 years ago, we looked at a few houses up there. We wound up moving 10 minutes south of there but live close enough to know that crime in Dunkirk is low and that the schools are great. Most of Calvert is pretty nice.