Old Railroad Track

granny45

Does anyone know when the trail on the old railroad tracks between Laurel Grove Park and Route 5 will be open? I see people using it now but am not sure it is officially open for use.

Does anyone know when the trail on the old railroad tracks between Laurel Grove Park and Route 5 will be open? I see people using it now but am not sure it is officially open for use.

I would go ahead and use it. I seriously doubt anyone will care.

Who cares!!! Just another waste of SMC tax money. They built the trail in the California/Lexington Park area; 100 feet from the sidewalks on 235! So, do you think the bicyclist use the trail to travel up and down the road? No, they still use 235. And, the trail runs through the many business parking lots.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Who cares!!! Just another waste of SMC tax money. They built the trail in the California/Lexington Park area; 100 feet from the sidewalks on 235! So, do you think the bicyclist use the trail to travel up and down the road? No, they still use 235. And, the trail runs through the many business parking lots.

:lol: They didn't build a trail, they removed the rail road tracks

officeguy

These 'rails to trails' gigs are mostly federal money. They are considered 'muti-use trails', write a good looking grant proposal and the federal moolah starts to come upon you. Explains some of the folly including the 'California to LP parking lot connector trail'.

OldHillcrestGuy

Who cares!!! Just another waste of SMC tax money.

Disagree, the trail is one of the best things this county has done in a long time. They have made a very nice place in the northern end for residents to go to for walking, jogging and bike riding. Get people out and exercising instead of sitting around getting obese. Many people were out on the trail last weekend, it is being put to good use.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

There are dedicated bike lanes on 235 also.

BernieP

Resident PIA
These 'rails to trails' gigs are mostly federal money. They are considered 'muti-use trails', write a good looking grant proposal and the federal moolah starts to come upon you. Explains some of the folly including the 'California to LP parking lot connector trail'.

I wouldn't head to far south on "the trail". Friends took their kids for a ride and became unwelcome company for the drug dealers.

Oh, it's a great idea if you live close enough that you don't have to drive to access it. Kind of counterproductive if you have to find parking for a vehicle so you can walk.

woogie

BernieP;
Hopefully the police were notified and the "encounter"
wasn't too dangerous. Not really surprised, though.
This is usually what happens to these "trails" as they
give criminals fast escape routes and good concealment.

Was this in the evening maybe? Exactly what part is
the worst right now? I belong to a group that has been
discussing a walk down the new parts.

People should travel in groups when out on these trails
for protection.

This is a shame, but with the laws in MD giving criminals
more "rights" than a law-abiding citizen, then this is the
outcome. I wonder if the illegal dumpers have come back
now that the trail is much easier to navigate? I walked it
a few years back when it was still just the railbed and we
saw MANY illegal dumps with old appliances, furniture, etc.

Is the police patrolling it at all?

Might be good for business.

recandparks

Three Notch Trail

The Three Notch Trail from Baggett Park in Laurel Grove to MD Route 5 in Mechanicsville will open later this spring. The County is waiting for the contractor to remobilize after the winter weather. While some people are using this section of trail now, it's not officially open until the top coat of asphalt is down, all the storm water management is done, and the proper safety signage and trail markings are installed. The section from MD Route 236 up to Deborah Drive in Charlotte Hall is open for use. If anyone has further questions on the trail, please feel free to contact Recreation and Parks at 301-475-4200 ext. 1811 or visit the County website at St. Mary's County Government

QUOTE=granny45;4543922]Does anyone know when the trail on the old railroad tracks between Laurel Grove Park and Route 5 will be open? I see people using it now but am not sure it is officially open for use.[/QUOTE]

granny45

The Three Notch Trail from Baggett Park in Laurel Grove to MD Route 5 in Mechanicsville will open later this spring. The County is waiting for the contractor to remobilize after the winter weather. While some people are using this section of trail now, it's not officially open until the top coat of asphalt is down, all the storm water management is done, and the proper safety signage and trail markings are installed. The section from MD Route 236 up to Deborah Drive in Charlotte Hall is open for use. If anyone has further questions on the trail, please feel free to contact Recreation and Parks at 301-475-4200 ext. 1811 or visit the County website at St. Mary's County Government

QUOTE=granny45;4543922]Does anyone know when the trail on the old railroad tracks between Laurel Grove Park and Route 5 will be open? I see people using it now but am not sure it is officially open for use.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. So it is okay to use it now even though it isn't officially open? Won't get in trouble for using it now, right? I want to walk it this spring/summer. Thanks.