Bogus Phone Call

LadyCoyote

I'm on the "do not call" list for telemktg, so I get very few calls. However, for the past several weeks, I've been getting a recorded call that is urging me to phone an 800 number regarding something about "student records". I usually hang up, but curiosity got me today. So, I called the 800 number back that the message mentioned, and the very first thing the person who answers the phone asks for is my home # and social security #.

Yeah....Right.
(like a dropped off the turnip truck yesterday??)

Anyway, I tell the person, "no way" am I giving that out and what is the call about and she said it had to do with a student loan. Mind you, I've never taken out a student loan, and I graduated a LONG while back anyway. So, I'm sure this is bogus.

Anyway, the company has a website, WWW.DL.ED.GOV redirect page and the 1800 number that I called back was 1-800-848-0981. Anyway, I don't know what they're looking for but they aren't gonna get it from ol' me. And people should always be vigilant about providing any type of personal info (especially ss#) red flag, red flag.

FED_UP

I'm on the "do not call" list for telemktg, so I get very few calls. However, for the past several weeks, I've been getting a recorded call that is urging me to phone an 800 number regarding something about "student records". I usually hang up, but curiosity got me today. So, I called the 800 number back that the message mentioned, and the very first thing the person who answers the phone asks for is my home # and social security #.

Yeah....Right.
(like a dropped off the turnip truck yesterday??)

Anyway, I tell the person, "no way" am I giving that out and what is the call about and she said it had to do with a student loan. Mind you, I've never taken out a student loan, and I graduated a LONG while back anyway. So, I'm sure this is bogus.

Anyway, the company has a website, WWW.DL.ED.GOV redirect page and the 1800 number that I called back was 1-800-848-0981. Anyway, I don't know what they're looking for but they aren't gonna get it from ol' me. And people should always be vigilant about providing any type of personal info (especially ss#) red flag, red flag.

Asked for SSN right up front, what a dumb criminal. But then again I am sure they get some suckers, especially if it was some young person that had students loans, I would think most Americans are smarter than that there days.

Clem_Shady

It's a pain, but do your duty and fill out a complaint on the "Do Not Call List" online, web complaint page.

The only way the Government goes after them is if a lot of people complain.

I love my new phones, they have the ability to block phone numbers.

:yahoo:

mitzi

It's a pain, but do your duty and fill out a complaint on the "Do Not Call List" online, web complaint page.

The only way the Government goes after them is if a lot of people complain.

I love my new phones, they have the ability to block phone numbers.

:yahoo:

A land line Verizon phone line will block numbers too. You don't need a phone with those features.

bcp

In My Opinion
Asked for SSN right up front, what a dumb criminal. But then again I am sure they get some suckers, especially if it was some young person that had students loans, I would think most Americans are smarter than that there days.

check your credit rating as soon as you can.
I had a similar call like that some years ago, I also never had a student loan, but, I discovered long after the fact that I had a mark on my credit for defaulting on a loan that I never took out. It was taken care of, but it was a pain in the backside doing it, and it cost a good deal of money to have it cleared up.

sm8

The link you gave appears to be an official government website so I agree with post #7 to check your credit.

pelers

Yeah, that link is legit =/ For those of us who do have student loans it has the balances and contact information for whichever bank owns our loans this week (they keep selling them off to one another, making me crazy!)

But yeah, they certainly have a fascinating customer service technique. Saving money, I'm sure :rolleyes: I generally just deal with the banks directly for my loans. Much fuzzier customer service than them going straight for the SSN before you can get two words out!

Checking your credit report is probably a good idea.