Driving/Parking/Riding Metro

Ohiogirl

Driving from Southern Calvert county to get to a Blue or Orange metro station, which metro parking station should we use? We are planning on going to the Cherry Blossom Festival and Smithsonian (if that matters).

The metro website isn't easy to navigate.

TIA!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Driving from Southern Calvert county to get to a Blue or Orange metro station, which metro parking station should we use? We are planning on going to the Cherry Blossom Festival and Smithsonian (if that matters).

TIA!

Branch Avenue.

asaberan

Good luck, we tried this two years ago and the line to get INTO the underground Metro station to come back home was down the street like a whole block. Last year, we attempted to drive; that was even worse.

My advice is to take Branch Ave (as posted above) and then walk to another Metro station other than Smithsonian or National Mall to come back. We walked about a mile to the next closest station and found a lot less crowding. Also, make sure to walk to a station that's before the crowded stations, otherwise you won't be able to get on anyway.

Here's more information:
Metro - About Metro - News - Metro prepares for Cherry Blossom Festival activities

newgirl

Last year I parked at Branch Avenue. Take the green from Branch Avenue to L'Enfant Plaza station then exit the Maryland Avenue exit. You'll come up a block from the Air and Space Museum and will bypass the blue line busyness...

(Maryland Avenue exit from the green line from Branch Ave direction just walk the direction the train is going to the (almost) end of the platform then up the escalator...)

It is definitely worth it to go see the blossoms!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Last year I parked at Branch Avenue. Take the green from Branch Avenue to L'Enfant Plaza station then exit the Maryland Avenue exit. You'll come up a block from the Air and Space Museum and will bypass the blue line busyness...

(Maryland Avenue exit from the green line from Branch Ave direction just walk the direction the train is going to the (almost) end of the platform then up the escalator...)

It is definitely worth it to go see the blossoms!

This is exactly the way I would go! :yay:

Once you visit DC a few times, you might even brave the drive in yourself. :jet: Going up Rt. 4, it's a straight shot into the city and right on up to Capitol Hill. :yay: You can always find your way around the city from that point, because the city was designed that way.

I didn't go much last year, as the Things are older and have more to do now. :ohwell: But typically on Sunday mornings (early) it's really not crowded to drive in at ALL, and you can park for free in the employee parking lot on the US Capitol grounds. From there you can easily walk to the (US Capitol, of course!) the US Supreme Court,The Botanic Garden, the museums or the Mall, etc.

Map of the Capitol Hill
Have a great time!

itsbob

I bowl overhand

TIA!

What day of the week?

bcp

In My Opinion
Make a fun day of it.
Drive up to Carter Rock with the bikes. Then ride the bike path back to DC, check out the blossoms for the day, ride back to Carter Rock.
Most the time there is plenty of parking there.

BernieP

Resident PIA
This is exactly the way I would go! :yay:

Once you visit DC a few times, you might even brave the drive in yourself. :jet: Going up Rt. 4, it's a straight shot into the city and right on up to Capitol Hill. :yay: You can always find your way around the city from that point, because the city was designed that way.

I didn't go much last year, as the Things are older and have more to do now. :ohwell: But typically on Sunday mornings (early) it's really not crowded to drive in at ALL, and you can park for free in the employee parking lot on the US Capitol grounds. From there you can easily walk to the (US Capitol, of course!) the US Supreme Court,The Botanic Garden, the museums or the Mall, etc.

Map of the Capitol Hill
Have a great time!

I was gong to comment on the "parking" issues if you drive in but you answered that by mentioning early Sunday AM. Probably similiar if you hit it early Saturday AM as well. Weekday - forget it. Unless you get into town around 5 AM. Week day commuters into DC arrive early - because of traffic / parking conditions.

How's the parking at Branch Ave these days. Again, weekdays it was tough to get a spot. But I know they were working on more parking lots. Also, if you go on a weekday, you will need to buy a smart fare card - the platic ones. I forget what the initial fee is, but they can be reloaded. But to exit the lots on a weekday (no pay on weekends) you will need the car.

Hope you have good weather.

Metro and Cherry Blossums

TIA!

I would take green line from Branch Ave to E'nfant Plaza, get on the Orange or Blue to Virginia and get off at Federal Triangle. That will put you right next to Washington Monument when you get off