America’s Superiority Complex

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
America's Superiority Complex - NYTimes.com

"Aaron Carroll has a very good takedown of an op-ed article by Senator Ron Johnson, who basically exploits his infant daughter’s medical experience to make an incoherent attack on the Affordable Care Act. His daughter received excellent treatment, and he asserts that she wouldn’t have received that kind of treatment under universal health insurance, because …. well, he doesn’t explain.

Along the way he commits some of the classic howlers, like the one about how you can see how bad single-payer insurance is by the fact that Americans don’t have to wait as long as Canadians for hip replacements, which in Canada are paid for by the government, while in America they’re mainly paid for by … Medicare.

But what struck me about the whole piece was the assumption that modern medicine in general is something only we lucky free-market Americans have, while in Europe they’re still using leeches or something. In other words, it’s part of the superiority complex you often encounter in U.S. politics; people just know that we’re the best, and won’t believe you when you tell them that actually they have the Internet, cell phones, and antibiotics in Europe too.

And I found myself thinking about this, from Richard Florida.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What a total crock of poo. How does this 'author' explain why so many people from those 'other' countries rush here for the seriously important and time-critical care??

I've lived in Norway for many years..Norway, the 'poster child' for universal free health care. I've had children born there..I've been treated there..my friends have been treated there.

Neither nonnoboy, nor the author of that garbage he linked to, have the first clue what they speak of. Talking points..nothing more.

theHypocrite

taking chances
What a total crock of poo. How does this 'author' explain why so many people from those 'other' countries rush here for the seriously important and time-critical care??

I've lived in Norway for many years..Norway, the 'poster child' for universal free health care. I've had children born there..I've been treated there..my friends have been treated there.

Neither nonnoboy, nor the author of that garbage he linked to, have the first clue what they speak of. Talking points..nothing more.

please show some kinda data that there is some huge number of people are rushing to America for care

most of those highlighted are the exception and not the rule

also the majority of those coming are getting "elective" surgery and care

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
please show some kinda data that there is some huge number of people are rushing to America for care

No..and you are wrong. instead you tell me how many days, weeks or months you've actually lived under one of those other systems and thus accumulated the very direct experiences that I have. I'm tired of your "I never left my mom's basement but I pretend to know a lot about the rest of the world" crap. 'kay?

Mongo53

Some Canadian mothers forced to give birth in U.S. | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | News
Critically ill patients rushed to U.S. for care - The Globe and Mail
FOXNews.com - Health Care, Canadian Style - Opinion
CBC News In Depth: Health care
Canadian Premier Comes to U.S. For Health Care
» Canadian Premier Comes to U.S. For Health Care - Big Government