where to buy cedar mulch

highnote

I need to find a place to buy cedar mulch. Bags or truckload. Lowes sells a "cedar blend", but not 100% cedar mulch. Theirs is probably 5% cedar and 95% crap I don't want.

ONE

Not too sure what kind of selection nor their percenages of stuff used in the mulch they have but have you tried The Greenery in Hollywood? Maybe try calling them before going just to check. :shrug:
greenery has cedar mulch in bags. -- black forest cedar.

highnote

thanks! Any idea of price? (if not, I can call tomorrow).

Also, anywhere I can buy it by the truckload/scoop?

ONE

thanks! Any idea of price? (if not, I can call tomorrow).

Also, anywhere I can buy it by the truckload/scoop?

$4.50 or so a bag. There were also piles of mulch in the back. don't know how much or what kind though.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Red Cedar Mulch @ Forrest Tech Center.
(301)475-0242
Help out a local school!
They even deliver within 20 miles!

TPD

the poor dad
Ridge Hardware - red or black cedar mulch - 3cuft bags - $5.25/bag for 10 or more bags. Ask about pallet pricing.

highnote

great! thanks for the ideas! I stopped at the greenery today and their black cedar mulch was around $8/bag, red cedar mulch was around $7/bag. WHEW!!!! Way too high for me (especially when I need a lot). I will check the forrest tech center tomorrow to compare prices with ridge hardware.

Any other options out there? I really would like to find a place I could buy it by the truckload...

greenery offered a couple of kinds of mulch by the truckload but not cedar (I think they offered pine and hardwood).

Loper

Animal Poor!
great! thanks for the ideas! I stopped at the greenery today and their black cedar mulch was around $8/bag, red cedar mulch was around $7/bag. WHEW!!!! Way too high for me (especially when I need a lot). I will check the forrest tech center tomorrow to compare prices with ridge hardware.

Any other options out there? I really would like to find a place I could buy it by the truckload...

greenery offered a couple of kinds of mulch by the truckload but not cedar (I think they offered pine and hardwood).

I just filled out an application for reg mulch from the tech center.. 25 or more bags for delivery at 3.95 a bag.. I'm pretty sure it said the cedar was pick up only but depending on how many bags could get you a delivery. :shrug: I had to turn in my order last week for the tech center. I did see a big truck on St. Andrews (rt 4) with bulk mulch and a number listed. I'm not sure what type it was.

highnote

so is the tech center still taking orders? I saw a sign up there today... but loper you had to turn in your order a week ago? I hope if I call tomorrow I won't be too late. Is the cedar 3.95 too or is that just the regular mulch?

Loper

Animal Poor!
so is the tech center still taking orders? I saw a sign up there today... but loper you had to turn in your order a week ago? I hope if I call tomorrow I won't be too late. Is the cedar 3.95 too or is that just the regular mulch?

I think both reg and cedar were 3.95 a bag but the lbs per bag were different. I can't remember what the difference was. I know it said 25 bags or more could be delivered for reg, but that the cedar was pick up only... my neighbor is who I ordered from, we razz the kid all the time, and made sure we checked off the student would deliver and stack for us. LOL I'm guessing they would order extra for possible in case ??? I had to turn my form in on the 22nd... :shrug: It would be worth a call tomorrow to see. It is too late for me to go ask my neighbor tonight.

highnote

ridge hardware was 3.50 a bag for more than 10 bags of red cedar. black cedar was 4.75/bag for more than 10. No additional discount for pallet. All bags 2 cu ft.

tech center was 2cu bags red cedar for 3.95. Orders due by tomorrow. Delivery could be arranged if bought a higher quantity.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Last edited:

highnote

Joe- so how can you tell if it is true cedar? I always look at the "ingredients". I can't say verbatim, but I think the stuff at wal mart said "cedar forest products".

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Joe- I didnt see anything about cedar mulch on the link you sent.

Not sure where I got my information. Must have been out of a gardening mag. or the Bay Weekly. The gardening guy in the BW did not recommend mulching period, though.

Bottomline, if they had to add color to it, it is probably crap. The link I sent had this line in it:

This mulch stands out like a sore thumb, and may contain hazardous elements.

Is Dyed Mulch Safe to Use?

The source of most dyed mulch is recycled wood. So far, so good. But the problem is that some of that recycled wood may be CCA-treated wood, which, used as a mulch, can raise the arsenic level in your soil. Although the use of arsenic in making pressure-treated lumber was largely banned after 2002, who's to say part of the source of the dyed mulch you're buying isn't old, leftover CCA-treated wood?

Dyed Mulch Safety | Colored Red Dyed Mulch | Safe

ONE