ceiling fans

scotty62

I have 3 teenage boys and they are always complaining that their room is so hot and that they are hot. Rooms are fine. We cannot put the AC on in March or April for that matter.

Do you think that ceiling fans would help? That way each kid can turn theirs on and feel the breeze without having to run the air. I think its a good idea. There are already ceiling lights, we would just have to get the kit.

Whats your opinion?

I have 3 teenage boys and they are always complaining that their room is so hot and that they are hot. Rooms are fine. We cannot put the AC on in March or April for that matter.

Do you think that ceiling fans would help? That way each kid can turn theirs on and feel the breeze without having to run the air. I think its a good idea. There are already ceiling lights, we would just have to get the kit.

Whats your opinion?

I am a big fan of ceilings. Rafters are so unsightly.

Oh, just read it. :lol:

Yes they help a lot.

willie

The box for the light is not sufficient weight bearing for a fan. It's a little work to attach a proper box but it's the best way to go. If you can run a separate hot wire to the fan that would keep your light on the wall switch and the fan is independent.

Here is a good fan for a kids room:

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 98

FED_UP

Whats your opinion?

Yep ceiling fans are great, get the right size for the room. Kids rooms are smaller, they tend to heat up quicker I think. Then you got to decide remote control or not. With light fixtures already there it should be a piece of cake. I hired someone to install mine, nice to have a little warranty if something goes wrong. Won't cost you much since wiring is already in place. Some people say some brands are quieter than others, IMO its just the luck of the fan.

Last edited:

FED_UP

I put ceiling fans in all our bedrooms. Keeps things cooler in summer, warmer in winter. We especially like the remote controlled fan in master bedroom. Makes it easier to adjust the fan speed without getting out of bed.

Lazy, you got to raise up about what 5 feet to pull the chain. That is why I got a remote too :killingme

FED_UP

The box for the light is not sufficient weight bearing for a fan. It's a little work to attach a proper box but it's the best way to go. If you can run a separate hot wire to the fan that would keep your light on the wall switch and the fan is independent.

Here is a good fan for a kids room:

Depending on what the box is already attached to right? No nex boxes were put in where my existing lights were. Fans holding up just fine.

Last edited:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
You may also want to consider energy saving oscillating fans for each room as a plan B. I do prefer ceiling fans though and they move heat and AC round the rooms nicely in winter/summer.

Last edited:
Depending on what the box is already attached to right? No nex boxes were put in where my existing lights were. Fans holding up just fine.

The box is probably attached to the rafter with nails. If the fan blades aren't well balanced, the vibration may work the nails out over time. I'd replace the nails with screws to be on the safe side.

king.gerard

I am a huge fan of ceiling fans. They give you enough independence to start and stop one n your own area without bothering others.