New-MVA question

buddscreekman

Hello all,I'm a new member been reading here for years though. I've got myself a bad situation and need some advice. I've already tried an attorney and the amount I'd pay them would negate this whole thing. Here goes.
Wife and I bought a new car in 09. Couldn't get it registered at the dealership so we went up to Glen Burnie to find out what the trouble was. Turns out we had an old insurance violation that was coming up. After waiting around for hours and getting sent upstairs to CCU,which is their collection agency,we are told we owe 59 and some change. We pay it,get our tags,and are on our way.
Fast forward two years,and it is time to renew. Wife goes to the Loveville MVA and calls me crying and upset. I get there to find out that when she went to renew the tags the MVA rejected it and printed her off a statement saying that CCU is claiming a "clerical error" and that after reviewing the case they closed and gave us a PAID IN FULL stamped receipt for that they found several months later that in fact we actually owe them almost 5,000.00. I talked to Herb at Loveville and CCU,and it sounds like we are screwed. But what I can't get over is that we have a case number on the receipt saying paid in full,and they can just bring the debt back and not even tell us? No notice,nothing,and we are being charged interest! Renewal is due by tomorrow. We've been told by an attorney to just make a payment arrangement as the fee for them will quickly add up too,and then we will just owe out the a$$ to everyone. I'm frustrated as hell. And apparently my receipt means nothing. Anyone ever had to deal with this agency,CCU,and have any advice. I'm taking the day off work tomorrow and losing more money to go talk to them.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I would suggest calling your vehicle insurance company to see if there was ever a lapse in coverage. Take your documentation to the MVA office and hope for the best. Good luck!

buddscreekman

I would suggest calling your vehicle insurance company to see if there was ever a lapse in coverage. Take your documentation to the MVA office and hope for the best. Good luck!

Called the insurance company,and there was a lapse. No denying that. Problem is,this is a lapse from 2006,cleared completely in 2009,and now has come back in 2011. It has been accruing interest this whole time. Had we been told about it before,we could have dealt with it,but as it stands now,because of their mistake and not telling us promptly about it,we've built up 2 years worth of interest we shouldn't have and we also now have 2 days notice to pay up.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

:yay:... if there was a lapse ... well :cds:

..... where is Lovin' at.... she is good with this!!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Called the insurance company,and there was a lapse. No denying that. Problem is,this is a lapse from 2006,cleared completely in 2009,and now has come back in 2011. It has been accruing interest this whole time. Had we been told about it before,we could have dealt with it,but as it stands now,because of their mistake and not telling us promptly about it,we've built up 2 years worth of interest we shouldn't have and we also now have 2 days notice to pay up.

:huggy:
oh dear god... good luck... you will need it

bcp

In My Opinion
Hello all,I'm a new member been reading here for years though. I've got myself a bad situation and need some advice. I've already tried an attorney and the amount I'd pay them would negate this whole thing. Here goes.
Wife and I bought a new car in 09. Couldn't get it registered at the dealership so we went up to Glen Burnie to find out what the trouble was. Turns out we had an old insurance violation that was coming up. After waiting around for hours and getting sent upstairs to CCU,which is their collection agency,we are told we owe 59 and some change. We pay it,get our tags,and are on our way.
Fast forward two years,and it is time to renew. Wife goes to the Loveville MVA and calls me crying and upset. I get there to find out that when she went to renew the tags the MVA rejected it and printed her off a statement saying that CCU is claiming a "clerical error" and that after reviewing the case they closed and gave us a PAID IN FULL stamped receipt for that they found several months later that in fact we actually owe them almost 5,000.00. I talked to Herb at Loveville and CCU,and it sounds like we are screwed. But what I can't get over is that we have a case number on the receipt saying paid in full,and they can just bring the debt back and not even tell us? No notice,nothing,and we are being charged interest! Renewal is due by tomorrow. We've been told by an attorney to just make a payment arrangement as the fee for them will quickly add up too,and then we will just owe out the a$$ to everyone. I'm frustrated as hell. And apparently my receipt means nothing. Anyone ever had to deal with this agency,CCU,and have any advice. I'm taking the day off work tomorrow and losing more money to go talk to them.

Dont count on winning. At this point it might be cheaper to get an address in another state and register the car there.
Recently, the state claimed I owed them back taxes, I didnt. They refuse to listen to any reason or look at any documentation. I refused to pay, they refused to back down.
I now am consulting with a lawyer because the state started a levy against my pay to cover the taxes that I dont owe.

I would move if I were you. If I could move out of this hell hole today I would .

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
because of their mistake and not telling us promptly about it,we've built up 2 years worth of interest we shouldn't have and we also now have 2 days notice to pay up.
How much is the original charge and how much is the interest?

Seems you will be stuck with the charge, but perhaps you could settle with them to forgive the interest granted you pay that original charge straight out. :shrug:

lovinmaryland

Seems you will be stuck with the charge, but perhaps you could settle with them to forgive the interest granted you pay that original charge straight out. :shrug:

If you miss 1 day of insurance it is $150 for that one day through the next 30 days. After 30 days it is $5 per day.

To the OP the best advice I could give you would be to set up payment arrangements w/ MVA. If you really think they are in the wrong you can still continue to go through the process of hiring an attorney.

DO NOT MISS any of the scheduled payments you have w/ MVA. They will revoke your tags.

bcp

In My Opinion

My guess would be that it was a false charge in the first place. Its what happens when you hire people that cant speak english to work the DMV

gemma_rae

There's your answer. If they will forgive the interest, you don't owe anymore than you did back then. Don't forget, the government makes mistakes but you pay for them.

buddscreekman

What really got me was that we weren't nasty at all about it,my wife was in tears and I was just trying to figure out how this happened,and the woman at the mva tells us the reciept means absolutely nothing.

buddscreekman

If you miss 1 day of insurance it is $150 for that one day through the next 30 days. After 30 days it is $5 per day.

To the OP the best advice I could give you would be to set up payment arrangements w/ MVA. If you really think they are in the wrong you can still continue to go through the process of hiring an attorney.

DO NOT MISS any of the scheduled payments you have w/ MVA. They will revoke your tags.

Someone else said to ask you...and you stress not missing a payment - do you have experience with CCU?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
My guess would be that it was a false charge in the first place. Its what happens when you hire people that cant speak english to work the DMV
I would not doubt it... but, as in your case, they have you by the balls. You can't afford to not drive. What recourse do you have? :shrug:

Ok, so what was the orignial $59.00/+$5000.00 for? Failure to turn in your plates in 2006 after the insurance lapsed? Not real sure, but I do believe there may be an additional fee tacked on for every day you fail to turn in the tags after your insurance lapses and the MVA is notified. Remember, you kept the tags for 3 years. Clerical error? Maybe. But kinda hard to believe you would or should have only expected to pay $59.00! Take a look here:
MVA Fee Listing

Insurance Compliance Uninsured Penalty Fee

Minimum Fee
$150.00

First 1 through 30 days
$150.00

Each day after 30 days
$7.00

Maximum fee per year
$2,500.00

buddscreekman

Ok, so what was the orignial $59.00/+$5000.00 for? Failure to turn in your plates in 2006 after the insurance lapsed? Not real sure, but I do believe there may be an additional fee tacked on for every day you fail to turn in the tags after your insurance lapses and the MVA is notified. Remember, you kept the tags for 3 years. Clerical error? Maybe. But kinda hard to believe you would or should have only expected to pay $59.00! Take a look here:
MVA Fee Listing

Insurance Compliance Uninsured Penalty Fee

Minimum Fee
$150.00

First 1 through 30 days
$150.00

Each day after 30 days
$7.00

Maximum fee per year
$2,500.00

I didn't walk in there trying to deceive anyone. I paid what I was told to pay after providing my information. Which was 59.00. They gave me a case closed,paid in full receipt. What is so hard to understand? They f'ed up. Ok. So did I. Why is my mistake going to cost me,and theirs doesn't?

glhs837

Power with Control
Sorry, but what lovin said is the deal. I would rather owe money to the Mafia than the MVA, and yes, I speak from painful experience, from years back, in the 90s. Took me three years before I finally was able to enter an MVA with any assurance that I wasnt going to get shuffled back to the back, to prove yet gain that I had paid that first year. only thing that saved was one dedicated MVA clerk who tore stuff up and found a paper copy of theirs that matched my copy. But took three years for that to happen, and I refused to leave until I saw them enter it into the computer, not just signed off that particular transaction.

good luck.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I Feel Your Pain

Hello all,I'm a new member been reading here for years though. I've got myself a bad situation and need some advice. I've already tried an attorney and the amount I'd pay them would negate this whole thing. Here goes......QUOTE]

Last year I myself went through pretty much the same thing.
It was ultimately MY fault, because a payment I THOUGHT I made, never posted. So much for mailing a check.

Lo and behold, somewhere around six months later; give or take 4 weeks; I get stopped by a Trooper, ticketed; my tags confiscated and my car towed. I had to pay for towing, two days of storage fees, THEN go to A.A. County for a whole day to get the payment crap straight so I could make payments on what wound up to be a 4-figure fine. After all that, I had to pay to re-register my car.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Hello all,I'm a new member been reading here for years though. I've got myself a bad situation and need some advice. I've already tried an attorney and the amount I'd pay them would negate this whole thing. Here goes......QUOTE]

Last year I myself went through pretty much the same thing.
It was ultimately MY fault, because a payment I THOUGHT I made, never posted. So much for mailing a check.

Lo and behold, somewhere around six months later; give or take 4 weeks; I get stopped by a Trooper, ticketed; my tags confiscated and my car towed. I had to pay for towing, two days of storage fees, THEN go to A.A. County for a whole day to get the payment crap straight so I could make payments on what wound up to be a 4-figure fine. After all that, I had to pay to re-register my car.

:faint: