School Budget madness!!!

foodcritic

Teachers and Admin. are on a full court publicity press to push being disingenuous is to all new meanings. Besides being inundated at every turn teachers are crying about losing personnel. Here is some of the PORK salaries.

Lets hope the County Commish hold their ground and force the board to LIVE WITH IN THEIR MEANS!!!!!! No more futuristic skools (wildewood) solar arrays for the future.....blah blah blah.

There will be a total of 34 jobs eliminated from the central, information technology and supporting offices for a total savings in salaries of $2.2 million plus estimated savings from benefit costs of $400,000 to $800,000.

Position Reason Salary

Superintendent's office secretary reassigned $50,000

Director of college and career readiness reassigned $127,237

Director of human resources retirement $129,737

Supervisor of human resources retirement $100,853

Supervisor of master planning, etc. resignation $100,226

Supervisor of STEM not returning $100,000

Supervisor of Title I retirement $100,000

Supervisor of instruction reassigned $76,838

Administrative secretary reassigned $40,000

E-coach (2) frozen $150,000

System administrator/analyst retirement $99,000

Tech IV retirement $65,000

Science instructional resource teacher reassigned $65,000

Technical position was vacant/frozen $57,776

Safety assistants (2) was vacant/frozen $63,296

Maintenance (2) was vacant/frozen $80,708

34 school administration jobs to be cut

Tony_M

You think these salaries are excessive? Check the salaries for similar postions in Calvert or Charles then get back to me.

The loss to the system should not just be considered in terms of money. They were dedicated and experienced professionals who helped take this system to its recent successes.

Last edited:

Jannifer

Makes you wonder how all the baby boomers managed to get to be so smart. Classes of 32-35 in elementary school, no aides, etc. and discipline in the classroom. Of course we were afraid of reform school. Wonder if they even exist anymore????

foodcritic

You think these salaries are excessive? Check the salaries for similar postions in Calvert or Charles then get back to me.

The loss to the system should not just be considered in terms of money. They were dedicated and experienced professionals who helped take this system to its recent successes.

For real? What agency/business does NOT consider the financial obligation? In the REAL world when the money is not there jobs get cut. That may be sad but it is reality. I live in reality ville (thanks Rush) That is what happens in the PRIVATE sector and the public sector should be no different.

You want to make a sacred cow out of it so that nothing could ever change. Shame on you. These unions are trying to balance their budget on the backs of the taxpayers and ultimately the very children they are trying to educate. They will be stuck with the bill they can't pay. :whistle:

Tony_M

The school system has been considering the financial obligation for years. There have been cutbacks and hiring freezes for the last 4 years in the school system.

I was not making a sacred cow of this issue. I asked you to check the facts. After you do, get back to me.

What we all pay for education through our property taxes in Maryland. IMHO is the best deal around. My mother, who lives in PA plays in excess of 8000 dollars a year, JUST in school tax. Why?? Because in that state the Boards of Ed have the ability to tax the landowners to balance their budget.

If you think she lives in a mansion, it is a two bedroom cottage that is assessed at a little over 100,000, in the middle of a coal mining area.

Sacred cow in SMCPS.....not so much.

For real? What agency/business does NOT consider the financial obligation? In the REAL world when the money is not there jobs get cut. That may be sad but it is reality. I live in reality ville (thanks Rush) That is what happens in the PRIVATE sector and the public sector should be no different.

You want to make a sacred cow out of it so that nothing could ever change. Shame on you. These unions are trying to balance their budget on the backs of the taxpayers and ultimately the very children they are trying to educate. They will be stuck with the bill they can't pay. :whistle:

Tech

Makes you wonder how all the baby boomers managed to get to be so smart. Classes of 32-35 in elementary school, no aides, etc. and discipline in the classroom. Of course we were afraid of reform school. Wonder if they even exist anymore????

And high tech powerpoints were when the teacher used different color chalk.

foodcritic

The school system has been considering the financial obligation for years. There have been cutbacks and hiring freezes for the last 4 years in the school system.

I was not making a sacred cow of this issue. I asked you to check the facts. After you do, get back to me.

What we all pay for education through our property taxes in Maryland. IMHO is the best deal around. My mother, who lives in PA plays in excess of 8000 dollars a year, JUST in school tax. Why?? Because in that state the Boards of Ed have the ability to tax the landowners to balance their budget.

If you think she lives in a mansion, it is a two bedroom cottage that is assessed at a little over 100,000, in the middle of a coal mining area.

Sacred cow in SMCPS.....not so much.

Really? Only heard about in the last 2 years. Besides you did not address the basic fundamentals of money management. Since I lived in another state I am well aware of property tax assessments and that in most "towns", 85% of property taxes are needed for schools.

Like so many school districts across this country they are bloated full of "essential" people. Lets purchase every kid a lap top put it in the budget and make it essential......:killingme Well guess what no one/thing is that essential in the private sector.

They should have thought about this before the new "high tech" schools were built and solar panels installed. It is truly amazing the justification and rationalization that goes on when talking about tightening up budgets. The BOE would have us believe that every student will end up starving, malnourished and stupid. Some of which would happen regardless of the budget.

FYI just because your/my tax obligation may be lower relative to moms. Someone is still footing the bill. Maybe Bill from some other county....

ciwmj

Most of these positions do not seem as if they should ever have existed anyway.

The BOE is top heavy with questionable(B.S.) positions,and always has been. Too much of the budget goes to Admin and not enough to teachers. The problem is not local but forced on the BOE by the Feds .

laynpipe

there is no way education systems should be cut. need to balance the budget ? take it out on the state roads workers. everytime i see a crew of them on the road, there is one guy working and 5 others standing around watching. to take from our school system is way out of bounds.

why do people like gilligan not care? because they have their heathens in private school. the rest of the children in the county dont matter.....only his.

Last edited:

laynpipe

One would think that anyone like you who supports American unions so ardently would be able to automatically recognize a union job based on the 1 worker:4 observers ratio.

no bald boy. i support america and the american worker. it doesnt matter if they are teachers, police, fire, ems, construction, defense contractors, public employees or private. your thoughts seem to lay more along the communist lines.

Tony_M

Download the school system budget yourself it is on St. Mary's County Public Schools

You will see how long the fundbalance that the school system was saving, by hireing freezes, restrictions on travel, closing schools and offices over winter recess, and 4 day workweeks in the summer have been used to make up for the gap that existed for years in the budget.

While you are at it, look at the powerpoint from the last BOE meeting by the independent auditor that reviewed the county government books. The commissioners are sitting on an unreserved fundbalance of over 12 million from last FY and currently over 9 million for this FY. That is money that was over collected by us...the tax payers. Do you think we will get a refund check? I is too bad that information was buried in two paragraphs of another article in last friday's enterprise.

The percentage of money for 'administration' has been declining in SMCPS for at least 5 years. The school system is already the LOWEST funded school system of any in the state by the county government. It also was cited as one of the more efficiently run systems by a national study that was recently published. SMCPS staff have been doing MORE with LESS for YEARS.

Laptops, solar panels, green schools, good gosh, tell you what, let's

a. Teach students with wax tablets...as we can reuse them daily we just need to melt the wax by candle light at the end of the day.
b. Put a coal stove in every classroom for heat.

Let me close by saying, it was not Unions, School Boards, or Teachers that have gotten this country in the financial problems we are in today. We have corporate greed, and a lax federal government over the past 10 years that have created the mess we are in.

Really? Only heard about in the last 2 years. Besides you did not address the basic fundamentals of money management. Since I lived in another state I am well aware of property tax assessments and that in most "towns", 85% of property taxes are needed for schools.

Like so many school districts across this country they are bloated full of "essential" people. Lets purchase every kid a lap top put it in the budget and make it essential......:killingme Well guess what no one/thing is that essential in the private sector.

They should have thought about this before the new "high tech" schools were built and solar panels installed. It is truly amazing the justification and rationalization that goes on when talking about tightening up budgets. The BOE would have us believe that every student will end up starving, malnourished and stupid. Some of which would happen regardless of the budget.

FYI just because your/my tax obligation may be lower relative to moms. Someone is still footing the bill. Maybe Bill from some other county....

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Let me close by saying, it was not Unions, School Boards, or Teachers that have gotten this country in the financial problems we are in today. We have corporate greed, and a lax federal government over the past 10 years that have created the mess we are in.

Could you explain this theory?

Tony_M

Banks loaning money to anybody that could breath, and no oversight by the feds, on that industry.

Then a full court denial of the recession when the housing market bubble burst.