Good Spots to Take Pictures in St. Mary's?

Hi all,

With spring in the air, I'm in the mood to get my camera out more often. I haven't explored too much off the beaten path while going from home to work and back. I'd love to get my kids outdoors and get some scenic shots. Any suggestions? In particular, I'm looking for:

* fields that are overgrown (any public areas so I don't have to trespass?)
* wooden bridges over creeks
* creeks or streams
* best beach areas -- again, looking for places I can access publically
* bonus for anyone who can tell me where I can go to shoot in front of some awesome wrought iron gates (or the like)

Thanks in advance! :smile:

dan0623_2000

Garden Girl
May I suggest Calvert Cliffs State park over in Calvert county. There is a fantastic wooden bridge on the Orange trail near the beach end of it. Lots of stream shots on the Red Trail going to the beach. Near the beach is creek/lake area where on warm days you will see many turtles sitting on logs soaking up the sun.
The beach has an outlet stream running accross it and you have the cliffs on either side of the beach.
There are also a pair of nesting bald eagles that hang out near the wooden bridge on the Orange trail and numerous herons along the stream and fresh water bogs.
Now then as for the wrought iron gates I suggest either the entrance gates at Sotterley Plantation or the area of the old state house in St. Mary's City. Hope this helps you some

LadyCoyote

Another suggestion, go across the bridge and snap away around Solomon's Island. Walk along the shore - get some great shots of the seagulls, sail boats, the bridge, and the nifty clock in the parking lot area near the docks. Stroll toward the Tiki Bar - 'cross the street are some boats that are in "rehab" and are interesting.
Trees are in bloom, dogwood, cherry, etc. all around that area.
It's so fun to grab the camera and see where it takes you! Good luck and hope you get some great shots!

belvak

Happy Camper

Terrid76

Try Newtowne Neck in Compton or Myrtle Point in California. Both have some very nice water view but you're going to have to hike to some of them. Overgrown fields are also available.

panda4251

Join the SMC Camera Club

Join the St. Mary's County Camera Club and go on our field trips! We meet every Wednesday evening at 7:00 at the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center. Google our name and take a look at our web site and program.

slowlane

The old stone church in front of Charlotte Hall Veterans Home (beside the bikepath) is picturesque. Another outstanding scenic spot is Saint Ignatius Church and graveyard, on a hillside overlooking the Potomac River near Port Tobacco, Charles County. You can view both these churches on "google images."

On the front side of the Holiday Inn at Solomons, is a shallow stream or something, that harbors a colony of fiddler crabs. This unusual species have one claw that's very large while the other is small, like they're holding a fiddle and a bow.

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Point Lookout State Park,

Criitters, birds, Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River views.

JMHO

jlr328

Great pics...

I have been doing just this. I love Annemarie gardens in Solomans and also Point look out is great!

smilin

BOXER NATION
Sotterley, Elm's Beach or Myrtle Point during the week for great wildlife shots. Try out a zoom lens.
Greenwell Park early in the day you might shoot a couple of Sitka or white tailed deer, go to the kayak drop in, to the left.
St. Marys City might have some wrought iron gates or fences. Beautiful place in any case.
Have fun!