Screened topsoil in St. Mary's

I am looking to buy approx 60 cu. yds of SCREENED topsoil in St. Mary's. Anyone bought any large amounts lately and what was the average price per cu. yard, delivered? (Not looking for price of bagged dirt!). If you happened to pay by the ton, how many cu. yards per ton?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Earnshaws, it's about 1 mile on the left on Rt 5 off of 235. I went there a few week ago. $275 for a delivered dump truck load and it's not a small dump truck. Probably 6-8 cubic yards.

Earnshaw R L Mechanicsville, MD, 20659 - YP.com
You know, probably six or seven years ago I bought some gorgeous screened top soil from Earnshaw's. It was positively lovely dirt, if you know what I mean. Rich, dark, etc...

Anyway, I recently had other business dealings with another branch of Earnshaw's, and because they tried to rip me off so badly, I will NEVER do any future business with Earnshaw's, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone else.

So, in short, stay away from Earnshaw's. And by God, please stay the hell away from The Trading Post.....their dirt is costly, and is filled with all sorts of debris (broken glass, tree branches, broken cinderblocks, etc.)

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
You know, probably six or seven years ago I bought some gorgeous screened top soil from Earnshaw's. It was positively lovely dirt, if you know what I mean. Rich, dark, etc...

Anyway, I recently had other business dealings with another branch of Earnshaw's, and because they tried to rip me off so badly, I will NEVER do any future business with Earnshaw's, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone else.

So, in short, stay away from Earnshaw's. And by God, please stay the hell away from The Trading Post.....their dirt is costly, and is filled with all sorts of debris (broken glass, tree branches, broken cinderblocks, etc.)

What happened? I stopped by the one on Rt5 and they seemed like real nice local people.

dave1959

Did'nt know they had another branch, Might not be tha same....

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Trying to get a good load of topsoil around here is hit and miss at best. I have yet to get a load of what I would call good top soil -- despite being described that way on the phone. Probably the only way is to call and get some prices you like, then ask to come look at it before you buy. Just because you got a good load one time, does not mean the next will be the same. Not like the soil is being manufactured in a factory to exact specifications.

My experience:

Earnshaw: It was well screened but appeared to be mostly sand and clay. Kind of a medium brown when dry. Grass did not take well to it. This was 10 years ago or so.

Bean on Indian Bridge Road. Nice guy, but the quality of the soil was not the best when I got it. This was last year.

Last time I was at AAA Materials (last summer) off of Route 5 (now owned by the Trading Post), they had a few big piles of top soil. One looked exceptionally deep brown. Again, I would go down there and ask to look at the pile they would be loading from for your delivery.

The best soil I ever found was from a developer near Sandgates who had stripped it off his lots. Problem was he would not deliver and doing it by the pickup truck load was painful. But, it was beautiful topsoil.

Last edited:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
The best soil I ever found was from a developer near Sandgates who had stripped it off his lots. Problem was he would not deliver and doing it by the pickup truck load was painful. But, it was beautiful topsoil.

I hate when developers strip the top soil from the lot! At my first house it was impossible to get anything to grow in rock solid clay.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Well, I had 6 cubic yards of top soil delivered from Earnshaws last week and it looked and had the consistency of Nestlies Quick powder. $190.80 then $100 to deliver less than a mile. They were very nice people but I wasn't expecting what I got.

I had Bowles deliver 8 cubic yards of beautiful clean dark mulch last month from Great Mills to Mechanicsville for $265. Maybe Bowles should get into the top soil business? :coffee:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Well, I had 6 cubic yards of top soil delivered from Earnshaws last week and it looked and had the consistency of Nestlies Quick powder. $190.80 then $100 to deliver less than a mile. They were very nice people but I wasn't expecting what I got.

I had Bowles deliver 8 cubic yards of beautiful clean dark mulch last month from Great Mills to Mechanicsville for $265. Maybe Bowles should get into the top soil business? :coffee:

:lol:

I tried to warn you about Earnshaw's, but nnooooooooooo, you didn't listen.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, I had 6 cubic yards of top soil delivered from Earnshaws last week and it looked and had the consistency of Nestlies Quick powder. $190.80 then $100 to deliver less than a mile. They were very nice people but I wasn't expecting what I got. :

That's exactly how I would describe the screened topsoil I had delivered a couple years back..but it was from a different very reputable outfit than Earnshaws. Oops. I learned the hard way that I did not want screened topsoil after all when just filling and grading..just good quality topsoil skimmed from a construction site with plenty of heavier 'organic matter' still in it.

The only thing I would order the screened stuff for again would be to prepare my own soil mix for raised beds, and would be adding compost and soil lighteners (perlite) etc and mixing it all up before using it.

bulldog

When we had our pool put in last year we got about 80 tons of fill and 40 tons of top soil from Bay Country Contractors. The stuff we got was very good dirt and grass is growing well in it this year.
The office is 301-475-3902.
Good Luck

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
So I take it my Nestlies Quick powder is not going to be the answer for our clay garden. My house was built on farm land in 2006 and of course they stripped away the good stuff. We tried to grow things last year and it barely grew then eventualy died. The weeds grew strong though!

bulldog

So I take it my Nestlies Quick powder is not going to be the answer for our clay garden. My house was built on farm land in 2006 and of course they stripped away the good stuff. We tried to grow things last year and it barely grew then eventualy died. The weeds grew strong though!

How big of a garden are you making? You may want to go down to Meadows in Leonardtown and get some of their leaf-grow and mix that in with your existing dirt. I think it's about $30.00 for a skid-loader scoop full which will go a long way. You can also get topsoil that is not screened and therefore not the fine, fine powder that is going to wash away.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
How big of a garden are you making? You may want to go down to Meadows in Leonardtown and get some of their leaf-grow and mix that in with your existing dirt. I think it's about $30.00 for a skid-loader scoop full which will go a long way. You can also get topsoil that is not screened and therefore not the fine, fine powder that is going to wash away.

It's about 10' x 20'. I'll roll down to Meadows and get a load leaf-grow in my Sport Trac. Hopefully it's not to heavy.

bulldog

It's about 10' x 20'. I'll roll down to Meadows and get a load leaf-grow in my Sport Trac. Hopefully it's not to heavy.

It'll make you a little squatty, but you'll be okay. Till that stuff in real good and you'll be in great shape.
Good luck.