homemade food business in St. Mary's County

libby

Does anyone have any creative ideas for how to start a home based food business and still be in compliance with Health Dept. laws? It seems a person cannot really "test the market" for a product because you can't operate and try to sell out of your home, so you have to invest in a commercial kitchen property and equipment right up front.
Do any kitchens rent space for such a purpose? If I could spend a couple hours a day in some else's already approved facility, that might work depending upon location.

red_explorer

check your messages

Does anyone have any creative ideas for how to start a home based food business and still be in compliance with Health Dept. laws? It seems a person cannot really "test the market" for a product because you can't operate and try to sell out of your home, so you have to invest in a commercial kitchen property and equipment right up front.
Do any kitchens rent space for such a purpose? If I could spend a couple hours a day in some else's already approved facility, that might work depending upon location.

Libby, sending you a message.

Gripper

I did some research on this awhile back and was really disappointed to find you can't do it in Maryland. I believe there was some petitions going around to try and change the law in Maryland regarding private home kitchens. You might want to look into supporting that bill.

red_explorer - I would be interested in hearing your take on it too. :)

Clem_Shady

Dress Amish...

:whistle:

jedi2814

Dress Amish...

:whistle:

No joke!! You can get away with a lot if you call yourself an "On Farm Kitchen". You have to get approved, but all that really requires is relative cleanliness and potable water (which the Amish have delivered in trucks since their wells can't pass).

libby

Okay, could someone explain to me why the Health Dept. doesn't tell me that? Don't they want economic development?
I told my dh what you said, jedi, and he laughed at the idea that the gov't would actually help me by giving me an alternative!
I've tried to find the law/code online, with no luck. If I call the Health Dept. back AGAIN, I wonder if I'll get an honest answer about what my options are.

Thanks for the help!

Gripper

I'm learning...

From what I found in my research, and I agree it was not easy to find anything, but to qualify as a farm, farming has to be your MAIN source of income. If that is the case, then you can sell baked goods at farmers markets and roadside stands. If your not a farmer, you have to have a separate kitchen from the one you make your daily meals in. That means you have to rent a commercial kitchen or have one built in your home that is separate and used only for your business. As I said, there was a bill out to try and change this, I think it was House Bill 607 (Private Home Kitchens)... but it did not pass. Hopefully they will introduce another.

Erin

Okay, could someone explain to me why the Health Dept. doesn't tell me that? Don't they want economic development?
I told my dh what you said, jedi, and he laughed at the idea that the gov't would actually help me by giving me an alternative!
I've tried to find the law/code online, with no luck. If I call the Health Dept. back AGAIN, I wonder if I'll get an honest answer about what my options are.

Thanks for the help!

Could you do it off the books? Cooking for 'friends' that would 'reimburse' you for the food/time. As your hobbie ;-)
Would have loved to pick up a home-made meal instead of using Early Bird. Yikes!

libby

From what I found in my research, and I agree it was not easy to find anything, but to qualify as a farm, farming has to be your MAIN source of income. If that is the case, then you can sell baked goods at farmers markets and roadside stands. If your not a farmer, you have to have a separate kitchen from the one you make your daily meals in. That means you have to rent a commercial kitchen or have one built in your home that is separate and used only for your business. As I said, there was a bill out to try and change this, I think it was House Bill 607 (Private Home Kitchens)... but it did not pass. Hopefully they will introduce another.

I actually do have a separate kitchen; we have an in-law apt., so I could use that kitchen. It would not be the family's main source of income since my husband has a job. If I was using it as my own, separate source of income would they let me, I wonder?

tipsymcgee

Not absolutely certain but it sounds like what you want to do would have to be characterized as catering, meaning the kitchen would have to be inspected and approved by health dept, and also meaning you'd have to have commercial equipment. Even wild game meat processors have to have stainless equipment and have to be approved by health dept. A guy near me got shut down recently for selling muskrat meat without approved licensing & equipment.

Otter

Nothing to see here
..., and also meaning you'd have to have commercial equipment. Even wild game meat processors have to have stainless equipment

:yeahthat: not only stainless steel equipment, but counter/storage space also..so you're basically looking at total re-habbing your current 'in-law' kitchen with a good chunk of change.

Tomcat

Anytime

To answer your question, yes they do. Check with most any of the local caterers or any of the fire departments, Moose Lodge, VFW's etc. that have a commercial kitchen. Had a good friend did what you seem to be trying to do many years ago. She rented the local VFD kitchen in the middle of the week when they weren't busy.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Good luck. We looked into that and realized that in order to sell any foods to the public was a huge undertaking, not to mention expensive. Everything has to be commercial grade, construction is health department approved not to mention plans etc.
If you are doing it on a part time basis try one of the firehouses. Then you probably will get nailed by the tax people.
Again - good luck on your journey through the bureaucratic maze.
:buddies:

nosey

My husband and I would love to set up a commercial kitchen that folks could rent out to be able to start up a business of their own in AA County. We would need a backer to do this as a commercial grade kitchen is pretty expensive. We have visions of an incubator of sorts to provide a steady supply to local markets and "buy local" spots.