Internet in St. Inigoes?

C

county_girl

If you live in Saint Inigoes, what are you using for internet access? There is no DSL and Metrocast wants to charge me $2700 to run cable lines. I'm thinking about Satelite or broadband modem? Please tell me what you are using and how you like it...Thanks!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If you live in Saint Inigoes, what are you using for internet access? There is no DSL and Metrocast wants to charge me $2700 to run cable lines. I'm thinking about Satelite or broadband modem? Please tell me what you are using and how you like it...Thanks!

We use our cell phones..

Easy Peasy, and the cheapest (free) option if you already have a smart phone

BernieP

Resident PIA

A Verizon Wireless hotspt with something like 3G is $30 (not exact for either). I know someone who just compared the cost of the wireless hotspot and the Metrocast data only package and the Verizon plan was lower.
Just know that you do not have UNLIMITED internet access, there is a limit.
Know what the additional cost will be if you exceed that limit.

ylexot

Super Genius
A Verizon Wireless hotspt with something like 3G is $30 (not exact for either). I know someone who just compared the cost of the wireless hotspot and the Metrocast data only package and the Verizon plan was lower.
Just know that you do not have UNLIMITED internet access, there is a limit.
Know what the additional cost will be if you exceed that limit.

Also know that the speed is slower than cable (but still pretty fast).

I use cable.

ylexot

Super Genius
Then how come she wouldn't? If there are already cable lines, why would they need to run new ones for her? :confused:

Depends on the distance from the current line. They'll do a short distance for free (I think), but if you're far off the road, it is priced by the foot.

I think you can actually run it yourself, but you'd have to check with Metrocast.

formerp3sailor

I use Metrocast but only because my Verizon service signal is horrible (on a good day, i get a bar). If you have a smartphone (with data package) and a decent signal, you can download a program called PDAnet. Tether your phone to your computer and surf to your heart's delight. There is no additional cost because it all comes out of the data, nothing additional.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Then how come she wouldn't? If there are already cable lines, why would they need to run new ones for her? :confused:

Maybe they don't have cable lines. Based on the cost quoted "Metrocast wants to charge me $2700 to run cable lines", it sounds like a long run, which would mean they would also need to install amplifiers to boost the signal.

I use Metrocast but only because my Verizon service signal is horrible (on a good day, i get a bar). If you have a smartphone (with data package) and a decent signal, you can download a program called PDAnet. Tether your phone to your computer and surf to your heart's delight. There is no additional cost because it all comes out of the data, nothing additional.

Just be aware of home much of the monthly data plan you are using. "Unlimited" it is not.

pennylane

My Verizon Wireless hotspot is $60 per month - pretty costly but it beats dial up! Unfortunately I'm still obligated to a 2 year plan or I would use my smart phone.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
You know where we used to live. You know where we live now. 1/4 of a mile away separates the two houses. The old house had cable, the new house doesn't. To run it the additional span to reach us now, we'd have to pay something like $17K to get cable. Ain't gonna happen.

We use PDAnet to connect via our smart phones. Works like a charm. :yay:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You know where we used to live. You know where we live now. 1/4 of a mile away separates the two houses. The old house had cable, the new house doesn't. To run it the additional span to reach us now, we'd have to pay something like $17K to get cable. Ain't gonna happen.

We use PDAnet to connect via our smart phones. Works like a charm. :yay:

That is infreakingsane! You know they had to roll past your new hood with the cable to get to your old hood.

I think it's a scam. :mad:

C

county_girl

Where and how do you use this PDAnet? That would be great:) Thanks for the info!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Where and how do you use this PDAnet? That would be great:) Thanks for the info!

PDANet is an application for a smartphone.

If you have a smart phone you can go the "Market" and search for it, or look under free applications.

Install it on your phone, and any and all PCs and laptops you may want to use it on. Other than the 29.99 data charges it's FREE!!

There is a pay for version, and if you like it, use it, it's only fair you go back and pay the developer for it.

idiganthro

We have Hughes Net and don't recommend it. It's expensive for very limited bandwidth and slow. Faster than dial up, though. We hear Metrocast will be out our way very soon.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My Verizon Wireless hotspot is $60 per month - pretty costly but it beats dial up! Unfortunately I'm still obligated to a 2 year plan or I would use my smart phone.

I know they have a $30 a month plan (someone I know just got one). But like the cellphone data package they don't advertise the lower cost option. Most people are probably paying $30 per month for the upper end data package for their smart phone. But when I told them I needed to reduce my phone bill they offered me a $15 a month option, the analysis of my account showed we weren't using that many GBytes and would be under the limit of the cheaper plan.
Every plan they offer, even the "unlimited", has limits.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
You have one other option to use the cable. If you own or can get an agreement with the closest possible connection (perhaps a friendly neighbor). Jefa Tech in Hollywood Md. can hook you up to an internet connection over a very long distance up to about 3 miles using antennas that point at one another.

JEFA Tech: Secure Wireless Point to Point Bridge Kit

Call and talk to AJ. If you can find a internet connection ~Line of sight~

Perhaps a dish antenna on roof aimed at dish antenna on a neighbor roof.