Did Verizon Inform You?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Verizon Customers Exposed in Massive Data Breach
Article:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Customers of Verizon Communications had their email addresses exposed in a massive online data breach last week, according to an email to customers obtained by Reuters.

In what could be one of the biggest such attacks in U.S. history, a computer hacker penetrated the online marketer Epsilon, which controls the customer email databases for a broad swath of companies.

Customers of about 50 companies, from banks to retailers and hotels, had their names or email addresses exposed in the attack.

Verizon, the largest U.S. mobile telephone carrier, informed customers on Tuesday that it was part of the Epsilon data breach.

"Epsilon has assured us that the information exposed was limited to email addresses, and that no other information about you or your account was exposed," Verizon said in an email to a customer sent on Tuesday evening.

The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

----
Hmmmmm....reading the comments made me wonder who did Verizon contact?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Follow-Up/Related News

Data Breach Shows Risk

Excerpt:
"Given the phishing activity it feels like a hacker crime ring. It's not a nation state or an intelligence agency. It's clearly someone interested in profit off of this data," he said.

Joris Evers, spokesman for McAfee, said individuals as well as companies should be on the lookout for tricks. Addresses gathered from Epsilon, he said, could be a treasure trove for cyberattackers who could use the information to trick unsuspecting individuals out of more valuable information such as credit card numbers and home addresses.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Yes, I got an e-mail yesterday saying my address had been compromised and I changed my password.

What is of more concern to me is that Yahoo deleted everything from my e-mail last Wednesday. All messages from all folders were sent to the trash bin (I managed to save that), and every contact was deleted. Yahoo and Verizon are still trying to restore my contact list, they've gotten 9 out of a coupe hundred :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I received the email from Verizon, and this morning I got one from Fidelity.

The news people wring their hands about internet being blocked in some third world #### hole, but I have to say - I'd have no problem with that. The vast majority of our spammers, hackers and general fraudsters come from these countries. So if their dictator wants to shut them down, I'm all for it.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Tivo sent me an email saying their system was hacked and all they (hackers) got were email addresses.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I usually read these e-mails and find them to be a phishing lure. Only the second time it's actually been from a service I use that was warning me of the breach.

Which is a good lead-in to remind people:

If you receive an email notice from a company you do business with, DO NOT click on any of the links. Go directly to the site, typing in the URL directly, to log into your account and make any needed changes or verifications.

NEVER EVER!! send account or credit card information through email.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
My account was hacked, everybody on my contact list got

I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now, I made a little trip to UK and I misplaced my passport and credit cards, please I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I need to get a new passport, and get on the next available flight home. I've been to the embassy, they're willing to help, but I'm out of cash and I have minimum access from here. Can you loan me some money and I'll be willing to pay you as soon as I get home.
Please reply as soon as you get this message, so I can forward the details as to where to send the funds, you can try reaching me on this number for now, +447024035615

I await your response

Feel free to call the number

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I haven't received any information from Verizon but my email account with AOL (which Verizon has listed as my contact email) was hacked this morning.

All of my contacts received links to click.

I rarely use the account and most of the scam emails were returned as undeliverable.

BOP

My account was hacked, everybody on my contact list got
Quote:
I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now, I made a little trip to UK and I misplaced my passport and credit cards, please I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I need to get a new passport, and get on the next available flight home. I've been to the embassy, they're willing to help, but I'm out of cash and I have minimum access from here. Can you loan me some money and I'll be willing to pay you as soon as I get home.
Please reply as soon as you get this message, so I can forward the details as to where to send the funds, you can try reaching me on this number for now, +447024035615

I await your response

Feel free to call the number

Yeah...overseas number at like, $99.00 an hour.

Besides, have you been telling your friends and relatives you're Obama and you're gonna give them money out of you stash?