Reykjavic

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just finished reading Endgame, which is a biography of Bobby Fisher (good book, btw). Anyway, he lived in Iceland the last part of his life, and the descriptions made me want to go there and be a crazy recluse as well.

How many of you have been, and is that a good place to vacation?

I have a relative that spent a week or two there because of their work (it was a long time ago, can't recall how long it was). They had great things to say about Iceland, particularly the natural beauty to be seen there.

Let's plan a forum group trip.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I've never been there but everyone I've known who has been there had nothing but positive things to say.

Vince

Only flew into Keflavik on the base in the middle of a snow storm. Never made it to town. Come to think of it, everytime I flew in there, it was in a snow storm. :shrug:

limblips

I was stationed there in the 70's for 3 years. It is the most diverse environment I have ever seen. Glaciers, geysers, caves, beautiful waterfalls, hot mud pits, volcanos all within 100 miles. Contrary to most peoples belief, it is not excessivly cold there. The wind does blow a lot and the temps rarely exceed 70 but it is dry and comfortable with a light jacket. If you go, I can suggest some great site seeing trips. The people are usually nice and crime is almost non-existent. Their economic state is rough right now and the prices tend to be high. The Hotel Loftleider is around 100 euros for a double. If you go, forumites will be expecting pics and a travel report. It is a trip you won't regret or forget!

I just finished reading Endgame, which is a biography of Bobby Fisher (good book, btw). Anyway, he lived in Iceland the last part of his life, and the descriptions made me want to go there and be a crazy recluse as well.

He was the child prodigy chess player right? :popcorn:

This reminded me that I've always wanted to stay at the Ice Motel, but when I looked it up, found it was in Sweden, not Iceland.... :dummy:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I spent a few days in Reykjavik downtown many years ago. An incredibly good time..the nightlife is..or was...incredible. But I was a lot younger then.

Never managed to get out in the countryside. Having lived and worked in other Scandinavian countries (mainly Norway) I whole heartedly recommend visiting any one or all of them. Be advised though..they are quite expensive all around.

Inkd

I spent six months there while in the Navy and thought it was a great place.

The Blue Lagoon was great, a natural hot spring where you go to soak. Man, you will be relaxed like you have never thought possible!!!

Depending on when you go you will have lots of daylight or lots of darkness. In the dark season it looks like you can reach out and touch the northern lights.

We were warned that the guys liked to fight after drinking to much, especially after the clubs let out but I never saw any of that. I always had a great time when I went out.

It was a bit expensive from what I remember to go out for a night of dinner and drinking.

Heresathought1

I was stationed there for a year 1986 to 1987. It is a strange place because the land is so new relative to the rest of the planet. There is no vegetation to speak of so vivid color is the thing you will notice is missing. Great expanses of white, blue sky, blowing wind. I saw the northern lights there and count it as one of my great life experiences. The days in summer are 20 hours long and the "dark" hours are like blue twilight. The nights in winter are the inverse. The natives are typical nordic, tall and fair and you will find they all speak flawless english. They don't believe in God but they do believe in fairies and trolls, perhaps because they all seem to be heavy drinkers. I enjoyed my time there but I would never go back because it is such an empty place. Make sure you see the Icelandic ponies and buy a sweater.

acommondisaster

Air Iceland used to run some pretty sweet 3 or 4 day packages. Not sure if they still do. We were always tempted to go, but had no one to watch the kiddies.

Anyone I know who was stationed there said good things about it, and the ice cream's supposed to be especially good.

residualvisuals

black widow
The Blue Lagoon was great, a natural hot spring where you go to soak. Man, you will be relaxed like you have never thought possible!!!

I don't know when you were there, but apparently since my dad was stationed there in the very beginning of the 90s, they've changed the Blue Lagoon into something more of a spa than the natural place with locker rooms it used to be. Another thing that might be expensive now.

They don't believe in God but they do believe in fairies and trolls, perhaps because they all seem to be heavy drinkers.

My parents used to have me put a shoe on the windowsill during the Christmas season, and the "trolls" would put a little gift or treat in it each night. It was a pretty cool culture. I miss it. What I remember of it, at least.

I was thinking about a trip there and an Enduro M/C tour. Then I looked at the average temps and decided I didn't want to.