I have a stupid question

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We station our military all over the world - not just to break things and kill people, but for....whatever reason.

Do other countries do this? Like, do the South Koreans have a base here in the US? Are there Bahraini military folks over here? Any Icelanders?

Someone please school me and explain.

Vince

Never heard of or seen a foreign military base in the US. Not allowed. However, there are foreign military on US bases getting training.

We station our military all over the world - not just to break things and kill people, but for....whatever reason.

Do other countries do this? Like, do the South Koreans have a base here in the US? Are there Bahraini military folks over here? Any Icelanders?

Not that I have ever heard of... :confused:

Clem_Shady

Ask about the German pilots in New Mexico...

:whistle:

glhs837

Power with Control

Quite simply, we position them where we have interests that we cannot be sure that the locals would either care enough, or have enough resources to safeguard them.

Most of it came out of the Cold War, really, keeping forces dispersed and ready to go. A lot of that has drawn down over time, and been redistributed to be ready for other threats. You cant respond globally in hours if your initial forces take days to arrive. So you need forces hours away from most places, at least enough to keep the enemy engaged while you muster the forces to go on the offensive.

limblips

PREMO Member

More Iceland info for you. They don't have a military. We had a standing agreement to be their military support from WW-2 through during the cold war.

Clem_Shady

Quite simply, we position them where we have interests that we cannot be sure that the locals would either care enough, or have enough resources to safeguard them.

Most of it came out of the Cold War, really, keeping forces dispersed and ready to go. A lot of that has drawn down over time, and been redistributed to be ready for other threats. You cant respond globally in hours if your initial forces take days to arrive. So you need forces hours away from most places, at least enough to keep the enemy engaged while you muster the forces to go on the offensive.

And now we're bankrupt and paying $3 plus per gallon so rag-heads can pay .29 cents.

Works for me.

:popcorn:

Clem_Shady

More Iceland info for you. They don't have a military. We had a standing agreement to be their military support from WW-2 through during the cold war.

They don't even have money anymore either after Wall Street sold them all those bad mortgage bonds.

:killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Take it up with the government - I'm just curious how it works with military exchange.

We have officer exchange programs with many, many countries. They come here..we have some go there. The durations and duties vary considerably...

We also exchange civilian technical personnel with foreign equivalent organizations..between NAVSEA and the German MoD, for example.

But we tend to be unique in how we maintain and staff foreign bases with enlisted, commissioned and civilian personnel.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Take it up with the government - I'm just curious how it works with military exchange.

glhs837 had a great response, short and to the point.
Now explain to me how this "ignore" feature works, it's gone from humours nuisance to SPAM.

BTW, does putting one persona on ignore automatically link in the entire family?

Clem_Shady

Now explain to me how this "ignore" feature works, it's gone from humours nuisance to SPAM.

BTW, does putting one persona on ignore automatically link in the entire family?

Enjoy your furlough...

:howdy:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Last edited:
R

retiredweaxman

Assuming you are serious in your question...easy to add to iggy list. Click on his name then click on iggy. No more posts will be visible and al lyou will see is XXX's post is hidden because XXX is on ignore. No, it will not take the entire family of names with it. You have to do each one. I have 5-6 on iggy now...

glhs837

Power with Control
As far as Vrais question, I suppose we need to pin it down a little. I took it to ask about actual bases overseas, places like Misawa, Japan and Kadena, on Okinawa, or Sigonella Sicily. Not individual members of the military serving tours to learn or act as liaison, but bases that actually have military equipment and such.

that was what you are talking about, right?

Clem_Shady

About all those times you've had me on iggy...

Assuming you are serious in your question...easy to add to iggy list. Click on his name then click on iggy. No more posts will be visible and al lyou will see is XXX's post is hidden because XXX is on ignore. No, it will not take the entire family of names with it. You have to do each one. I have 5-6 on iggy now...

Illegal Paliens are not only an uneducated work-force, but they can lie in English.

:whistle:

BernieP

Resident PIA
As far as Vrais question, I suppose we need to pin it down a little. I took it to ask about actual bases overseas, places like Misawa, Japan and Kadena, on Okinawa, or Sigonella Sicily. Not individual members of the military serving tours to learn or act as liaison, but bases that actually have military equipment and such.

that was what you are talking about, right?

That's pretty much how I read her question. We also have forces in places like Haiti, nothing permanent, but a standing force doing humaitarian relief.
There are probably several other places in the world where US forces are temporarily deployed providing humanitarian aid.