Calvert County Public School Layoffs

jedi2814

I heard that layoffs have begun in the Calvert County Public School system. People from the board showed up at least one school yesterday and informed certain teachers that they would not have jobs as of June 30. Anyone else heard anything?

latinamomma

Transam's wife
I can tell you for a fact that they have done the samething here in St. Mary's . There is a teacher that gives his all to the kids and he is being let go of! It totally sucks! I think it's stupid that they are getting rid of the teachers that give a darn and keeping the ones that don't care .

red_explorer

well

I can tell you for a fact that they have done the samething here in St. Mary's . There is a teacher that gives his all to the kids and he is being let go of! It totally sucks! I think it's stupid that they are getting rid of the teachers that give a darn and keeping the ones that don't care .

Unless it happened yesterday, it hasnt happened yet...unless it's an untenured teacher, in which case, they'd probably be a first year teacher. My neighbor told me that they are expecting layoffs, but have been told no decisions have been, or will be made until after the Commissioners complete the budget, because Dr. Martirano doesnt know what he has to work with.

sparkyaclown

St Marys County teachers will not know until May 2 after the April 26 Commissioner's meeting whether they have jobs next year or not. As of right now the non-tenured are not expected to be able to keep their jobs.

glhs837

Power with Control
but....but, I thought Calvert County loved children more than St Marys?:sarcasm:

(given, of course that money equals love)

greeneyes36

St Marys County teachers will not know until May 2 after the April 26 Commissioner's meeting whether they have jobs next year or not. As of right now the non-tenured are not expected to be able to keep their jobs.

wasnt the title of this thread CALVERT COUNTY??
:eyebrow:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Thanks, greeny....these forums would be a LOT easier to read if the topics were stuck to..

:yeahthat:
While we're on the subject, my email got hacked and everybody on my contact list got an email saying I was in England with no passport or money, the embassy was helping me out with a new passport but could you send me a few bucks.

Catman2

:yeahthat:
While we're on the subject, my email got hacked and everybody on my contact list got an email saying I was in England with no passport or money, the embassy was helping me out with a new passport but could you send me a few bucks.

Clever guy.....35,000 posts....all drivel.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Calvert has given out some layoff notices although I don't know how many. If you live in Calvert, now is the time to go onto the school board's website and check out the budget, speak out at hearings, etc.

laynpipe

the real problem here is that its the students that ultimatley suffer the consequences of layoffs. more students in a class, less teachers for after school activities, less money for programs, etc....

another few years and it will be expected that these students teach themselves. shamefull.....

greeneyes36

Yep. I know a teacher in Calvert in her 2nd year who was told that her job will not be there after this year.

very sad... some of the "non-tenured" teachers are the absolute GEM in a specific grade-team... i'm worried for my daughters current teacher. she has done SO MUCH with her class...has the gift thats needed to work with kids. she doesnt bring drama to the classroom like some i've heard about in other school systems. just a well rounded woman with alot of teaching experience. she left her teaching position years ago to be home with her small children, and returned last year (this school year)...and now, who knows what will happen. i pray she is able to be retained. the county is losing one heck of a staff member if they let her go i know that much!! :(

laynpipe

very sad... some of the "non-tenured" teachers are the absolute GEM in a specific grade-team... i'm worried for my daughters current teacher. she has done SO MUCH with her class...has the gift thats needed to work with kids. she doesnt bring drama to the classroom like some i've heard about in other school systems. just a well rounded woman with alot of teaching experience. she left her teaching position years ago to be home with her small children, and returned last year (this school year)...and now, who knows what will happen. i pray she is able to be retained. the county is losing one heck of a staff member if they let her go i know that much!! :(

i agree with you 100%. ive said it over and over. we dont need to cut educational spending. yes we need cuts, but take it from somewhere else. these teachers are building our children into future leaders. dont take a budget shortfall out on them..... the boe and county commissioners are shameful for doing this.