Newbie, might be relocating to MD

K

Kristie79

Hello all! My name is Kristie and I am from Lancaster PA. My family and I like to travel to Maryland every weekend in the summer to crab at Crisfield and check out the beach in OC. My husband and I have been considering relocating to the southern Maryland area, because it just seems so more peacefull than up here. We have TMI (Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant) Just up the road and lots of industrial areas...seems that when we travel to Southern Maryland, there isnt so much.

Any imput on relocating to a good area? We have 2 daughters, the oldest is in Kindergarten this year.

PS...are there houses to rent? We arent looking to buy until our credit is somewhat decent, in oh..say, a decade or two? :rolleyes:

Also...pardon my ignorance but when my husband was a child, he was told a story of the "hatchet man". It seems that his family frequented Janes Island State Park alot during the summer and that is where he heard the story of the alleged excaped assylum inmate...the hatchet man...please tell me this is baloney....:confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
If you're feeling homesick for radiation, move to Calvert! Just kidding, the plant down here has a great safety record, otherwise I wouldn't live just up the beach from it.

Your note looks like your more interested in the eastern shore than southern Maryland is that right? Typically southern MD is defined as Calvert, Charles, and Saint Mary's counties.

Bring LOTS of money, you'll need it to buy your house!

Vince

Hi Kristie, I'm an old PA transplant myself. Originally from the Easton/Allentown area.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No hatchet man that I am aware of, but I am sure we have some willing to take up the trade. BTW we are on the other side of the bay from where Crisfield is.

K

Kristie79

Kwilla.....

If those are ghost stories, then I am hooked! Living in PA, I study the Battle Of Gettysburg since its all about ghosts! LOL

Tlatchaw....Ive always wanted to live near salt water....so anywhere near the bay would make me happy..

Thanks for your replies!!!

Kristie

itsbob

I bowl overhand
KRISTIE,

Came down here from PA last January myself.. and no kidding,, they have JOBS here.. even ones that PAY!! If you or husband have any kind of technical, or administrative background you will do really well here. Between the rivers and the bay, there is a LOT to do here in the spring and summer, rather quiet here in the winter time, but the winter time is VERY mild compared to where you are.

pilot

Kristie:

Sounds to me like you're confusing Southern Maryland with the Eastern Shore! We're nowhere near Crisfield, Janes Island, etc. *(unless you go by boat).

Our area is growing very rapidly. It's still more peaceful and quiet than a lot of places, but that is rapidly changing. It depends on what you're comparing it to. If you were moving here from San Diego or metro-D.C., I'd say we're a lot quieter. But we're definitely more crowded and congested than the Eastern Shore. I have no idea how it compares to Lancaster, Pa.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Kristie79
Hello all! My name is Kristie and I am from Lancaster PA. My family and I like to travel to Maryland every weekend in the summer to crab at Crisfield and check out the beach in OC. My husband and I have been considering relocating to the southern Maryland area, because it just seems so more peacefull than up here. We have TMI (Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant) Just up the road and lots of industrial areas...seems that when we travel to Southern Maryland, there isnt so much.

Any imput on relocating to a good area? We have 2 daughters, the oldest is in Kindergarten this year.

PS...are there houses to rent? We arent looking to buy until our credit is somewhat decent, in oh..say, a decade or two? :rolleyes:

Also...pardon my ignorance but when my husband was a child, he was told a story of the "hatchet man". It seems that his family frequented Janes Island State Park alot during the summer and that is where he heard the story of the alleged excaped assylum inmate...the hatchet man...please tell me this is baloney....:confused: :rolleyes:

Hi Kristie...and WELCOME!!!

Uhhh...what are you wearing?
:biggrin:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by Kristie79

Sounds like a normal urban legend to me and nothing more.

Nanny Pam

Welcome Kristie
I am a PA transplant too, but I live in Rehoboth Beach. I moved here from Pottstown, so I could do more salt water fishing. :dance: