Best swimming lessons for 10 yr. old?

buddscreekman

Who offers the best lessons for a child in any of the tri-county areas? Need quality instruction from someone experienced. Our daughter almost drowned when she was 4,and it really got under her skin and made her afraid. Unless she wants to be wearing water wings on her honeymoon,we need to find her some help. TIA.
I should clarify-she loves water,she just is scared to even attempt to hold her own without a float device.

1Blondie

Who offers the best lessons for a child in any of the tri-county areas? Need quality instruction from someone experienced. Our daughter almost drowned when she was 4,and it really got under her skin and made her afraid. Unless she wants to be wearing water wings on her honeymoon,we need to find her some help. TIA.
I should clarify-she loves water,she just is scared to even attempt to hold her own without a float device.

I know there is a lady named Gaylynn who teaches at the Hall pool in Prince Fred. I do not have a child in her class however I have watched from the sidelines. She talks in a calm, easy manner and smiles alot. Just some FYI...

teacherhm

My sister and I both took swim lessons at a woman's home in Huntingtown, MD in the early 90s. She still teaches them at her home off of Kamp Kauffman Rd. and is fantastic! Over 15 years of experience (probably more) and works at a local high school, as does her husband. My sister was very shy around any kind of pool-related activities, but she was great with her. Message me if you'd like her number or anything! :)

sexy_pants

Where are you located? St marys?

Where are you located? St marys?

Well, my Dad just threw me in the water and told me to go down and get a clam from the bottom. Maybe 6 feet deep and I had a dive mask. I learned to swim underwater for a while first. Then came up. I'd like to think he'd have come in after me if I didn't. I did get the clam though. I thought that was pretty cool, but we never ate them so now I don't get the point.

ljcwebster

I would suggest signing your daughter up for private lessons. With her fear she is probably reluctant to put her face in the water so she would be put in a class primarily composed of 5-7 year olds. Hall Aquatic Center in Prince Frederick offers private lessons and has a number of instructors so it is generally quite easy to schedule a time.

thurley42

HY;FR
Well, my Dad just threw me in the water and told me to go down and get a clam from the bottom. Maybe 6 feet deep and I had a dive mask. I learned to swim underwater for a while first. Then came up. I'd like to think he'd have come in after me if I didn't. I did get the clam though. I thought that was pretty cool, but we never ate them so now I don't get the point.

I'm glad you wrote this.....although I in no way would ever recommend it, I was tossed into a pool and told to swim.....I figured it out enough to get to the side....I realized that I could keep myself out of trouble and wasn't as scared and pretty much had it down that afternoon.

calikid

Where are you located? and how old is your daughter now? there are lessons at the new Leonardtown CSM pool, I'm an instructor there, great teachers, we follow red cross plan. Also lessons during the summer at Solomons Rec Center if you have base access, and many private lessons at pools like Breton Bay and Wildewood.

4ps

Shelly Mason in St. Mary's County is awesome!

I have her info if you want to message me. She just sent her emails around, does private lessons and my son took lessons from her since he was little.