US government shutdown averted by late night deal

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
LINK

"shutdown of the US federal government scheduled to begin on Saturday was averted after the Democrats and Republicans reached agreement only hours before midnight on budget spending cuts.

The shutdown would have triggered major disruptions across the country and could have set back the country's fragile economic recovery. Hundreds of federal agencies would have closed down and about 800,000 federal staff faced suspension.

The deal came after days of negotiation between Obama and the Republican House Speaker, John Boehner, and the Democratic leader in the Senate Harry Reid. A deal had appeared to be tantalisingly close several times but was not finalised, until Friday night.

Boehner, an hour before midnight, told journalists in Congress: "I am pleased that Senator Reid and the White House have come to an agreement that will cut spending and keep government open."

It would have been the first federal government shutdown since 1995-96 when there was a stand-off between the Republicans and the Clinton White House.

Barack Obama tore up his schedule for Friday, including the start of a family weekend break in Virginia, to concentrate on negotiations with Republicans. He had hoped to reach a compromise Friday morning but discussions dragged out throughout the day.

Obama portrayed the compromise as a tribute to US democracy as he said: "Tomorrow ... the entire federal government will be open for business."

Reid, like Obama, paid tribute to the Republicans in spite of the repeated clashes over the last week. "This has been a long process," Reid said. "It has not been an easy process. Both sides have had to make tough choices."

The Republicans forced the Democrats to agree to $39bn (£23bn) in spending cuts in this year's budget to September, $6bn more than the Democrats were prepared to accept earlier this week. In return, the Republicans dropped a demand to cut funding for Planned Parenthood, an organisation providing healthcare for women. Republicans objected to the organisation's links to abortion."

vince77

this is all a big joke...neither party has the guts to propose the cuts that will eventually have to be made...why?....because everybody wants cuts, as long as it doesn't effect them

ImnoMensa

Boehner folded up like a cheap suit.

Obama is LHAO.

38 billion dollars is less than 1% of the new budget.

chaotic

This is your captain!
Boehner folded up like a cheap suit.

Obama is LHAO.

38 billion dollars is less than 1% of the new budget.

It is about $78B below the FY11 request. DoD is anticipated to get $512B for FY11 total - original request was ~$549B.

That's a big chunk of difference, which will have an impact here. I know of a few big programs that can't get off the ground because of this.

It is about $78B below the FY11 request. DoD is anticipated to get $512B for FY11 total - original request was ~$549B.

That's a big chunk of difference, which will have an impact here. I know of a few big programs that can't get off the ground because of this.

I know of a couple that could save a hell of a lot of money by not flying on weekends.

theHypocrite

taking chances
this is just a soap opera staring con-men

the majority of American's (even those conned by FoxNews and those who think ever Muslim is a terrorist) are "against" the Afghan and Iraq War

so, we can easily save $20 billion/month by ending both Wars

so why can't the MSM and our elected leaders even discuss this ???

SamSpade

this is just a soap opera staring con-men

the majority of American's (even those conned by FoxNews and those who think ever Muslim is a terrorist) are "against" the Afghan and Iraq War

so, we can easily save $20 billion/month by ending both Wars

so why can't the MSM and our elected leaders even discuss this ???

I thought our President was supposed to end the wars?
And close Gitmo?
And try the detainees in New York?
AND balance the budget by the end of his first term?

Yeah, I'm convinced.

theHypocrite

taking chances
I thought our President was supposed to end the wars?
And close Gitmo?
And try the detainees in New York?
AND balance the budget by the end of his first term?

Yeah, I'm convinced.

i doubt if i could say anything in defense of the Great Capitulater who occupies, hopefully for one term only, 1600 Penn. Ave.