Union Shop

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Anybody know the Maryland statute that requires you to join a union if you work in a union shop?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
He's probably looking for one of those unions where everyone else pays, and he isn't required to, but he gets to use the union services if he needs it.

:popcorn:

I'm probably looking for an answer to the question.
You're probably an idiot

UNA

Anybody know the Maryland statute that requires you to join a union if you work in a union shop?

Do you mean the Maryland law that forces (for example) a teacher to be a member of the teacher's union as opposed to Virginia (where there are also unions) where you can join if you want to?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Do you mean the Maryland law that forces (for example) a teacher to be a member of the teacher's union as opposed to Virginia (where there are also unions) where you can join if you want to?

You are incorrect. My wife is not in the teachers union, and never has been.

UNA

You are incorrect. My wife is not in the teachers union, and never has been.

Maybe it's an old law then because I had originally gone to school to teach and that is what I was told. So I could be wrong :smile:

softtouch

The contract that the union has with the company can require union membership. This is called a closed shop as opposed to an open shop.
Some states have made closed shops illegal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You have to pay the union...

pay a union fee (typically called an "agency fee") that equals their share of what the union can prove is its costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment.

Except in extraordinary cases, the union's costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment do not equal the dues amount.

friendtofishes

Good for them! I wish I didn't have to pay my agency fees so I'm jealous!

The union can choose to enforce the law or not but the law states they can take union dues even if you aren't a member.

Not quite. Maryland is not a "right to work" state, but you can not be forced to join a union and if you choose not to 'join' you can not be forced to pay dues. An Agency fee, is only a portion of the dues paid by members and for that portion you get to be covered by the negotiated CBA as far as wages pension and benefits are concerned. Most Union constitution provide for non-member rights and responsibilities. Some of the benefits you might loose by not joining would be not having the right to vote on whether to accept a negotiated CBA or not, the right to representation above a certain level, typically mid level management.

One fact about unions that the typical american worker has forgotten is, A union is just that a group of workers that has joined together to create a better work environment. Its not just about better pay but better treatment.
Know your rights, research your options and make the decision to join based on what will work best for your family or individual situation.